Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 20th, 2024, 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5th, 2010, 9:23 pm 

Well, there was the lawsuit and then the world economy went down the drain, so I guess that had a lot to do with it. I don't think MGM was the best studio to finance it, either, since they haven't had a real hit in... decades it seems!

Yeah, I don't know what to think about the actors' union thing, not being an actor or a citizen of New Zealand. My vague and probably erroneous understanding is that New Zealand law doesn't allow the actors to unionize, and if it's against the law it doesn't seem as though there's much anyone can do about it. Certainly, you can't say that PJ or LotR has been bad for New Zealand, so I can't say I sympathize with the actors so much, although I do want them to be treated well, of course.

I'm disappointed in the 3-D decision, too. But, either way it's going to be a great movie! :)

It seems official... PJ's going to be directing! Huzzah! :kick:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6th, 2010, 11:22 pm 
Kallisti
Kallisti

^ SO EXCITED. YOU HAVE NO IDEA. I'VE ALREADY STARTED COUNTING DOWN TO THE PREDICTED DATE.

theonering.net is now my home page (sorry Facebook), and I check it every chance I get [read at work, bus, etc.] The whole shebang with the actors unions was a minor blip, and I don't think that NZ can risk not having PJ film there, the amount of money that it generates is substantial for the economy down there.

Either way, I'm freaking excited, especially for Smaug, I hope he turns out the way he's supposed too.

And I hope they bring back Howard Shore, and fingers crossed for Alan Lee and John Howe as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6th, 2010, 11:48 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I'm pretty darn sure it has been comfirmed that he will be doing the music for the films, and I also believe that Alan and John are working with Weta and Co at this moment in time.

PJ's BACK BABY! YEAH! :kick:

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2010, 1:41 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Yes!!! I must join in the happy dance!! :kick: I'm so excited. It's like the whole crew has been brought back together. Well, except for the actors of course.

I don't know how I feel about 3-D. On the other hand, maybe I can use it as an excuse to see the movies twice. I mean, I would have to experience both to see which I like better! Makes perfect sense to me. :-D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15th, 2010, 11:09 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I have just one word to say...

GREENLIGHT GREENLIGHT GREENLIGHT GREENLIGHT GREENLIGHT GREENLIGHT GREENLIGHT GREENLIGHT GREENLIGHT GREENLIGHT GREENLIGHT GREENLIGHT

:wave:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 16th, 2010, 12:18 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

JF, you are the bringer of wonderful news!

:goofy: :wave: :bounce:

Party amongst all the Ringers!!!! Put on the music, jump up and down, yay!!!!!!!!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 16th, 2010, 2:12 am 
Istari
Istari

I just heard it about 2 hours ago. Only one word can illustrate my happiness.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

The Seemingly Nice But Actually Really Nasty Nazgul
School ate my life. *sigh*

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2010, 7:22 pm 
Kallisti
Kallisti

SO stoked! It's probably the best news I've heard in a LONG TIME.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20th, 2010, 11:06 pm 
Istari
Istari

Not to rain on everyone's parade, but TORn has revealed that the hobbit may not be filmed in New Zealand... any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 2:05 am 

I don't give a bloody damn where it's filmed - I'm just glad it's in the works and PJ is at the helm again! :) *happy dance*

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 10:49 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Well I would be quite sad if it wasn't filmed in New Zealand. It would concern me whether they would be able to use the same costumer, craftsmen etc, who all played their part in making LOTR so wonderful. And what about Weta? Would they uproot the company to Europe? I don't know how the whole process of getting everything PJ approved would work if he was halfway across the globe and all the stuff was in NZ. And Richard Taylor would often go onto set along with others of his staff to make sure everything was OK with the armour and things. But surely he would have to be based in NZ where his company is?

I'm not convinced a non NZ shoot would benefit anyone.

EDIT: Apparenly the actors unions have abandoned the boycotting of the Hobbit so hopefully... :D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 5:19 pm 

You brought up some goods points, JF, that I didn't even consider. Brilliant to hear that the boycott is up though. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 5:48 pm 

First of all: Yay greenlight!!! :jump:

Second of all: Boo delays! :( Maybe it wouldn't be the end of the world if they didn't film in New Zealand, but it certainly would be a crying shame. If the goal is to make them a seamless prequel to LotR then that certainly calls for them to use the same locations and sets. And I feel the unique geography and atmosphere of NZ contributed so much to bringing Middle-earth alive. Although (I almost don't want to admit it... it feels like betrayal! :P) it might be interesting to see a different part of Middle-earth filmed in a different part of the world. Eastern Europe might be able to stand in very well for Mirkwood and the Lonely Mountain... :erm:

It doesn't look like any decisions are going to be made until after Monday. That's when the heads of Warner Brothers are going to fly in to discuss it with PJ. Even though the blacklist has been lifted, the concern now is whether it could happen again. The studios are worried that the actors could go on strike in the middle of production, which would waste even more time and money. Plus the added incentive of other countries offering higher tax-breaks and the like.

Regarding Weta and all that: I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that Weta would still be able to work on the films. They've helped make films that weren't made in NZ before, and since they don't employ any actors or anything the dispute shouldn't effect them. Same with designers and costumers-- although the production would probably employ local craft makers near the filming site to actually make the costumes and sets rather than have them made in NZ and ship them in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2010, 7:45 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I wonder what is going to happen now, with all the delays that ocurred previously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2010, 12:15 pm 
Istari
Istari

OFFICAL CASTING NEWS! I'm squeeing so hard that my noise is silence!

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/10/21/39468-meet-your-hobbit-cast/

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2010, 1:54 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I guess it's a waiting game to see what happens about filiming, but I'm still disappointed that after EVERYTHING the one aspect of The Hobbit I never expected (and I presume no one else did either) was a disupute over whether it would stay in NZ or not.

I mean, who saw that one coming? :blink:

I've got to say none of the cast inspire me. I've never seen Martin Freeman in anything, but I'm quite happy to just go with him and see (alas Tom Hollander... you would have been my choice ;)) because for some reason, I just know he's going to be good, so he's the only one I'm contented with.

I like Richard Armitage. A lot. CANNOT for the life of me see him as a Dwarf. He's just too young and too handsome and beardless. I don't know any of the others really - very strange Dwarf casting I think..

I have faith in PJ, and no doubt they will all be fine, but at the moment I'm wondering how they heck they cast them.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next