Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Eldarin naming customs, but first...
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2012, 11:45 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

dreamingfifi wrote:
I think I put it too broadly, but the personal nature of the 2nd name especially means that people should focus on chosing names that match their characters - not just preexisting names. So, what I wrote wasn't wholly wrong, it just stepped a little too far in the interpretation.

Choosing names to match characters is good advice in any case, I think.

Quote:
I also think that I should knuckle down and collect everything Tolkien ever said about naming his elves and write a thorough breakdown of what he said when, but I just don't have time for it right now.

Even including The Book of Lost Tales? I remember this much at the moment: 'Note: Laigolas = green-leaf (...) But perhaps both were his names, as the Gnomes delighted to give two similar sounding names of dissimilar meaning, as Laigolas Legolast, Turin Turambar, etc. Legolas the ordinary form is a confusion of the two.' Of course this is a very early idea.

I'm not sure how much there is that is relevant to this topic in all of The History of Middle-Earth series and other sources, but again if brevity is wanted, I think adopting The Shibboleth of Feanor here can be well defended; and it's already briefer than LACE, leaving room for the addition of the seemingly Noldorin custom of the Chosen-name, and external cautions. But it's your web site obviously.

Quote:
(...) Sorry, I'm in panic mode right now...

Don't rush on my account. This thread gave me something to post in any event... and another opportunity to test my opinions about Elvish naming customs.

For now, good luck with your various endeavours!

Post subject: Re: Eldarin naming customs, but first...
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2012, 2:25 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Elthir wrote:
Quote:
I also think that I should knuckle down and collect everything Tolkien ever said about naming his elves and write a thorough breakdown of what he said when, but I just don't have time for it right now.

Even including The Book of Lost Tales? I remember this much at the moment: 'Note: Laigolas = green-leaf (...) But perhaps both were his names, as the Gnomes delighted to give two similar sounding names of dissimilar meaning, as Laigolas Legolast, Turin Turambar, etc. Legolas the ordinary form is a confusion of the two.' Of course this is a very early idea.

I'm not sure how much there is that is relevant to this topic in all of The History of Middle-Earth series and other sources, but again if brevity is wanted, I think adopting The Shibboleth of Feanor here can be well defended; and it's already briefer than LACE, leaving room for the addition of the seemingly Noldorin custom of the Chosen-name, and external cautions. But it's your web site obviously.
It would be quite interesting wouldn't? I'd make it chronological, tracking his notes on elven naming throughout the years. That way, if someone wanted to write a story using canon from his WW1 writings, they'd be able to do naming properly. It'd be a separate essay from the basic naming guide, for people who want to get deeper into the issue.

Profile       WWW