Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Revival 2013: The Info
PostPosted: May 10th, 2013, 12:20 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Since the A-U revival was first born back in 2011, we have all made a lot of progress in updating and re-vamping the site, from creating new sections to revising the old.

As time has gone on, life has affected the members who were most closely involved with the project, communications have broken down, and failings to keep people updated with what has been happening, has no doubt allowed the revival to become sort of forgotten.

I am starting this thread, to inform everyone of what actually has been happening the past few years, what projects are current, and who is doing what, as well as asking for more people to help in certain areas. We can also discuss what we would like to see happen on A-U.

If your name is not mentioned and you are still currently involved with a section, then please let me know. There are masses of pages to trawl through in order to try and sort out who is meant to be doing what, and I have most likely missed you.

The Hobbit Section

What has been done?

Book Character Biographies - new to AU. Biographies are being written by Bellatrix, Lhun and aralas_29. Status - currently in progress with completion expected in the next few weeks

J.J.R Tolkien - re-coded, spell checked and re-vamped. Status - completed

Book Poems & Songs - new to AU. Status - completed

Cast Biographies - new to AU. (More bios possibly to be added when the next films come out.) Status - completed

Crew Biographies - taken from the LotR section with missing bios added. 2 still to be added (I'll write them when I can!). Status - incomplete

General Gallery - new to AU. Never officially complete as there are always new images. Status - technically complete

Hi-res Gallery - new to AU. ^ Ditto

Screencaptures - new to AU. Status - incomplete. Nurr has screencapped the first two trailers but others are missing.

Media - new to AU. Status - always needs updating

Song Lyrics - new to AU. Status - completed

The Book Section

What has been done?

Character Biographies - revamped and re-coded. Status - completed

J.J.R Tolkien - re-coded, spell checked and re-vamped. Status - completed

Poems & Songs - missing sections added. Re-coded and re-vamped. Status - completed

The Film Section

What has been done?

Cast Biographies - missing. Status - incomplete

Crew Biographies - missing bios added. Re-coded and re-vamped. Status - incomplete (needs 2 more)

Scripts - new to AU. Most of the FotR completed but TTT and RotK. Coding needs to be fixed (edit: doing that right now). Status - incomplete

The Gallery

What has been done?

Gallery - hi-res gallery has been updated as have some of the galleries etc. Minor coding needing and a few more images to be added. (really unimportant fussy stuff). Status - completed

The Media Section

What has been done?

Banners, Avatars, Wallpapers - old graphics have been removed and new stuff is added as when they are offered from the graphics gods. Minor coding needed. Status - completed

Everything else has been untouched.

The Elvish Section

What has been done?

Elvish - most of the section has been updated and re-vamped with technically better Elvish. Minor coding needed. Status - completed (I think?)

The Fan Section

What has been done?

:erm: Along with not having got the cast biographies written, this is another personal failing that bugs me. Eruraina and myself worked on this project, with the idea that we would have a pretty nice collection of fan made items on AU, artists from youtube and deviantart etc would allow us to display their work and A-U would have a pretty solid fan section. Mainly I think, due to me being too busy with other parts of the site, this area got majorly left behind. And I feel really bad about that. Status - incomplete

The Fun Section

What has been done?

Fun - very little. We could never agree whether to get rid of most of the humour or whether we should add more. But apart from a little buit of coding. Status - incomplete/completed

The Site Section

What has been done?

Site - a huge clean-up and tidying of all the pages. Status - completed

The Misc Section

What has been done?

Site - nothing. We could never decide what to add in the way of hints and tips. Status - incomplete/completed

Other Info

Poll Questions - Anameleth

Guestbook - Harthad and Johnny's Fan

Contact Email - Johnny's Fan (and others who I have no idea who they are)

Cutenwes Updates - Johnny's Fan, Taur (?), Larael (?)

Can You Help?

- we need more updates on AU regarding movie news. I rarely have the time to source news, and AU is really lacking in updates at the moment. I think 2 or more people would be perfect.

- although we don't get much mail from people, it is nice to be able to respond promptly, something I haven't been able to do. Someone has been accessing the email address without always responding to the queries. Arweb has now changed the password, so if you were a member of the old contact team and want to be part of it again, then let me know. But another set of hands would be great.

- we could really do with some help regarding the script writing. I know it's a tedious job, but it would be awesome if we could have LotR scripts completed on this site, before we have to worry about the Hobbit. I'm sure Nurr would appreciate the help, and would give you an idea of how she has been working.

- having screencaps for the Hobbit trailers would be awesome.... and also for the film itself. AU is noted for it's LotR screencap section, it would be nice to have a really good Hobbit gallery as well.

- the fan art section. Someone with contacts on deviantart and youtube who can ask for permission to use the artwork, and who maybe knows people in the art community.

=======================================

If anyone thinks they can help with anything at all, however big or small, then that help will be greatly appreciated (unless it's Tania and Richard's bios because they're mine precious....). :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Revival 2013: The Info
PostPosted: May 10th, 2013, 12:21 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Things We Need To Discuss

1. Is it time that we had a new layout on AU? If we did get a new layout, is this the time to get rid of the chatroom from the headler? Who would make the layout? One person, or a group effort like last time? (Note: the actual coding will remain the same, the layout changes will be colour and also the header)

2. The media section (sound clips and videos) is very messy (ignore the coding). Is there a better way to incorporate these things onto AU? Do we need all the media clips that we have? Can we get better quality items instead? Couldn't we have actual youtube clips on AU, rather than links to downloads?

3. The misc section. Excluding the make-over, is the time right to add some more tutorials and tips for people, or is there enough of them?

4. Do we like the humour that we have? Do we want to get rid of it all, keep some, keep all or just add new stuff?

What would YOU like to see on AU?

- comments about characters from actors and crew for both Hobbit and LotR (kinda doing this already, so I hope everyone likes the idea... :P)
- trivia from the films

Last edited by Johnny's Fan on May 10th, 2013, 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 10th, 2013, 12:25 am 
Elf
Elf

If anyone would like for me to make a new layout, I am all for that ^^ I love playing with the code and graphic and I think I am making pretty decent valid layouts. I love doing that to be honest.

Elrond banner by Erin.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2013, 12:28 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Thank you for your enthusiasm. :-) Just to clarify though (and I will add this to my post), the actual coding will not be affected, just the header and the colours that we decide we would like to see.

Usually when AU has changed the forum and the site, members vote for the colour they'd like, and Arweb has gone off and made the layout to match the chosen colour. Last time, we voted as usual for the colour, but a group of people made the actual header. :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 10th, 2013, 12:31 am 
Elf
Elf

Haha, still want to volunteer ;) Everything to help my favorite site ^^

Elrond banner by Erin.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2013, 12:42 am 
Vala
Vala

Okay, first of all.

How I can help.

-Responding to emails, i.e. being a part of the contact team.

-I can help with movie news too, as long as I know what/where/who/why. Or well, you know what I mean. :P

Suggestions.

Fun section
I think it could do with a bit of an update. I remember hanging around it just a few weeks ago and got bored pretty quickly. I'm not entirely sure what new to include/update, but I will definitely think about it and see if I can come up with anything.

The fan section
Would it include drawings, music videos (fan-made) and other things? I think an idea could be to include a fan fiction section. Kind of like poetry, but stories instead. Maybe just oneshots or drabbles at this point, since it might be a hazzle to try and make chaptered ones working. That might attract some people, fan fiction writers are almost always looking for somewhere to post their work. Just a thought.

What we need to discuss

1. I think so. I don't mind the color, it kind of suits the site, but maybe a new banner and some sprucing up in general? I definitely think more than one person should be allowed to put in ideas, but in the end, I think it would be better if one person actually made all the changes and made the final decisions. Just to keep it clear and clean.

2. I'm not entirely sure. Personally, I think sound-clips are something that's not really... what you'd look for, you know? Like, it's cool if they're there but I don't think they really attract people. Having youtube videos could be a cool idea though.

3. Not sure. I think there's always room for tutorials, if there's anything in specific we'd like to teach people. xD

4. More humor. Seriously. Just. Humor. How about some links to a few LotR parodies? I know some people don't find them funny, but a lot of them are awesome. I remember reading a sort of comic version of FotR with foam bunnies as all the characters. That was hilarious. But seriously, humor is one thing you can never have enough of.

What would I like to see?

- I think that's a great idea.

- Trivia, yes. Absolutely. I love reading trivia.

Other business, Bellatrix style

Ok, so the truth is that once I'm done with this course and essay (which I should be, within then next few days) I'm going to be completely free. All day, everyday. I'm on sick leave until I leave the country in October and I genuinely have *no* commitments. I'm happy to help out in any way I possibly can. My inbox is always open if there's anything I can help with, day or night. Big or small. I really love helping out, and it does give me something to do. Once this course is done I'll get started on the bios again, for example. But I could always do more.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2013, 1:03 am 
Ent
Ent

I still have the Cbox (tagboard) information from setting it up last time, which I can adjust accordingly with new layouts.

Like Moist, I am always more than happy to help with graphics and coding, since web design is my forte.
However, I can offer help in any of the other areas.

I'm also very interested in helping Nurr out with the scriptwriting. I'm quite accurate and consistent with grammar, spelling, etc. so no worries on that front. Should I PM her?

*EDIT*
I'd love to do some cast biographies! Could I volunteer to grab Liv's and Viggo's? I've memorized so many things about them already. :blush:

Last edited by Nicole on May 10th, 2013, 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 10th, 2013, 1:12 am 
Elf
Elf

Plus I can respond on mails and add news to the site. Just sayin' ;)

Elrond banner by Erin.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2013, 2:39 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Hi guys! I just wanted to pop by and say that you're all doing a brilliant job. I'm glad you made this thread JF, as I'd completely lost control of what had and hadn't been done around here.

I'm too busy to be doing anything time-consuming for the revival, but I'd be happy to answer e-mails now and then. As I've been around for quite a few years, I'd be able to help out if there are things newer members don't have the answer to. There's such a thing has too many cooks, but if you think you need me JF, let me know.

I may not post much anymore, but I try to stay on top of the revival and I'm can be contacted via pm, if I'm needed for anything :)

In regards to the humor section, I don't particularly think it needs to stay, certainly not as it is now, but I thought it might be a good idea to make a poll about whether people want to keep it? Quite a few people pay attention to the poll on the front page, so we'd be able to get a fairly good idea of whether it's a popular section. And we could do this with other sections we're unsure about as well.

It's definitely time for a new layout, this one is a couple of years old now. I think we should change the colours, in keeping with traditions, and I think the way we went about making the new banner last time was a good idea. Maybe this time we can have something from An Unexpected Journey up there with Arwen? To keep the theme of LotR+Hobbit, I mean :)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 10th, 2013, 2:56 pm 
Ent
Ent

Anameleth wrote:
In regards to the humor section, I don't particularly think it needs to stay, certainly not as it is now, but I thought it might be a good idea to make a poll about whether people want to keep it? Quite a few people pay attention to the poll on the front page, so we'd be able to get a fairly good idea of whether it's a popular section. And we could do this with other sections we're unsure about as well.

It's definitely time for a new layout, this one is a couple of years old now. I think we should change the colours, in keeping with traditions, and I think the way we went about making the new banner last time was a good idea. Maybe this time we can have something from An Unexpected Journey up there with Arwen? To keep the theme of LotR+Hobbit, I mean :)

Yes, using the poll is actually a really good idea!

And as for the layout, I definitely think it's a good idea to stick with tradition and not drastically change the design at all, but perhaps a bit more of a sleek/streamlined touch to keep with the times?

I don't know if our priorities at this point should be completing/polishing the content vs. new layout, but either way, I think there are a good number of people on board the revival at present to make things work, whatever is decided upon.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 10th, 2013, 5:54 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Ok, so regarding the new layout. I'd like to get some more opinions as to whether people would like a new one or not, (it has been 2 years now), and then I'll set up a poll asking people to choose the colours, as usually happens.

In case anyone is wondering how we managed with creating the new-look AU, you can check out this page.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=21131

In the beginning we were all trying to be too nice about making the layout, several people contributed, we all gave our opinions, and frankly, it just got too messy I feel. Too many people with an opinion giving one. In my mind, this time around, we should have a group of people who are graphics designers and coders, they are the only ones who get to see the header as it's in progress, not all of AU, and they decide what looks best. There won't be any posts on AU for everyone to see and debate, I think it should be kept private between this core group of people, so they know what they're doing and it's a surprise for everyone else.

Regarding the actual look of the layout. To me, it's part of what AU has always been about. It's nice to know that while the header and colours may change, AU has remained the same. Now, I'm not saying that a slightly altered and modernised layout wouldn't be good, it really would. I'm just not sure at the moment, with the amount we still have left to do, if that is the right course to take at this moment in time. If we had nothing else that needed fixing, I'd say "go for it and see what we get". (the fact that I have only recently got used to AU's coding has no impact on my "wait till later" opinion... no, no, no, nooooo....)

But this is something I would like to see a little bit later on, as I think with the amount of skilled people on here, AU could look just that little bit more awesome. :-)

=========================

@ Bellatrix - I am thinking that we will only need one more person to help with answering the emails, until such a time that we get busier, so if you would like to be a part of the contact team, that would be great and I can send you the details you'll need later on today. :-)

I would also really appreciate your help in writing the news stories. I can give you some links to websites where you can sometimes find more unusual news items, but I think perhaps if you did some googling yourself (I find searching for New Zealand online papers is a good idea), then you should be able to build up a nice little collection of resources. I'll send you the details you'll be needing later tonight. :-)

@ Nicole - I think if you could give Nurr a quick PM and just ask her what she has been working on etc, that would be a good idea. I think Nurr has been pretty busy at the moment, so I'm sure she would appreciate the help.

You can volunteer to do any of the cast bios that you'd like! (as long as you don't do a cast member who is in the Hobbit because I just need to transfer those to the LotR page, we don't need them writing twice!). I have written all the Hobbit cast bios, and a fair few of the others, so if you need my help in anyway, then let me know. You don't even have to worry about presenting them in the same way, I can always make them match the rest.

@ Moist - if you feel like you would be up for scouring the net to find news items to add to the site, then you are welcome to do that. I can send you the details you will need, like I'll be doing with Bellatrix. :-)

@ Ana - GREAT TO SEE YOU (I know, I need to reply to my tumblr messages :P). You know, now that you mention it, it would be a good idea to perhaps have an *cough* oldie on the email account as well. So I'll send you the details you need.

Humour/Fun

YES, I like the idea of the poll. Of all the sections, this is the one we could really do with some help regarding the fact, do our visitors like this section?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 10th, 2013, 6:07 pm 
Elf
Elf

Great! I am waiting patiently ;) I always liked contributing to the sites I am on.

As for the modernized layout, when you will be ready for a change, I will be there ^^ I have always tons of ideas for a minute so it would be a pleasure.

Elrond banner by Erin.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2013, 7:45 pm 
Ent
Ent

Johnny's Fan wrote:
In the beginning we were all trying to be too nice about making the layout, several people contributed, we all gave our opinions, and frankly, it just got too messy I feel. Too many people with an opinion giving one. In my mind, this time around, we should have a group of people who are graphics designers and coders, they are the only ones who get to see the header as it's in progress, not all of AU, and they decide what looks best. There won't be any posts on AU for everyone to see and debate, I think it should be kept private between this core group of people, so they know what they're doing and it's a surprise for everyone else.

=========================

@ Nicole - I think if you could give Nurr a quick PM and just ask her what she has been working on etc, that would be a good idea. I think Nurr has been pretty busy at the moment, so I'm sure she would appreciate the help.

You can volunteer to do any of the cast bios that you'd like! (as long as you don't do a cast member who is in the Hobbit because I just need to transfer those to the LotR page, we don't need them writing twice!). I have written all the Hobbit cast bios, and a fair few of the others, so if you need my help in anyway, then let me know. You don't even have to worry about presenting them in the same way, I can always make them match the rest.

Yeah, I remember that, it was nigh impossible to reach a consensus. Definitely a good idea to keep the graphics/coding closed off, until it comes time for official approval.

Okay! I'll go PM Nurr right away and see what there is to do.

I'll get started on the cast bios ASAP as well.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 11th, 2013, 3:57 am 
Vala
Vala

Sounds perfect, I'll await the message and be at the ready!
I will also, of course, continue with the biographies of the Hobbit characters. :)

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2013, 8:09 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Sounds good, JF :)

I'll make a new poll then, asking people what their opinions are on the humor section. I'm thinking something like do they want to keep it as is, keep it but update it, or get rid of it? Are there any other options we need?

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 11th, 2013, 12:22 pm 
Ent
Ent

That sounds good! Keep it alive, improve it, eliminate it, what else is there? I'm actually really curious to find out the response. I remember enjoying the humor section a lot but that was when I was quite young and many years ago.

Profile       WWW