Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: REVIVAL 2012
PostPosted: August 11th, 2012, 8:03 am 

Johnny's Fan wrote:
I'd say keep it mainly from the perspective of moving it from the header will be a nightmare and will mean the bottom line of links will have to be completely re-arranged. :P

I know, I was also considering that.. But having a link on the header just for the sake of aesthetics and symmetry that leads to a cold deserted chatroom that doesn't even work - is this the standard A-U wants to display?? :teehee:

And I wonder when we will update the layout again? We could do with a fall-ish new skin but would anyone be up for designing it?

dreamingfifi wrote:
Perhaps a different chat service would be better, something that is more modern and is more compatible with people's browsers.

Do you know of any free chat services that could replace it?

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: August 13th, 2012, 3:42 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Eä wrote:
dreamingfifi wrote:
Perhaps a different chat service would be better, something that is more modern and is more compatible with people's browsers.

Do you know of any free chat services that could replace it?

I have no idea. I've never looked into it myself. It's not a direction that I've taken my own website in.

I know that a lot of the more modern websites are using Facebook's chat system - but that might be a little too much to do for a smaller website like this.

The best website chatrooms that I've seen were ones built into forums. That way the log-in is already taken care of, and no one can impersonate someone else on the forum. One I know of also uses the same coding system as the forum itself, so there's no confusing switching back and forth or need to learn a new set of commands. In the end, I think that a lot of what makes a chatroom successful is it just being simple to use, and having an active community of users. If there is a large community of active users - no one will care how difficult to use the chatroom is - just as long as they get their fix.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 20th, 2012, 1:40 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I don't know if this might be the time to perhaps start a new thread and get a whole new list started of what needs doing to the site and who would like to help with what, but I thought I would list some things that really should be happening right now, and maybe a mod would start a new thread if they see fit.

Anyway, I think considering it will only be a few months before a lot of Hobbity stuff floods the internet, and we'll have to keep on top of THAT, that it makes sense to really try and get stuff moving again and fix as much as we can before everything becomes really busy.

Now I know it will look like I'm just making lists here and have not been doing anything myself, but you'll see what I've been up to for the past several weeks shortly.

Anyway, here are the things I believe we need to concentrate on:

Hobbit Character Bios - we need some bios written like Arweb's for LotR. In depth and clear and just interesting to read. Probably the characters who are in both the Hobbit and LotR won't need to be written again.

Hobbit/LotR Videos - I really do believe that we need an Arwen Undomiel youtube channel. We shouldn't be linking to other sites for the Hobbit trailers and blogs. We should have our own channel and also have all the trailers and other goodies from LotR that while widely available on the internet, they are not available from us. We could then have trailer pages etc for both LotR and the Hobbit.

Scripts - I know Nurr has been working on these but would anyone else be willing to lend her hand?

Fan - To be honest, I don't know what is going on with the fanart and the fan poetry, I think I let Raina down a little bit by not being there when she needed me and now I'm not so sure if she wishes to continue with the fanart section. Also, we are always in need of new graphics banners, wallpapers etc to add. So maybe it would be nice to have a monthly submit thing where our graphics artists say, can have a certain number of art adding to the gallery.

I can't think of anything else to add at the moment, my brain is somewhat drugged up, but I'm sure others will have their own ideas and opinions as to where else we need to take this. I know there are a lot of dodgy links still, and also I'm noticing that a lot of the font sizes are different etc, which I'm surprised that my OCD didn't notice ages ago, so when I've finished with my bios, I will be going through the site to make all the fonts, headings etc more coordinated.

So yeah, that was about it really. Also, please bow down to Taur, without whom you would not have had such great updates recently. :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 20th, 2012, 10:47 am 

To the best of my knowledge I went through and fixed all the broken links. Where are you still finding them? If you direct me to them I can get on that.

Did we have someone start setting up a channel? I know there was a brief thing with videos, but I don't know if we have a set youtube channel right now. I can do that really easily if we don't have it yet.

I am still working on scripts and the poems - I can drop poems and work on character bios if you'd like.

I may not look like I've been doing a lot recently BUT I've been playing with code and trying to get it to where we can use css and divs and not tables all the time and I am so close and I just need to figure out one thing and yeah it doesn't affect viewers but it'll make things so much easier for us. (This is where I'm currently at-if you've got any idea how to make it be black all the way down I'm all ears. I'll be working on it again today and think I *might* be able to fix it-we'll see.)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 20th, 2012, 12:14 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

6am typo error. :duh: I actually don't know what I meant by broken links, I haven't found any. I know there are some font differences like I mentioned which I will be fixing, but as to broken links I have no idea either. :P

I think someone may have set one up for fan vids, but I'm not sure. We really need just an Arwen-Undomiel.com account to make it officially ours, and I don't know if or what the name of that account might be.

No, you have enough to be getting along with. :-) I was hoping that someone else, maybe one of the writers, would like to help with the character bios. I think if we are spread too thinly, we won't have enough time to get everything done.

I know you have been doing stuff, I just wanted to let people know where we are at here, and what other things we might need to work on. ;)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 20th, 2012, 2:51 pm 

JF, I think you're right, we need a fresh start and some new threads.
I've been thinking about locking the old ones but I wasn't sure if some people would miss them, but since most people involved a year ago isn't active at the moment I think it makes sense to do so now. I'll go ahead and lock our old threads (or maybe move them to Archive?) and then I suggest we make new threads for everything we need to do. For overview's sake I think we should make a thread for each specific task e.g. JF's list, that way we can keep the discussion limited and lock the thread when the job's done. What say ye?
If you guys approve, you can go ahead and start the threads, JF and Nurr, you guys seem to be the ones with the best overview at the moment. :-)

PostPosted: August 20th, 2012, 4:22 pm 

That sounds like a very good plan. I think moving them to the Archive is the best bet for making sure people find the right threads.

I made a youtube page for us. The username is arwenundomiel.com and the password is FrodoLives. I'm thinking we can use it both for making playlists of excellent LotR related things (like combining all of PJ's production videos to our channel) and for uploading any new videos our members make. Do we want to have anyone upload at will, or have one person in charge of that?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 20th, 2012, 8:03 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

^ I agree with that.

I think we need to definitely make sure that we have:

1) Any Hobbit trailers
2) Any video blogs
3) Any footage from comic con, TV chat shows etc that feature the cast and crew talking about the Hobbit (the last one might be a big ask so it's not like it has to happen overnight)

Then there should be also LoTR stuff. Again similar kind of things for the Hobbit, but the priority has to be the Hobbit.

As for fan stuff, I'm up for whatever people wish to add regarding that. I guess it should maybe start out as being AU'ers things? Or will it be like the fanart section, where people who know a good video when they see one can ask the creator if we could have it on the site?

It would be good to actually get these videos onto AU itself. To have sections in the Hobbit section dedicated to trailers, etc. I'm hoping it's easy to add videos to pages, I think I know how to do that.

Good job Nurr. I would have done it myself, but I really have no clue what to do with youtube. :-) I think if we can find one or people two people who would like to head the video section, that would probably be best. Once we have stuff on the channel, we can add to the webpage.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 21st, 2012, 3:40 pm 

^Alright, I'll move the old, old threads to the Archive forum - let me know if you want me to move more of them, or you need any of them back on this board for reference. Some of them had some really good ideas but since the people who suggested them aren't active any longer, chances are that we won't have the resources to do them.. we're too low on work force/volunteers at the moment.

Regarding the videos, we could use the gap in the header when we remove the chat and put a Video link up instead. :teehee:

I'll re-do the Overview thread, I think we should keep the first post maybe but start a new thread since Anameleth isn't active at the moment. I'll try to get around to it tomorrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6