Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Forum & Site Status ~ 2018
PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 5:34 pm 
Vala
Vala

Then create a thread and open with that. I mean, you might not change your opinion but I'm sure it could still be interesting to see what other people think and why they think as they do. I don't mind ever getting into discussions where I know either person will change their opinion as long as both parties are still willing to listen and at least try to understand why someone might feel differently. So, if you keep your mind open, maybe you'll spark an interesting conversation which would as you say be yet another great way of keeping the forum alive.

However, I think we're getting off track here, and I apologize for that, my original point was simply; if you want to discuss it, go for it, I'm sure it could be interesting.

Now, on the topic of the thread. I thought maybe tomorrow after I've gotten some well-needed sleep (just about 24,5 hours since I woke up now, I'm pretty tired) I'll look at the original revival threads we had going back in the day and see if there's anything that we had planned but never got around to that could be something to consider for maybe giving it another go. Big or small, anything is better than nothing.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2018, 10:54 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

(Or maybe Hanasian's phat phingers hits the key next to the intended key, especially after a couple beers)

Inwenyárë wrote:
:bye2: I stumbled upon this site after being inactive for what.. almost 10 years! The amount of nostalgia...

It's been a long time since the movies came out, I guess the inactivity may be mostly because those of us who were kids back then are grownups now - new responsibilities etc. :) And also the amount of social media today, I guess it's made all sorts of forum less popular.

But I do hope new generations of people will find the magic of Tolkien's stories!!!

P.S. Just watched FotR extended edition yesterday and listened to the whole LotR symphony today :yes:

Good to see you Inwenyárë! :) Yes, things like university degrees, jobs, kids, mortagaes, etc. does take up a lot of time, and when that work requires use of computers, it leaves it less desirable to be on one working a site in one's off hours.

As for News, maybe a single new entry on the main page about the possible upcoming TV series? Anyway, Looking forward to more RP and discussion in 2018. :)

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 17th, 2018, 12:05 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Inwenyárë, happy to see you stop back by and I will give a general second to all Hanasian said. I do hope you are able to visit regularly! :)

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 7:00 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Lembas wrote:
All sounds very sensible Bella :)

Also I don’t think there’s anything wrong with mixed book & film discussions?!?!

I agree with Gando in the fact that discussing 'anything' keeps a site alive, but I cannot forsake my values and say that J.R.R. Tolkienverse and Peter Jacksonverse can be combined as if they are equals and one and the same. But if that is what it takes, cool. I'll shut up about it. ... or not. Maybe that is why I'm somewhat excited about another go at it with the TV series. Maybe it will wash away the filth with, if anything, different filth.:D

I suppose that is considered by some as me being 'negative' and bringing 'negativity' to the site, but it is what it is. Anyway, I put a good solid couple years into keeping this place going. Hoping it carries on.
:)

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2018, 12:03 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Lol well, who knows. Filth or not, maybe the TV series will help bring more traffic to the forum.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 4:57 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Hanasian wrote:
Lembas wrote:
All sounds very sensible Bella :)

Also I don’t think there’s anything wrong with mixed book & film discussions?!?!

I agree with Gando in the fact that discussing 'anything' keeps a site alive, but I cannot forsake my values and say that J.R.R. Tolkienverse and Peter Jacksonverse can be combined as if they are equals and one and the same. But if that is what it takes, cool. I'll shut up about it. ... or not. Maybe that is why I'm somewhat excited about another go at it with the TV series. Maybe it will wash away the filth with, if anything, different filth.:D

I suppose that is considered by some as me being 'negative' and bringing 'negativity' to the site, but it is what it is. Anyway, I put a good solid couple years into keeping this place going. Hoping it carries on.
:)

I sort of understand what Hanasian is on about, the books and movies are like day and night after all.. But then again, I wonder if there's been mixed discussion in individual threads?

It'd be cool to have this thread where people could share their stories on how they became ringers and who they were at the time they were most active on AU, and then an update on who they are and what they're doing in life now. :D But it'd require people to re-acivate on their own..

I revisited AU on Jan 14th after an almost 10-year break! The nostalgia..!

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 6:35 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Inwenyárë wrote:
I sort of understand what Hanasian is on about, the books and movies are like day and night after all.. But then again, I wonder if there's been mixed discussion in individual threads?

It'd be cool to have this thread where people could share their stories on how they became ringers and who they were at the time they were most active on AU, and then an update on who they are and what they're doing in life now. :D But it'd require people to re-acivate on their own..

Mhyes, there has been occasional mixings in threads. I know I sometimes dumped on PJ and parts of his movies if a topic cropped up in a books thread where I thought PJ had really gotten it dead wrong in his movies ... :blush:

As for how one became a "ringer", and threads with details of current life do exist, if perhaps a bit scattered. “Life Outside LotR » The Green Dragon Inn (Your Life)” has a couple of such threads, and “Life Outside LotR » House of Bombadil (Miscellaneous Randomness)” has some more.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 6:37 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Inwenyárë wrote:

Mae govannen Inwenyárë! It was good seeing your name here this morning!
Good idea, and I'm sure I posted that somewhere in a thread about first coming to know
Tolkien's work and coming to this site and all. The key is people self-re-activating.

April 2018 Update: I have removed all links to this site from any accounts elsewhere that I have put it on to. I will no longer try and convince anyone to become a member if this site.
For you who still care, I wish you well in trying to revitalize this site. I put in my time and did my best the last couple years, and a few people came by, and some of them stayed and participated some. Most just faded to black. It has been made clear that the "demographic" had changed and the oldbies didn't wish to interact with us 'old folk' newbies. My apologies to anybody who came here by my request and have been treated with contempt by emos and what is left of any staff.

For my part, I will continue to participate in the RP area until such time I'm either thrown out, or find another RP community to fill the needs.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW