Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forum & Site Status ~ 2018
PostPosted: January 10th, 2018, 5:30 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I started a thread such as this a year ago in the vain hope that maybe something would come of a revival for this wonderful site. Alas, nothing changed. We who come here still have been a 'revival' of sorts, but it too has grown long in the tooth. Hoping this place carries on through 2018, and I lift my beer in toast to all of you who from the old school of last decade who still wander by, and to the refugee recruits from other ailing Tolkien boards scattered in retreat on the interwebs.

To 2018! Prost! Skoal! Cheers!

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Forum & Site Status ~ 2918
PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 1:35 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

:bye2: I stumbled upon this site after being inactive for what.. almost 10 years! The amount of nostalgia...

It's been a long time since the movies came out, I guess the inactivity may be mostly because those of us who were kids back then are grownups now - new responsibilities etc. :) And also the amount of social media today, I guess it's made all sorts of forum less popular.

But I do hope new generations of people will find the magic of Tolkien's stories!!!

P.S. Just watched FotR extended edition yesterday and listened to the whole LotR symphony today :yes:

I revisited AU on Jan 14th after an almost 10-year break! The nostalgia..!

Post subject: Re: Forum & Site Status ~ 2918
PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 1:55 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Warning: nitpick-fit! (and you should no longer be surprised by such a thing occurring) :tongue:

Hanasian, maybe we should rename the thread 2018? 2918 puts us awfully close to the last Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke “3001 – The Final Odyssey”. :confused2:

Post subject: Re: Forum & Site Status ~ 2018
PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 3:16 pm 

I took the liberty to change the topic title, so this could be a place where people can brainstorm about a potential revival and how to go about it. ;)

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 3:19 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

I’ll be hearing from Hanasian about this for a while … perhaps. :whistle:

Thanks, Will. :)

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 3:20 pm 
Vala
Vala

Maybe Hanasian was just planning ahead! VERY far ahead. ;)

Well, I mentioned it in the polling section but I'll do it here too, I suppose. I'm going to try and gain back access to the news section of the forum, so that I can try and update that at least. It's not much, but hey, it's something.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 3:41 pm 
Istari
Istari

Bellatrix wrote:
Maybe Hanasian was just planning ahead! VERY far ahead. ;)

Well, I mentioned it in the polling section but I'll do it here too, I suppose. I'm going to try and gain back access to the news section of the forum, so that I can try and update that at least. It's not much, but hey, it's something.

Or maybe his typing is as erratic as mine. ;-)

But when you say news section, do you actually mean in the forum (Board index) proper? It has not been that long ago that I was told that there is a level above the forum. I have two buttons in my Firefox browser favorites bar for A_U, “Arwen-U/forum => /arwen-undomiel.com/forum/index.php” and “Arwen-U.root => /arwen-undomiel.com”. Superficially, to me, news would be found in the latter? I would miss this with my usual login directly to the forum.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 3:49 pm 
Vala
Vala

It would be the news section on the actual site's main page. I'd happily share news here too, of course, except there's no actual section for that unless you count the announcements section and as a non-mod I don't have access to post there. So it'd be up to those behind the scenes in that case to decide where it'd be most fitting to post news.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 3:53 pm 
Elf
Elf

Do we really need a news thread though?

In the Hobbit days there were often topics created in the relevant books/films forums when there was an especially discussion worthy announcement. Not every piece of news really needs a topic/ board of its own imo.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 3:55 pm 
Vala
Vala

I don't think every piece of news would need a new thread either, especially if it's more of a short notice rather than something to actually discuss. I was thinking more of a general ONE thread specifically for news concerning all things LotR related whether it be actors, books, movies, tv-shows, etc.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 4:15 pm 
Istari
Istari

Erm – for which at least one thread each exists in the forum, though spread over several sub-forums. But again, I’m probably showing my being a newcomer of sorts to the Internet. Would this news thread be, as news generally is, be a one-way street, kicking off discussions that then take place in the specific threads? I have some other favorites for (news) sites where there are (often controversial) discussions, posts in attached discussions threads that exceed 200, 300 and even more posts (this can be extremely hard to follow when one simply tries to get the gist of sometimes very long, and often erudite, single posts, and there’s 200 of them or more …). Just a gut feeling: mixing books comments with film comments – nah, don’t wanna go there! :confused2:

Last edited by Gandolorin on January 14th, 2018, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 4:29 pm 
Vala
Vala

Well, the news section on the main site is pretty straightforward. It's just the latest news. Now, it's been ages since I had access, but the last pieces of news where about the Hobbit, a trailer, Orlando wrapping up on his role in the new trilogy, etc. Nothing designed specifically to start conversations or discussions. If someone wants to start discussion regarding whatever there are sections all over the forum for it, anyone can just start a thread about something they'd like to discuss. But I think if the feature was brought from the main site over to the forums, it'd be the same format as there. Not intended for deep discussions, just letting everyone in the LotR community know what's the latest news.

We, all members, are already able to - as I said - start threads of any news we might have heard about the LotR world to discuss it. So, there really wouldn't be a need for someone specific to be "assigned" the duty of creating a new thread in the right sections of the forums for every single new piece of information that might be fun to know.

Just my thoughts, at least.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 4:31 pm 
Elf
Elf

All sounds very sensible Bella :)

Also I don’t think there’s anything wrong with mixed book & film discussions?!?!

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 4:49 pm 
Istari
Istari

@ Bellatrix: Right, got it. The other JRRT site I’m on, my login is at the comparable level of /arwen-undomiel.com, and I get to the forum there (duh; there is a forum link in A-U.com here too … :duh: ) by clicking on the link. The news items there are getting dusty, too.

@ Lembas: of course not, if you enjoy watching grizzled old bookie grumps like me turn into werewolves / wolverines / Tasmanian Devils when discussing PJ (and never mind Hollywood generically …) :annoyed: :lol:

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 4:52 pm 
Vala
Vala

Just discuss it if you want to discuss it, honestly. I don't see the problem here. If you want to create a thread to discuss books vs. movies and you can have strong opinions while not breaking any rules why not go ahead. Heated discussions with strong opinions aren't against any rules as long as everyone is civil.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 5:07 pm 
Istari
Istari

Discussing anything will keep this site (more) alive, I hope. It’s just my opinion that a books vs. movies thread will not be very fruitful. I just consider everything PJ has done to be a fanfic (as was Ralph Bakshi’s 1978 semi-cartoon half-effort). Not that JRRT himself would have been totally against this, with his comment on others taking his Middle-earth, from where he left it, elsewhere.