Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: --------- for Bilbo?
PostPosted: May 25th, 2008, 11:44 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I was mooching roung the IMDB boards today, and there were some interesting suggestions for who Bilbo could be played by.

One of them was James McAvoy and the other was Tom Hollander.

Weirdly enough, I can see Tom H as Bilbo. He is such a fantastic actor, and I've seen him literally play everything under the sun, I could imagine him playing Bilbo like that *snaps fingers*. I know he doesn't look like a young Ian Holm (but I doubt they will find anyone who does) and there's nothing to say the actor who plays "young Bilbo" has to be Elijah Wood's age.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about prospective Bilbo's? :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2008, 11:53 pm 
Lady of Gondolin
Lady of Gondolin

Oooh that is a very good Idea, I was looking through some other peoples posts on this on other boards and I thought one name stuck out... martin freeman... i think he would be an interesting young Bilbo... he was in Hitchhiker's Guide... James McAvoy would be good and Tom H... well he is amazing and if he was cast as Bilbo, he would take that role and run with it!

The waves that C R A S H E D upon
The R O C K S that you were trying to step along
And in my head I heard them play a S O N G

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2008, 3:35 am 
Istari
Istari

the first paragraph of the lord of the rings says that bilbo was unchanged since he had taken posession of the ring, therefore biblbo should be played by ian holm. however, seeing as the idiot has said he won't resume the role, it'll have to be his exact double. i know bilbo's meant to be 60 years younger in the hobbit, but he's not meant to look any younger. it's bad enough that they gave ian holm a face lift and a different wig for the shot in the fellowship prologue when he finds the ring, without them going as far as to cast a much younger actor for the hobbit. and that's another point - how are they going to explain the difference between the bilbo of the hobbit and the bilbo of the prologue? the whole thing is one big screw-up if you ask me.

**MY BOOK**

~ proud to be a shieldmaiden for christ ~
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2008, 8:50 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Hmm.. well there is not much more I can add to that really.... I'm kinda guessing they're aware of that though, and they hope that the fans will be able to overlook that there is obviously a difference. I mean, really Ian Holm should never have been cast if there was even the slightest chance The Hobbit would be made. Even 8 years ago, he still wouldn't have been able to be Biblo. You're looking at early 90's Ian Holm for that.

Well I'm willing to go on a little faith and just see what exactly they decide to do about the age and the differences and things. They've not really let us down yet, so I look forward to seeing what they do. :-)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2008, 2:36 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

i just read this article --> here and they seem to really think the GDT and PJ want James McAvoy. I like McAvoy, he was a good Mr. Tumnus and he'd prolly be a nice hobbit...but Bilbo? i dont know if thats good news or bad news. and i will die if they ever pick Daniel Radcliffe. i dont know how they think thats even a possibility....

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2008, 7:58 pm 
Istari
Istari

I heard that too... I'm not so sure I can see James in that part... :erm:

But, apparently they've agreed on an actor for Bilbo... But they're keeping is pretty close. :lost:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2008, 8:15 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I can't see McAvoy as Bilbo either and if they even considered Radcliffe I would kill someone.

Oook.... o.0 .... that actually is quite frightening..... BUT, they did very well with the LOTR cast, and basically picked either unknowns or not mega stars. I hope they have iterally just plucked someone from the stage or something.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2008, 5:43 pm 
Istari
Istari

I doubt it's an unknown. Here's what the director's (yes, I already forget his name. :eyeroll:) quote: “I can tell you that it’s down to a few names that we all agree upon. And that our first choice…completely, magically, we said the same name. All of us!” So, I mean, if they all thought of the same person "magically", it must be someone well known... Maybe? Unless they've done auditions or something like that (whatever the heck they do)... I'm not sure. :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2008, 9:01 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Hmm, well I think I heard there were a few people in LOTR who were pretty much all thought about my different people, and to be honest I don't think many people would have even consisdered them. :P

I doubt they will want a really big name, as that will sort of overshadow the film. But perhaps someone who is known but not like... McAvoy known-ness? :p

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2008, 12:09 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Quote:
how are they going to explain the difference between the bilbo of the hobbit and the bilbo of the prologue?

Probably the same way they got around the different Anakins in Star Wars- they will re-do that part in some updated version...

I personally like the thought of J McAvoy playing Bilbo. He's not too young, and is a great actor (not to mention cute! :-D ). I think he'd do a great job.

Help My dragons! Click please!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2008, 11:58 pm 
Elf
Elf

hmm....i hadn't even thought about that particular conundrum yet....this is what twilight obsessing does to me...i forget even my other obsessions...:P

it will definitely be interesting to see who they all "magically" thought of...

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2008, 7:06 pm 
Istari
Istari

“In six months time we should know. We will try to give that casting news at Christmas as a gift.”

Great. They're making us wait until Christmas now. :eyeroll: I can't. I really can't. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2008, 1:48 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Oh, man that is cruel. :P We might not all be here at Christmas, we could get hit by a tractor tomorrow. :teehee:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2008, 6:02 pm 
Istari
Istari

LOL! You never know for sure... :lol:

Anyway, we might just die of suspense. :teehee:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2008, 11:52 am 

By Christmas?! I bet it will leak before then :teehee: However, if we don't hear from them then it could just be another rumor :P As for McAvoy as Bilbo, omgz, I love McAvoy....

However, it says on IMDB from err WENN? That McAvoy has denied the rumor about him and the Hobbit role...saying he hasn't been approached yet....

Quote:
the whole thing is one big screw-up if you ask me.

I don't think it will be a screw-up, I have faith in PJ and Del Toro. They both have created really great movies in the past. They both have passion and the ability to create really believable fantasy worlds.....I mean look at Pan's Labyrinth, absolutely amazing.

[Will accept any PM! So PM me! :teehee:]

Last edited by Sidawethiel on June 19th, 2008, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2008, 1:48 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I'm pretty certain it won't be McAvoy, not after that statement.

I don't think it will be a screw-up either. They're not idiots, they know that obviously there is going to have to be some explaining to do, to make it all match with the younger/older Bilbo thing... but honestly.... if the film is absolutely perfect in every way, and young Bilbo is an Oscar-winning performance, does it really, truly matter if he looks different?

I'll bet you someone out there, reads the Hobbit and pictures a different looking Bilbo in LOTR. With the age gap of 60 years, I doubt if everyone thinks of him as looking like a 50 year-old.

Profile       WWW