Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: REVIVAL 2012
PostPosted: February 7th, 2012, 11:56 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Arwen the webmaster wrote:
Ana messaged me on Facebook and told me help was needed, so I figured rather than my usual procrastinatory behavior, I should meander over immediately and avoid annoying everyone :teehee:

I think I used http://www.irfanview.com/ for the thumbnails. Orrrr maybe I made a photoshop action, I have no clue, but IrfanView will work just fine. Use the Batch Conversion/Rename option and fiddle with the advanced option for cropping and resizing. Of course, if you're comfortable with photoshop actions, you can set it to record an action while you crop and resize an image and save it, and then apply that action to all the other images. All depends on what software you can access.

Ummm gallery, well, you need to download one of the gallery source files from the server to see how it works. Since it's a php file, what displays in the source code when you access it in your browser will be very different from what you see in the source code of the original file. So download something like AoI.php (under sc/fotr) and look for the line that begins <i>php generate</i>. This is the snippet of code that is telling the server A) where to look for files, B) how many rows and columns to display per page, C) what types of files to display, D) a couple other options you shouldn't have to worry about, and E) the name of the thumbnail folder.

Don't change anything for the hsphere path. DO change the path that (in this example file) is sc/fotr/AoI. This is where the full-size screencaps for this gallery (The Account of Isildur) are located. "thumbs/" (don't forget the slash!) is where the thumbnails are stored, relative to sc/fotr/AoI (so the full path of the thumbnails is sc/fotr/AoI/thumbs/, just to be clear). You can change 4 and 5 to (respectively) the number of rows and columns you want displayed, and if you want to use other image formats (png, for example), you can add them to "gif jpg". "true" is just telling the server that yes, you're using thumbnails (you could set it to false if you wanted it to display just the full-size images); "1" is the sort order, which in this case is alphabetical order. If you're creating a gallery where you'll be adding new images, you might want to set it to "4" (which is reverse date modified, meaning the newest uploaded files will be placed at the beginning). You can always download gallery_generator.php from the root of the server for reference! The friend who wrote the script for me provided instructions in the beginning.

Let me know if there's anything else :)

Thanks for that Arwen. I think I understand how the generator thing works and I'll give it a try over the next couple of days. I'm still unsure about Irfanview, as nothing looks good, but it worst comes to worst, I'll make them manually in PSP and hope for the best. :P It will hopefully be someone else's job to make thumbnails and update the gallery once I get the pages up and running anyway. :teehee:

@ Ana - I looked for illustrations of all the characters and although I would have loved to have used illustrations, it would have looked very odd to have had a mish-mash of film images and illustrations, so I'm going for the black-and-white-sepia look, so when people read about the characters hair colour from the books, the image from the film won't lie. :teehee: If you want to have a looksee at what I mean, some of the bios are now complete with images. :-)

^ It would be nice to have that updated I guess, as maybe just a really good screencap site with screencaps of everything and some good graphics, but I guess that falls way down the list of stuff to do at the moment so as to when that would happen, I'm not sure.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 7th, 2012, 12:56 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

We did talk about updating He's a Pirate as well, but I think we agreed that AU is most important, and when we get this mostly done, we can have a look at He's a Pirate.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 6:08 pm 
Elf
Elf

Is there any chance of trying to revive the Fanfiction area of the forum? It's been really, really dead. . .more dead than the RPG section, really.

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 10:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Oooh, could I host a writing competition? That might liven things up. We had them all the time at this Phantom of the Opera forum I was on a few years ago, which has since died (it only had a handful of members to begin with) But anyway, a writing contest might help wake up the fanfiction and writing section.

Sig set and banner by the amazing Nurr!!

PostPosted: February 25th, 2012, 5:38 am 

I think our main challenge is that we have fewer active writers on the forum.. but do go ahead and set up a contest and other activities to shake up the fan fiction board. Perhaps this is exactly what may lure them out of their hiding. :-)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: February 25th, 2012, 12:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I agree. And what active writers we do have (I am guilty of this!) forget that section actually exists, or are self-conscious about putting their work up on there. I'll work on that too, but for now, I'll go think of a theme and rules and stuff for the contest!

PostPosted: February 26th, 2012, 4:49 am 

Perhaps you should do a brainstorm with a couple of other writers. Like if they're RPG'ers, they might want to write about their characters, or you could ask people to write small themed pieces about words like an emotion, or a place or an object. Something along writing exercises that is quick to do and might even help you on in your writing.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 12:14 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yeah, Crutchie's been helping me because she's awesome. Just one [kind of stupid] question--should the contest go in the Fanfiction section, or the Contests section? XD

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 4:00 pm 

^Well, it's up to you.. technically, contests should go in the Contest section but since you are trying to generate some activity on the contest board it would make sense to have it there. :teehee:
Good luck and let me know if you need my help with anything.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2012, 12:37 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

So I thought I would pop in with a little update for people.

I've been busier than I expected these past few weeks, hence a lack of things happening.

The credits page is up and running, I just need to scan through AU to see what pages that currently contain credits that I may have missed.

I have re-done the Tolkien section, and I'm just working on the gallery which will probably take me until Sunday to fix completely. I am hoping the experience of tackling this will mean I'll understand the gallery better so I can finally get to work on the Hobbit gallery.

There should be some new and regular news updates not too long from now, thanks to Cara volunteering to help me with the news updating.

The fan art section should be getting moving again as well, as Euraina is going to be keeping that updated. I've sent her the information she may need, and if all goes well with her work, there will be regular fan art as well.

I still need the bios from Larael. Should be be concerned now that no-one seems to have heard from her recently? :-(

And I really, really would like to see some Hobbit character bios on AU. Could perhaps the writers club or something get together and work on the bios? We need more thing in the Hobbit section.

Also someone was asking about the scripts, do we have a status on how they are coming along?

Ok, that was more update/what shall we do next I think. :p

EDIT: I have finished the gallery now, it's pretty late here so I haven't checked to see if all the images are working, but I'll be doing that tomorrow. I'm pretty pleased with how the thumbnails look, so that makes me happier about working on the Hobbit thumbnails manually.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 10:24 am 
Istari
Istari

Maybe it's a good time to start member awards once again? I smell fun :-D

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 4:03 pm 

Thanks for the status/update, JF... and GOOD JOB!! It's wonderful that you're working so hard on this. :hug:

Scripts were on Nurr's table as far as I remember and Larael.. I dunno, it seems that she's offline.. I believe she's been contacted through email and Facebook..

Cara, you're welcome to get a group together to organise the Member Awards. :)

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 10:53 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Eä wrote:
Thanks for the status/update, JF... and GOOD JOB!! It's wonderful that you're working so hard on this. :hug:

Scripts were on Nurr's table as far as I remember and Larael.. I dunno, it seems that she's offline.. I believe she's been contacted through email and Facebook..

Thanks. :-)

Well I for one am concerned. I've been checking her FB page and she hasn't been on since January, I think Nurr contacted her via that, and I emailed her in January as well. It doesn't seem like Larael that she would be SO busy in real life, that not even one of her internet communcations would have some activity, and if she was quitting the internet full stop for a period of time, I'm sure she would have told us.

I'm seriously thinking of getting an American from here to call her unversity to make sure she's alright, as this just doesn't seem like her at all. :-(

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 11:10 pm 

Yeah, I tried to contact her back in early February but she never got back to me. I'll try again and see if she can at least speak to us to let us know she's still in good health.

Scripts were where I was working, but being back in school really cuts down on it. I'm happy to let someone else work on them if they want.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 11:31 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Maybe someone could ask Frosty if he has heard from her recently, as I know they seem to communicate a lot between them and he may know something about what she is doing currently.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 18th, 2012, 11:04 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Cast galleries done. Few more categories to go and then they're completed. We're not a fan site, so I'm sticking with 40 images per person and that's it. I'll be re-doing the LOTR galleries when I have the Hobbit gallery sorted.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next