Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: REVIVAL 2012
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 5:58 pm 
Elf
Elf

Awesome, I'll try to do re-format it tonight. :) I'll get better pictures, too, if you want, and reorganize the sections? I'll make a seperate page for the David Falconer interview, too. Should I upload the files to my website, as to just show them to you, where they'll get on A-U's server itself?

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 6:03 pm 

You know, I just thought of something that I can't believe I didn't think of sooner.

There should be a credits page with the names of all the contributors and what they did!

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 6:25 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Crutchie wrote:
Awesome, I'll try to do re-format it tonight. :) I'll get better pictures, too, if you want, and reorganize the sections? I'll make a seperate page for the David Falconer interview, too. Should I upload the files to my website, as to just show them to you, where they'll get on A-U's server itself?

I guess I have some authority in being able to give out the AU server password? I don't know, but as Nurr and Haldy are not around at the moment....but it would be easier for you if you access the files now, and edit those around and then save it to the server. That way you can also look around at other files to make sure yours are in keeping with the general layout of AU.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 6:26 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Hi, I'm krtr. I have a lot of free time. The empty Hobbit section makes me sad. If there's a need for bios to be written, or for articles to be hunted, or anything like that... well, I really mean it when I say I have a lot of free time.

will I ever find someone pursuing me?

Fan Fiction General

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 6:32 pm 

@JF: I actually was not the person who capped the Hobbit trailer, I assume that was Arweb. (Thanks for moving those, btw)

@Taur: I think it was tossed around earlier on about acknowledgements, but there were so many people who did something or another that it really just didn't seem to make sense.

Sorry I haven't been around much, guys. I'm currently freaking out about my senior thesis so that's taking up most of my time. I'll try to organize my thoughts sometime soon to see if there are things I'm missing.

EDIT//
Oh! Also! I messaged Lar on Facebook. (Don't know if anyone else did or not.)

Last edited by Nurrantiel Mashiara on February 3rd, 2012, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 6:39 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Ah.... that is annoying. I really need some help fathoming the whole generator thingy and thumbnails (mine don't look as good as Arwen's) before I add them to AU.

It's OK Nurr, we're all busy. :-) Don't freak out, I'm sure you will do fine. :hug:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 7:43 am 

^Yeah, Arweb did the Hobbit screen captures - according to the latest news on the main site.

@Taur: What Nurr said on the crediting.. :teehee: We kinda decided that this was supposed to be a team effort and that it would difficult to credit everyone who did something anyway, like you may contribute ideas or add to the discussions or do coding or write a bio.

HOBBIT SECTION ON MAIN SITE- discussion
I created a new thread where we can plan out the Hobbit section, please check it out if you're interested (krtr among others??). :)

RPG SECTION - FORUM
Arabella and Amara: You offered to help with RPGs. What are your ideas? Do feel free to start a thread on it if you need to discuss. Otherwise you might want to check out the help and info threads in the RPG sections to see if you may revive them or find inspiration there. If you are active RP'ers you are probably the best to judge what is needed. :-)

CODING - LANGUAGE SECTION
Crutchie/Harthad: Can you coordinate with JF (and Nurr?) on the coding part and the Elvish people on the language section?

@Nurr: Breathe in.. breathe out.. breathe in... senior thesis.. that means you're graduating soon, yay for that! :)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 9:10 am 
Elf
Elf

@Ea: The way you wrote it makes it sound as if I'm two people. :) Haha. I've got two pages done already, the main Elvish section and the David Salo interview, should I post them in the Elvish section topic for everyone to see? JF gave me some tips on what to fix, so I'm okay with that. And I know Nurr's really busy, so I won't bother her about it just yet.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 9:15 am 

Yeah, I'm confused too.. I haven't figured out whether you have permantly changed your name or it's just a temporary thing? :confused2:

But yeah, please post in the Elvish section thread.. I'm trying to sum up in this one and start sub-threads on the topics we need to discuss further on. :)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 12:36 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Just a quick question please regarding the LOTR bios which I'm fixing up. They are bios for the book characters, and are in the book section, therefore does it make sense to have on the bios what colour someone's eye was in the films, or which actor played them? Because it doesn't seem right to me. Also, rather than having images of the characters from the films, I thought it would be nice to have an illustration instead. Does that make sense to others or is it just me? Other than what I have mentioned, the bios are going to be exactly the same, just less messy looking.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 12:47 pm 
Elf
Elf

Yeah, Ea, it's just a temporary thing for now. I was getting a bit bored of just being Harthad. :p

But I have a question. For the pages beside the homepage, could we possibly edit the titles a bit? We could just take off the 'Dedicated to J.R.R Tolkien's Lord of the Rings', and have the title be what the page is actually about? I just think it would be easier for people to look at the top of their browsers and go, "Oh, I'm on the such and such page' instead of going 'wow that's an insanely long title it covers the whole top of my browser'.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 2:26 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

@JF: I agree on all points. The actor's eye color has nothing to do with the character in the book, and an illustration (by Alan Lee/John Howe or even Tolkien himself if they exist) would be great!

@Crutchie: That's not a bad idea. Anything that makes the site look neater, is good :)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 7:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

O hai! I hear there is work to be done on the revival - yay for new things happening. What do you need my help on, if anything? I gathered there are questions on the gallery generator, but anything else...?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 7:24 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

*clings to Arwen's ankles*

For my part, at the moment that's all the help I need. How you make decent looking thumbnails and just how the gallery works. The more of who know how it works, the better really as it will probably get busy as the year goes on. ;)

That was very quick by the way. :teehee:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 5th, 2012, 7:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Ana messaged me on Facebook and told me help was needed, so I figured rather than my usual procrastinatory behavior, I should meander over immediately and avoid annoying everyone :teehee:

I think I used http://www.irfanview.com/ for the thumbnails. Orrrr maybe I made a photoshop action, I have no clue, but IrfanView will work just fine. Use the Batch Conversion/Rename option and fiddle with the advanced option for cropping and resizing. Of course, if you're comfortable with photoshop actions, you can set it to record an action while you crop and resize an image and save it, and then apply that action to all the other images. All depends on what software you can access.

Ummm gallery, well, you need to download one of the gallery source files from the server to see how it works. Since it's a php file, what displays in the source code when you access it in your browser will be very different from what you see in the source code of the original file. So download something like AoI.php (under sc/fotr) and look for the line that begins <i>php generate</i>. This is the snippet of code that is telling the server A) where to look for files, B) how many rows and columns to display per page, C) what types of files to display, D) a couple other options you shouldn't have to worry about, and E) the name of the thumbnail folder.

Don't change anything for the hsphere path. DO change the path that (in this example file) is sc/fotr/AoI. This is where the full-size screencaps for this gallery (The Account of Isildur) are located. "thumbs/" (don't forget the slash!) is where the thumbnails are stored, relative to sc/fotr/AoI (so the full path of the thumbnails is sc/fotr/AoI/thumbs/, just to be clear). You can change 4 and 5 to (respectively) the number of rows and columns you want displayed, and if you want to use other image formats (png, for example), you can add them to "gif jpg". "true" is just telling the server that yes, you're using thumbnails (you could set it to false if you wanted it to display just the full-size images); "1" is the sort order, which in this case is alphabetical order. If you're creating a gallery where you'll be adding new images, you might want to set it to "4" (which is reverse date modified, meaning the newest uploaded files will be placed at the beginning). You can always download gallery_generator.php from the root of the server for reference! The friend who wrote the script for me provided instructions in the beginning.

Let me know if there's anything else :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 7th, 2012, 4:38 am 
Elf
Elf

This is going completely off-topic because this is for the A-U Revival... However, after having a browse through the site (I've found a few broken links etc, I haven't been through all the site yet but I'm compiling a list of all the ones I find) I came across a reference to He's A Pirate.
I haven't been on it for years so I've had a look just now... Are there any plans for updating it or anything once the A-U revival is done?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next