Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

So, of these fascinating and tragic Elven Lords, which is your favorite?
Maedhros 65%  65%  [ 39 ]
Maglor 23%  23%  [ 14 ]
Celegorm 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Caranthir 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Curufin 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Amrod 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Amras 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 60
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 5th, 2007, 12:47 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

My favourites are Maedhros and Maglor, because they were least evil of the sons of Feänor, e.g. They cared for Elros and Elrond when Elwing left Middle-Earth to look for Eärendil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 5th, 2007, 1:12 pm 
Vala
Vala

Yeah--that's more or less the reason I like them over the others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2007, 4:18 pm 

I barely remember Feanor's son. Probably Maedhros or Celegorm..those are the two I remember best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 27th, 2007, 1:40 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

I think that of all, Maehdros was probably the most level headed of them all. Maglor was as well but I dont like Curufin and Celegorm. Sneaky they are and I dont like that for elven lords.

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 27th, 2007, 1:48 pm 
Vala
Vala

Celegorm and Curufin got on my nerves. A lot.

Maedhros was the most level headed for most of the book, but in the end, Maglor had the better sense--he wanted to let the Valar take the Silmarils back to Valinor, but Maedhros was the one who convinced him to sneak into the camp with him and steal them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 27th, 2007, 1:53 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

Maehdros had some of the best vision I feel. The union of maehdros, if more people had taken part may have actually worked as if they elven forces had enough men, maybe they would not have needed to ally with Ulfang. Maybe but thats just specualtion.

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 28th, 2007, 2:16 am 
Vala
Vala

Yeah, he certainly had good vision, but he was practically insane at the end of the book--who in there right mind would hold to a null oath to enter the camp of the Valar with just one companion, kill several guards, and steal the Silmarils?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 10:31 am 
Balrog
Balrog

^
yeah exactly. That's the reason why I said Maedhros and Maglor, because Maglor didn't wanna steal the Silmarils from the Valar at first. And I can also agree with you Aerandir that Celegorm and Curufin got on my nerves a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 12:53 pm 
Vala
Vala

So we agree on a point. That's cool. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2007, 6:38 pm 
Istari
Istari

History tells of all manner of people, great and small who have fallen for oaths and have performed enourmous evils out of desperation Aerandir, Maehdros was no different I think. He was bound to fulfill his oath, by whatever means necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 10:46 am 
Vala
Vala

Not at that time he wasnt, EBM. If you remember, Eonwe said that their Oath, their claim to the Silmarils, was void, because of the atrocities they had commited in its name. I agree that before he couldn't really "help" himself, but at that time, the Oath no longer had a hold on them--you should be able to realize that just by the fact that Maglor was not driven to fulfill it, either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 12:52 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^
yeah I agree with you Aerandir. Of course the sons of Feanor were driven by their oath during the First Age, but in the end Maglor didn't want to regain the Silmarils from the Valar whereas Maedhros still wanted to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 12:54 pm 
Vala
Vala

Right. I wasn't really arguing with you, though--that post was meant to point that out to EonwesBestMate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 2:40 pm 
Istari
Istari

Aerandir wrote:
Not at that time he wasnt, EBM. If you remember, Eonwe said that their Oath, their claim to the Silmarils, was void, because of the atrocities they had commited in its name. I agree that before he couldn't really "help" himself, but at that time, the Oath no longer had a hold on them--you should be able to realize that just by the fact that Maglor was not driven to fulfill it, either.

The sons of feanor swore it by Eru, naming Manwe and Varda as witnesses. Them and them alone, could release Maehdros from their oath, not Eonwe, though he be the herald of the Lord of Arda an dmightiest in arms of all in Arda. Maglor didnt want to have th silmariols in the end it is true but it required them to take them and lose them to fulfill the destiny set for the silmarils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 4:09 pm 
Vala
Vala

I'm not even going to bother arguing over this. Go read that section again, and then try arguing your point. You sound/look/whatever as though your forgetting that Eonwe is the Herald of Manwë--if he makes a declaration like that, it's from Manwë, not himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2007, 7:06 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

A small point but its likely that Maglor cast himself into the Great Sea. He did not live forever live on the shores of Middle-earth as is a said in the Silmarillion. There are no mentions of him in the later Ages.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next