Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The books in other languages
PostPosted: April 5th, 2012, 4:00 pm 
Vala
Vala

Have you read The Lord of the Rings in a non-English translation? Have you read them in English? How did they compare?

I've read LotR in English around thirty times now, so when I read FotR in Slovak, it was a little jarring. The elegance of Tolkien's prose seemed rather lacking, honestly. The translation style seemed more suited to a book by R.A. Salvatore or something.

I do plan on reading LotR in German and in Russian before too long, though, so I'll get to read some more reviewed translations, which I expect to be better.

Post subject: Re: The books in other languages
PostPosted: April 5th, 2012, 4:05 pm 
Istari
Istari

I have read Tolkien's works only in Polish language. One translation was terrible, they changed even characters names. But one, made by a great and experienced woman, is really gorgeous and even if I don't know original, I can feel the genius in it.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2012, 7:25 pm 
Vala
Vala

Oh, so you have read them in different translations? How were they different, besides being more accurate?

PostPosted: April 6th, 2012, 12:58 am 
Istari
Istari

Well, this failed one seemed to be pushed, the choice of words were strange and most of the people in my country wanted the correction of original names (for example Frodo Baggins were Frodo Bagosz). But the woman's one had to be closest to original, because this time people who have read original were saying that is close. By the way, songs were completely different and were telling completely different stories.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2012, 3:16 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I am currently reading The Hobbit in english, but a few months ago I finished reading The Silmarillion in Portuguese and I must say it was a challenge to finish it. I'm now acquainted with Tolkien's writing style because of The Hobbit, but I've never tried reading the Silmarillion (even if only one chapter) on its original language, but IF the style is the same as in The Hobbit, then The Silmarillion in portuguese is seriously hard to read. Remember that english is not my mother-language, 30min spent on reading The Hobbit would leave me with a total of (+-)40 pages, while the same time spent on The Silmarillion would be something like 10 pages... I'm aware that The Silmarillion is way more describing than The Hobbit, but I always felt the need to start that page or paragraphs over at least 2 times, so as to not to lose all of the information/events due to the translator's work.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2012, 1:04 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Fortunately I have read all in English. Eventually i was curious and read The Hobbit in Spanish, and indeed it is different, no comparison at all reading it in English. That's why I strongly recommend everyone I know to read Tolkien, in english. Besides, since I lived in Barcelona for a year, I bought Farmer Giles of Ham in Catalan, and when I was living in Brasil, I read The Return of the King in Portuguese. Of course they remain great stories, but I enjoy them more in the original language, as everything!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 7th, 2012, 2:47 pm 
Vala
Vala

What is your first language, Ligandil? Do you think that it affected how you read the series? And you, mrita? Did you first read The Lord of the Rings in English, or in Portuguese?

PostPosted: April 7th, 2012, 4:17 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

It's spanish. I read The Hobbit in Spanish prior to doing so in English, and that was maybe 10 years ago, or more, and I don't remember exactly the sensation I got. Though of course I read it afterwards in English, and what can I say, it was better :-D . Nothing like reading an author in its original language, whether it be Dumas, Homer, or Tolkien ( I intend to read the first two in their original language some day).

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 7th, 2012, 5:03 pm 
Vala
Vala

That's very cool. I read it in English and only later read it in Slovak, and it was, of course, not as good in the latter.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2012, 11:32 am 

I first read the books in Dutch, when I was 12. I loved them at that moment, though I didn't like the way they had changed all the names (Baggins = Balins, the Shire = de Gouw). Two years later I first read the Hobbit in English, one year after that I read the entire trilogy in English.

I like them better in English, thought I can't really say why. I think it has to do with being able to read a book in the original language, so you get the feeling you can understand more of what the author wanted to tell. In translation, some details or little jokes usually get lost :confused:

PostPosted: April 29th, 2012, 6:59 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Aerandir wrote:
What is your first language, Ligandil? Do you think that it affected how you read the series? And you, mrita? Did you first read The Lord of the Rings in English, or in Portuguese?

I actually just ordered the lotr in english because I never read it, except the first chapter of the fellowship which i read in english. But my first experience with Tolkien's writing was in portuguese and it was hell(beautiful nonetheless)

PostPosted: July 12th, 2012, 7:26 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

i read the fellowship of the ring and the two towers in spanish, I found them very well and with respect to the translation I think is very good except the names of the places that are in Spanish: bagg end-bolson cerrado, the shire-la comarca, frodo baggins-frodo bolson

PostPosted: July 13th, 2012, 12:23 am 
Istari
Istari

princess belle wrote:
i read the fellowship of the ring and the two towers in spanish, I found them very well and with respect to the translation I think is very good except the names of the places that are in Spanish: bagg end-bolson cerrado, the shire-la comarca, frodo baggins-frodo bolson

Haha, that's great! Frodo bolson... :duh:

Well, I've only read the books in English, but I might try the Spanish versions at some point in a few years (I just finished my Foreign Language requirement for college with Spanish last semester, so it'll help me brush up on my Spanish after having dropped it for a while).

married Mr. Darcy 6/14/2012

PostPosted: July 13th, 2012, 3:30 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Haha, that's great! Frodo bolson... :duh:

Quote:
Well, I've only read the books in English, but I might try the Spanish versions at some point in a few years (I just finished my Foreign Language requirement for college with Spanish last semester, so it'll help me brush up on my Spanish after having dropped it for a while).

yes.. bolson hahaha :) so you know spanish?? omg hahaha great! es que el espaƱol es la ley! un poco complicado pero pues ya que sabes se hace mas facil.. well if someday you need help whit spanish i'm here! ask me wherever you what .. ok? :)

PostPosted: July 15th, 2012, 1:41 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

When I was studying french, I read The Hobbit in French. It's been such a long time though, I don't think I could do it now. I've forgotten all my French. :(

Profile       WWW