Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Substituting Actors?
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2009, 4:41 pm 

How do you feel about them replacing actors from the trilogy? John Rhys-Davies and John Noble have both said they wouldn't return, and maybe others will too. Would you rather their parts be written around, or the stories that they have a part in omitted altogether? I'm not thinking so much of The Hobbit as the bridge film. There's a possibility they might including Aragorn's back-story in Minas Tirith, but Denethor plays such an important role. Then again, he would be much younger, so maybe it would work. A new Gimli would bother me more, I think. They would probably use him in a scene where a Nazgul comes to the Lonely Mountain, and it wouldn't be consistent at all.

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8th, 2009, 8:29 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Hmmm, normally as a general rule I'm not a fan of replacing original actors... ever. It's not ideal because it sort of ruins the feel of the movie. But in some cases I don't mind. Like if the characters are much younger than in the original movie (or whatever) like in the case of the new Star Trek movie. Ummm, like Denethor might be do-able since, as you say, he would be younger. Gimli might work as well. Once the beard is on and such it's really sorta hard (besides the voice) to tell who the actor exactly is. :erm: I guess I would prefer his (and others') parts written around if they can be... but I wouldn't want to see characters totally omitted because they couldn't get the original actor back.

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 12th, 2009, 2:11 am 
Balrog
Balrog

^ I would have to agree with Calloniel.
I'm typically not fond of the original actors being replaced but I don't want to see the character written out just because so-and-so wouldn't take up the role again. A new Denethor probably wouldn’t bother me as much since, as it has been mentioned, he would be younger. I will be sad to see a new Gimli but if the new actor looked a little like John Rhys-Davies and sounded a little close I could live with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2010, 5:27 am 

Thanks for the replies. :)
What about Christopher Lee? I forgot about him before, but he also said early on that he would have nothing to do with the films. Saruman is a character very difficult to replace, especially since they are almost certainly going to include the White Council driving Sauron out of Mirkwood.

PJ has now said that only Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett, and Ian McKellen would be returning. Conveniently, all their characters are immortal. ;)

I think it's telling that they're bringing Galadriel back. Maybe she can act as a substitute for Saruman as head of the White Council. Still, that would take all the drama out of Saruman's betrayal during LotR. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2010, 4:53 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I thought Isaw somewhere that Christopher Lee said he didn't feel comfortable going to New Zealand in his old age. Not sure if that's true or not, but that's what I heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2010, 8:24 pm 

There's probably some truth to that. :) It sounds familiar, so I might have read that too. I know he was also really upset with how they killed Saruman in RotK, and that may have something to do with it. Maybe it's a little of both. It's still an awful shame! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2010, 7:25 am 
Balrog
Balrog

It is a shame I agree Taur. :( The concern about traveling sounds very plausable. Saruman will be really difficult to replace, but I suppose it has to happen since Christopher Lee said he won't. I just hope that Mr. Lee will be kind enough to give the new actor for Saruman some pointers about the character. Granted his personality is going to be a little different but it is always good to hear tips from someone who played the character before you.

Andy Serkis is rumoured for The Hobbit as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2010, 9:41 pm 

I would hope so. I wouldn't want it to be like how Michael Gambon completely changed the role of Dumbledore. I appreciate that actors want to make a role their own, and that no one can play Saruman like Christopher Lee, but it seems foolish to completely disregard his precedent.

And like I mentioned before, I think I would prefer Saruman's part be written around, even if it is at the expense of some of the drama. I envision... the White Council taking place at Lothlorien, with a representative of Saruman's present. Are you listening, PJ/Fran/Philippa? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 6:03 am 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

I don't think that Saruman or Gimli are necessarily vital parts of the Hobbit, so I think they could both be written out with minimal fall-out.

However, I absolutely put my foot down on getting replacement actors. That completely ruins for me, absolutely no doubt.

Denethor would be fine, considering he would be SO much younger that John Noble couldn't have done it anyway.

Profile       WWW