Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "'Rings' lawsuit puts 'Hobbit' in doubt"
PostPosted: February 11th, 2008, 10:55 pm 
Futon-Revolutionist
Futon-Revolutionist

Quote:
The estate of author J.R.R. Tolkien and Rupert Murdoch's HarperCollins Publishers sued the producer of the Lord Of The Rings movies, New Line Cinema, on Monday in a fight over profits from the blockbuster trilogy.

The trustees of the writer's British charity, and News Corp's HarperCollins cited a failure to pay a contractually agreed 7.5 percent of gross profit for the three films based on the Lord Of Thee Rings novels.

The suit follows Rings director Peter Jackson's lawsuit against New Line for underpayment that was settled in December. When that deal was finalized, Jackson signed on to be executive producer of The Hobbit, also based on a Tolkien novel.

New Line, a division of global media conglomerate Time Warner Inc, declined to comment on the new suit.

The trustees and HarperCollins are seeking in excess of $150 million in compensatory damages, unspecified punitive damages and a court order giving the trust a right to terminate New Line's rights to make more films based on the author's writings, including The Hobbit," according to the statement.

"New Line has not paid the plaintiffs even one penny of its contractual share of gross receipts despite the billions of dollars of gross revenue generated by these wildly successful motion pictures," the trustees's UK lawyer Steven Maier said in a statement. "To make matters worse, to date New Line has even prevented the plaintiffs from auditing the last two films of the series."

The trustees were paid an upfront fee of about $62,500 in an "upfront sequel fee" and nothing more, trustee spokesman Lonnie Soury said.

The three movies: The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring, The Lord Of The Rings: The Twin Towers and The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King took nearly $3 billion at worldwide box offices.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/film/hobbit- ... 57727.html

*Swears*

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12th, 2008, 6:10 pm 
Agent of Chaos
Agent of Chaos

I was just about to post this too.
It's like...gaaaah just when things were starting to look really positive, another problem arises.

Please....New Line. Give them there money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2008, 5:08 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Hey, that actually might be a good thing.

When it was first mentioned about the Hobbit being made, and all the fuss between PJ and New Line, there was a specific date mentioned, that unless the Hobbit began production, the rights to script reverted back to some bloke, who said he would be more than happy to give the script to PJ, so he could direct it himself and not involve New Line at all.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 14th, 2008, 1:43 am 
Futon-Revolutionist
Futon-Revolutionist

Except... I really want del Toro to direct it. That, and the longer this goes on the older the actors get. At this point McKellan is 68 and Holm is 76. I just can't see Holm being able to play Bilbo if this goes on much longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 14th, 2008, 10:00 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Sweeney Todd wrote:
Hey, that actually might be a good thing.

When it was first mentioned about the Hobbit being made, and all the fuss between PJ and New Line, there was a specific date mentioned, that unless the Hobbit began production, the rights to script reverted back to some bloke, who said he would be more than happy to give the script to PJ, so he could direct it himself and not involve New Line at all.

Yeah I get your point, so this actually would be a very positive thing, because I'd be more than happy to see PJ directing the Hobbit.
On the other hand I also see timx4's point. I mean, I'm pretty sure Ian Holm won't be in the Hobbit, but I couldn't imagine Gandalf being played by anyone else than Ian McKellen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 14th, 2008, 1:43 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Hmm.. well I can understand timx4, but I really have no opinion of Del Toro.

The way I see it is this. Even if Steven Spielberg (who I really like) made the same kind of films as Del Toro, and he was meant to be directing The Hobbit, and then there's the chance PJ may still direct.... I'd still be rooting for PJ, because in my mind the Hobbit is his film, he did such a good job with LOTR, if there was even the smallest hope he could make the Hobbit, then that's his right almost.

And as I've said before, even if the Hobbit had been made first, I still doubt that Ian Holm would have been playing Bilbo. He's had cancer in the past few years as well, so whether the Hobbit was made 7 years ago or is made in 4 years, Ian Holm would not have been playing him. The Hobbit requires a younger Bilbo anyway.

Ian McKellen is a fit and active 68 year old then. Older actors than him have trod the boards night after night after night after night in theatres, touring the world, rehearsing etc. I'm sure in many ways, that is just as taxing and tiring as filming a big film in New Zealand. I have no doubt Ian McKellen will be fit and healthy enough to play Gandalf for a long time yet.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2008, 11:21 pm 

I quite agree with your thoughts on Ian Holm and Ian McKellen, respectively. The lawsuit certainly complicates things, but all I can say right now is that I'm glad they're doing something. I mean, we went for a long time without anything happening, at least we've got news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 10:33 am 
Balrog
Balrog

^
oh definitely. There were times when I thought the hobbit would definitely not be made into a movie in the next years, because at first I heard PJ wanted to make the Hobbit as quickly as possible after LotR, but then he kept directing other films and I thought I'd probably never watch the Hobbit while still being relatively young.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2008, 10:36 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I really hope everything gets settled quickly because I'm in the same mindset as Firiel. I want to see Ian McKellan as Gandalf, he is so perfect for the role. I know that he'll be good for movies more than likely until he dies, but all this commotion about the law suits might have him and other actors second guessing.

Set 1: Nurr | Set 2: Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 8:26 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I think McKellen is loyal to PJ, the moment PJ found out he wasn't able to direct he went straight to McKellen and said "You don't have to follow me out the door," so I think, and hope that McKellen understands the situation, and the faith that we're all putting in him and PJ.

The actors had a fantastic time doing LOTR, and even though they said the end was tough they said that if it had been stretched out for another month or two because they didn't have enough time to get it all done, they'd definitely continue on, regardless of weather it was going to get harder and harder. When it finally gets under way its going to be great and a fantastic experience, and I think they can hold out for that a bit longer yet :happy:

~Old lurker from '06 crawling back for another adventure.~

You may call me Cazz. :-D