Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Revival Suggestion* Revival Video 1 Complete for test run!*
PostPosted: November 25th, 2011, 4:55 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

So, I was thinking and I had this idea for how we can get more traffic to A-U. Here it its:

YouTube is HUGE. And the Hobbit videos are getting TONS of
views right now just like the LOTR vids got back in the day.
If we make Hobbit (and maybe even some LOTR) related videos it might
be a big help to getting traffic to A-U because tons of people are looking up the Hobbit
now on YT! We would make ourselves part of the very popular vid search!
We could make fan music videos, or picture slideshows and add links to
A-U in the video descriptions and at the end of the videos. Also I think
the release of the Hobbit is likely even sparking old LOTR memories for
many Ringers who will start looking up LOTR vids again.
I think if we did venture to make these kinds of videos that they
should be posted on a YouTube channel made specifically for A-U.
And if we have any A-U members with YT accounts they
could also help attract people to the site as well through their own channels and special Hobbit/LOTR vids.
If a main channel for A=U is made, it might also be good to make a few videos on what A-U is all about
and what is has to offer to LOTR/Hobbit fans.

I know I could at least make some picture slideshow videos. If I can get my
dvd drive working I could make some vids too.

We may not even need a ton of videos to be successful with this idea. But more would probably improve our chances.

So what are you guys thoughts on this?
If anyone would be willing to help out on this in any way, let us know! :bye2: Thanks!

Last edited by Synariel on December 7th, 2011, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Revival Suggestion*
PostPosted: November 25th, 2011, 4:59 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

This is a really good idea, Synariel! :)

Would you want to post about this in the fan-art section too, where people who are good at these things would maybe be more likely to see it?

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 25th, 2011, 5:33 pm 

I love this idea!! And you're absolutely right, it can be really simple but it could also be something really artistic. Silverrose is really good with YouTube vids, perhaps she'd be interested in the project even though she's not on A-U anymore... :)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: November 26th, 2011, 2:00 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Anameleth wrote:
This is a really good idea, Synariel! :)

Would you want to post about this in the fan-art section too, where people who are good at these things would maybe be more likely to see it?

Done! :D

So Ea, do you think we should start an A-U channel, or just have everyone use solely their own channels? The more channels have our videos though the more chance of we have of getting them seen.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2011, 6:37 pm 

I love this idea. :D Way to go on finding new ways to bring people to A-U! I'm just sorry I can't help make videos or something, but I'm completely clueless on how to do that. :P

PostPosted: December 5th, 2011, 3:46 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I'm glad so many people seem to like this idea! To further encourage the idea, I just came across this video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7MLT4Mm ... ature=fvwp

It's nothing fancy at all! Just a picture slideshow of a bunch of really random LOTR pics, posters and movie scenes
with May It Be playing in the background. In about ONE year-just one year-this video has incurred over a million views!!! :blink:
If we have even just one of our videos watched that many times in a year think of how much exposure we could get for the forum!
That would be insane!

I could totally make such a video today. I have the time today. But I wanted to ask-where should it be uploaded?
Do we want to make an official A-U YouTube channel or should I just upload it to one of my channels? If it is decided
to make an A-U YT channel, I could make that today as well, so I could upload the video to it.
And since we are representing A-U, should we use graphics from the main site for the videos, or should we just use whatever...?
Just let me know!!! In the meantime I'll get started on a video! :D

PostPosted: December 5th, 2011, 5:44 pm 

I think it would be nice to have our own channel, so that we could keep it AU centric and such. Do you think we should just set up an email (like arwen-undomiel[@]gmail) to use for it so that it can still be functioning 5 years down the line?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Revival Suggestion* Revival Video 1 Complete for test ru
PostPosted: December 7th, 2011, 11:05 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Ok everyone-the first of the Revival Videos is now complete!! But there's a bit of an issue. I didn't realize this..but the record company owning the song "Into The West" don't like people uploading their content to YouTube. :S So the video's sound was muted. I didn't know using the song would be that serious. I thought it would just fall under the Fair Use Act, but I guess not. So, we havea video with no sound....

The graphics in the vid were done mostly by Shadowcat, and about 3 were done by me. I have the video on "unlisted," so you guys can see it only with this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MITsMwiqgnc

Not sure what to do about the sound. If we have any song writers we may have to make some kind of original composition...I don't know.

Edit
If we want to use LOTR soundtrack songs, we apparently have to go through this process of getting permission:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si4RAH3Q ... creen&NR=1

I checked YouTube's rules and there's no other way around it. :confused:

PostPosted: December 8th, 2011, 12:20 pm 

Perhaps if you do a mixture of songs, putting in a couple of excerpts rather than one full song? That way you're not really giving people a way to listen to it for free without paying.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2011, 2:10 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I looked into that. Their page on copyright rules said we couldn't even use a part of the song unless we had permission. It sounds like permission may not be too hard to get.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2011, 2:13 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I think, if we don't have to pay anything, trying to get a permission isn't a bad idea. That way we can use any song we want.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 14th, 2011, 10:13 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I agree. It would be good to get permission to use the pictures too. I think the more legit we are about it the better it will go for us. I'd like to give A-U a legit image in this. I think people would really appreciate that, and it might help us in being promoted by others.
It seems has A-U has met with some LOTR official in the past (unless the interview with David Salo was quoted from something, but it didn't sound that way...), so maybe we could reach some officials again to get permission.

I just really think we should look into it. I would have a hard time further promoting this idea if we had to break copyright rules to do it. :confused:

PostPosted: March 17th, 2012, 11:44 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I'm not quite sure where this particular video discussion ended up but I have another video idea I wanted to mention and I thought I'd post it here instead of making a new thread.

I was thinking that it would be a good idea if we had a youtube channel (I know this was mentioned ^) but for things like trailers for both the Hobbit and LOTR, and also of course the video blogs. It would be great instead of linking to facebook or other youtube accounts to simply have a link for a page with our videos on. It would look professional and just add something to the site.

Now this channel could also have the fan stuff as well, but I really think it is so important to show AU to be keeping up with all the current stuff that is out there for the Hobbit and this would be a great way to do it.

I know zip about youtube really, or how easy it would be to download a blog and then upload it etc (I guess that's OK to do that?) but there has got to be someone out there who can do this, and at the moment you're talking about what, 6 blogs and a trailer?I shouldn't be a big problem for someone who is OK dealing with youtube I'd imagine.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 5th, 2012, 4:13 am 

No takers for this one?

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: September 28th, 2012, 11:46 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

It wouldn't be a good idea to upload official movie trailers to our YT channel. YT analyzes the content users upload and if you upload videos with someone else's copyrighted material it can put your channel in jeapordy of being closed down. YT has always been like that but these days they seem to be cracking down even harder on these things. Especially when it comes to companies who really push for YT to keep people from uploading their content. Companies involved in LOTR seem to be really strict about this from my experience.

Anything we upload should have mostly original content if we want our channel to stay safe and active.

For example, if we feature a song it would have to be a non-official version where we sing and do the music.

If we feature pictures we had to use fan art.

Etc.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2012, 12:43 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Synariel wrote:
It wouldn't be a good idea to upload official movie trailers to our YT channel. YT analyzes the content users upload and if you upload videos with someone else's copyrighted material it can put your channel in jeapordy of being closed down. YT has always been like that but these days they seem to be cracking down even harder on these things. Especially when it comes to companies who really push for YT to keep people from uploading their content. Companies involved in LOTR seem to be really strict about this from my experience.

Anything we upload should have mostly original content if we want our channel to stay safe and active.

For example, if we feature a song it would have to be a non-official version where we sing and do the music.

If we feature pictures we had to use fan art.

Etc.

This may be true, but there are dozens and dozens of examples of youtube channels that have trailers and tv spots on them and nothing else. I don't think it can be deemed as bad as using music taken from the films for your own purposes, when having a trailer on your channel is just going to generate more awareness.

There are also many fansites that have youtube videos of actors behind the scenes talks and movie trailers.

I'm going to ask around and see if I can find out any information about this. Pretty much every youtube video has violated some copyright law and some point. It would be our hard luck if we got picked on for just spreading the Hobbit word on our non-profit site.

Maybe we could even get in contact with whoever we need to, to ask permission from them to use trailers etc? That probably wouldn't hurt to try.

EDIT: In fact I think we should contact Warner Bros. They have a specific legal section contact address, so maybe they get these kind of questions all the time. If the worst comes to worst, we can always add an official trailer/video to the website and leave the Arwen-Undomiel account Nurr created for general fan things - if one of us ever got to meet an actor or for fan videos etc.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW