Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anyone out there Still Trying for the revival?
PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 2:17 am 
Maia
Maia

That's just so sad. This is what happens when we get older. Though, the nostalgia is so real right now. I just wish that there were a way to get her back on board. Or at least have someone step in for her for a while.

I'm curious as to how much it actually cost to run this place.

Siggy set made by the amazing Lembas!

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 2:25 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Yeah, I know... My nostalgia I think has never really died down much. I messaged her on two occasions as well as talked to a few mods. I didn't want to keep pushing, though, and get someone annoyed with me.

I really don't know on costs. I think they said something about an update for the forum would require a new hosting software or something. I guess the old version is so old any new updates would not be compatible... *shrugs* The technical stuff is all over my head.

Anywhoo... by the way the mods talked it sounded like you would need to hire a professional web designer or someone who knew, to get the website and forum totally up to date.

Other than that, it's just maintaining it. For example the main page has "news" and articles are are years old... new people coming are going to see that and automatically assume it's a dead site and not even bother signing up. the mods, however, could not remember how to get in to that part of the website to edit or update... :/

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 2:28 am 
Maia
Maia

I came back here a couple times in the past few years to see if there was any change and there wasn't. It made me so depressed. I wanted to have people active again so badly.

All of this is killing me. I wonder, if I did some research on it, if I could help in some way. I would need to find time and money.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 2:32 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Well, if you come up with any ideas do let me know. I've put in a lot of effort (with little results) in the past and am willing to do so again if we come up with new ideas to try.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 2:34 am 
Maia
Maia

I'm just hoping that it's not an impossible task. I love this site.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 2:37 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Same here. *nods slowly*

If nothing else we have a nice little community here. I am very glad for it but do wish we could see more.

This place was like a second home to me.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 2:39 am 
Maia
Maia

I agree. Whenever I got home from school, I would come here just to escape reality. It got me through a lot and I'm so grateful for it being here.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 8:30 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I've asked the question a few times, but it is what it is. I don't bother with the main page, but only link to this message board. It works cleanly and efficiently, unlike say... Council of Elrond. Anyway, I try to do my part keeping the message board active. Good to see you here again Amara!

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 8:42 am 
Maia
Maia

Hanasian, thank you so much! I'm sure that a lot of people have asked the same questions as us. I just hope that it gets a little busier on here.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 8:50 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

As long as we keep showing up, it may encourage others to do the same. I try and post at least once somewhere every time I'm on. In the past, I wasn't a big posting guy, having only about 700 in 8+ years since I joined in 2007. I have to say I've been the most active here the last couple years. admittedly many of these posts in in the non tolkien section of music, TV/Movies/ Life... but started posting some of my fanfics and am working on getting an RP under way.

I doubt it will ever get as busy as it was in the wake of the Lord of the Rings movies. The Hobbit franchise didn't generate much new interest in sites/messageboards.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 8:57 am 
Maia
Maia

I'm definitely going to be writing more. I used to write quite a bit on here, but once it died down... I stopped coming on. That will be changing now that I know people still come on here.

Yeah, I was actually kind of shocked that it didn't. But, I believe that it wasn't as big as a scale as Lord of the Rings. It didn't impact as many people.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 3:24 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Yeah, it's too bad, but I am greatfull for those who have stuck around. There are a few others that drop in once in a great while that don't get on regularly as well.

I was really surprised about the Hobbit not generating any traffic as well. There were some that tried to do a revival around that time and it just fell flat. :/

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 9:28 pm 
Maia
Maia

I hope that I can keep coming on here like I am. I miss it a lot.

Yeah, I don't know what happened with that. Maybe, someday, someone will make another Tolkien movie? Perhaps it could be about the Simarillion instead of The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit, since there's nothing more to do for either one of those trilogies.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 9:55 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Well, I hope so as well. :)

And yes, there has been talk of that. Who knows whether it will happen. I do know they are coming out with a new book on Beren and Luthien, which I look forward to. So at least middle earth continues to be a "present day" attraction in the world.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2017, 10:51 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I think I may have said this somewhere here before... I think there were two reasons that The Hobbit movies didn't generate more interest on this site and other sites.

One is the tech. Messageboards are considered 'sooo last century' as my granddaughter (who was born in 2000) said, and it is my opinion that attention spans have been reduced down to 140 characters. It was just too much work to get registered and established on a website messageboard. Also, things seem to get discussed in a real time manner on the various site's facebook pages, making messageboards somewhat obsolete.

Two would be the overall interest level was not there for The Hobbit franchise. Back in the first years of this century, the coming of The Lord Of The Rings to the big screen was exciting. Who would play this or that part? How will the Shire look? Will the Balrog have wings? How true to the books will they be? etc. Couple that excitement to the fact that well-structured mesageboard software had made messageboards much more user friendly led to the explosion of sites and kept most of them busy trying to keep up with server loads, etc. Not so with the Hobbit. Most everyone knew what things would look like and how the characters would be portrayed. There just wasn't the same 'alignment of stars' as there was with the Lord of the Rings. Still, I think this messageboard will continue as it is until such time its hosting ends, the domain name expires and isnt renewed, or is majorly hacked and the powers that be throw in the towel instead of putting out the time, effort, and money to repair/replace it. I have noted some of the sites I used to frequent have simply disappeared when domains expired, or announced they were shutting down, or have been hacked to death.

The few that remain all seem to have a core of steadfast members who remain active with a light smattering of new folk who register but usually drift away after a few posts. May it be with Arwen Undomiel that some old members return and again become active!, and the new folk stay around and participate!

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 5th, 2017, 2:03 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Yeah, this is true... I still don't understand it though. To me a message board is way more conducive to this type of thing rather than realtime facebook that gets left in the dust the moment the conversation dies down and you can't find it for the life of you.... *shrugs*
But trends come and go I guess.

As for the hobbit, definitely not as hype surrounding it as the original trilogy and rightly so in my opinion. Which is too bad... I would have loved to have seen the second be even better than the first, not worse.

Though, what of places like the council of Elrond? Is it not a forum much like this and yet has hundreds of active members? Why is that do you think?

I know one thing... when someone goes to the main website and sees the "latest news" from years ago... they automatically think "Dead site" and probably don't even look any further.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next