Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ~~NEED VOLUNTEERS~~(Graphics designers)
PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 8:24 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I have talked to a few of the mods and they suggest that for a new layout we try and find members or friends of members who would be willing and able to create a new layout for the website and forum!

IF anyone can or knows someone who could PLEASE let us know and we would be greatly in your (their) dept!

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject: Re: ~~NEED VOLUNTEERS~~(Graphics designers)
PostPosted: February 26th, 2015, 3:12 am 
Elf
Elf

I can help out with the Graphics side, or collaborate with another member.

But you'll need someone who knows how to code css/html or whatever format the site is in to actually do the layout, not a graphic designer :) I think the forum is just a skin so the mods can probably create a new one and change the banner and buttons.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2015, 3:17 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Keeping the layout design, but changing the colors and main pic would probably be best anyway. The design has been same for years, and the familiarity may be good to keep.

I could probably make a new main pic.

Also about the graphics section (banners, avatars, etc.) I could make stuff for that as well.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2015, 8:40 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Cool! Thanks guys.

I agree with Synariel. I think the layout can stay the same. I like it and the familiarity of the forum is a comfort in an odd sort of way.

A new color theme would be great. Is that something you could do Lembas?

The new main site photo also, that would be great if you could get that worked up Synariel!

PostPosted: February 26th, 2015, 10:41 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

The last time we made a drastic change to the website, I believe we had multiple people create a graphic and it was voted upon... and changes were made to the final one per a discussion.

The forum skin would be easy to change, all you'd have to do is input new colours.

Changing the colours and header on the main site would require changes made to the CSS files. And you'd have to re-map the link buttons on the header once a new one is put into place. I am familiar with coding, but unfortunately this isn't something I can dedicate time to. It was quite a long process with a team of members the last time we did this, it wasn't a single member who was tasked to code the layout.

This green colour scheme was also voted upon when we decided to change it last.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 26th, 2015, 11:25 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Wow, sounds kind of complicated.

I'm sadly unfamiliar with most of that type of stuff... What do you suggest as a process that would work well?

PostPosted: February 26th, 2015, 11:52 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I would suggest trying to get some of the old web team back but I know it's easier said than done. :P Two people that come to mind are Nurrantiel & Johnny's Fan. I'm not sure who else was on the team, it's been so long.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 12:02 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Well, I can PM them and see if that does anything. No telling if they will get on and check but unless anyone knows how to get ahold of them outside the forum that is the best I know how to do.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 2:49 am 
Elf
Elf

I agree with Aredhel that header and colours should be chosen by committee, there's always been a lot of varying styles and skill levels among the graphics makers on the boards, so it's fairest and best way to get the best banner.

Also if you're making a new layout for the site, it would make sense to have a team of people keeping it alive and improving content, I think that will generate more members than anything else as that's why fans find the forum. Fans need a reason to visit though, and currently you can get better news/images/character bios etc on other LotR sites- it's why ToRN and council of Elrond are still going strong:)

PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 7:03 am 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

That's a good point Lembas. We can change the layout as many times as we want but the info on the main site is quite outdated compared to other LotR sites. I don't think the layout is our problem. A lot of much bigger LotR sites, such as the ones mentioned above, have had the same layouts for over 10 years but traffic on their sites thrive because their content is always being updated... as Lembas suggested.

Here's a tip though - what popular Tolkien item is currently the most searched for on the internet? The Hobbit. I would suggest starting there and maybe updating the website to include anything and everything Hobbit related.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 2:51 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Lembas wrote:
I agree with Aredhel that header and colours should be chosen by committee, there's always been a lot of varying styles and skill levels among the graphics makers on the boards, so it's fairest and best way to get the best banner.

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel wrote:
That's a good point Lembas. We can change the layout as many times as we want but the info on the main site is quite outdated compared to other LotR sites. I don't think the layout is our problem. A lot of much bigger LotR sites, such as the ones mentioned above, have had the same layouts for over 10 years but traffic on their sites thrive because their content is always being updated... as Lembas suggested.

Here's a tip though - what popular Tolkien item is currently the most searched for on the internet? The Hobbit. I would suggest starting there and maybe updating the website to include anything and everything Hobbit related.

I agree this would be the best route for everyone. :) But the lack of activity from our website team is
part of our current problem. :/ If we can't get enough of them back after a while, I think we should just
try to make a new design ourselves like the mods have said.

While a new website design isn't the most important thing, do I think it would help to change the colors and
header pic. Because AU has been out of date for so long now, it's likely that many people who've come across
it in recent searches have built familiarity with it as an out of date site. To see some new colors and a new
header pic would break that familiarity, and make the site seem newer. People will notice the new design before
the text updates below. Especially if people re-find the site who think it's outdated, they may not even realize
they are finding the same site as before, and be more open to it this time.Though, this would only work if we
made sure to put in the new updates WITH the new design.

I agree. >> I was talking about updating the Hobbit section too. It's pretty empty. :/ I could help with the graphics
sections. I can donate banners and avatars and wallpapers, etc.

But as far as written updates go for the site, I'm not entirely sure what kind of updates to make now that the movies
are over. :/ What are you guys thinking about that? :)

PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 4:49 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

I had mentioned to a couple mods or Arwen the webmiss about the news on the main site....

That is one big thing I think! The main page sports news from 2013 and that's an automatic turn off.

Any idea who would be able to add new news to that section? Mods, webmasters... or whatnot?

PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 5:42 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Any member can post updates as long as you have access/permission. Maybe you could talk to the mods about granting you access to the news update section.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 5:43 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

If that is doable I would certainly be willing to do that.

I will PM them about that. Thanks.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 2:07 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I would be willing to help with that too if we can get in. :)

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 4:17 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Good. It would be helpful to have at least two people just so as if life prevents one of us from being able to do it at the scheduled time then the other can pick up for them. *thumbs up*

No reply from the mods yet, but I will let you know as soon as I get one.