Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: -- The Hobbit --
PostPosted: March 6th, 2010, 2:41 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I realise this is in the wrong area of the forum, but I thought for once maybe perhaps we could bend the rules a little bit? :innocent:

It might be a good idea to have a topic about The Hobbit is the main part of the forum, so people can keep on top of what is happening, and hopefully talk about what is going on, what they would like to see etc. Because the next couple of years should be very exciting times for Lord of the Rings fans as our fandom will expand with new Middle-earth goodness! :boing:

Ten Things We Know About The Hobbit

1) Ian McKellen is returning as Gandalf. HURRAY!
2) If anything happens to Ian McKellen that causes him to longer be able to play Gandalf, JF won't go to see the films
3) Andy Serkis will be back drinking Gollum-juice by the bucket load and bouncing around in a skin-tight suit
4) Hugo Weaving will be back as Elrond and we may get to see him smile now and then
5) Cate Blanchett is rumoured to be popping in as Galadriel
6) There is no way that the world will allow little ol' New Zealand to quietly film The Hobbit, like they did with LOTR. Photo's of the sets and actors ahoy methinks!
7) Sometime in the next year would be a good time to visit New Zealand
8) The Wargs are going to make another appearance and are going to look much more better than last time (although I thought they were pretty spiffy anyway)
9) If the films are bad, Del Toro will be blamed for their failure, not P.J
10) We're all going to be old and grey before they ever tell us who Bilbo is

So any thoughts on this subject?

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2010, 4:05 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

They will do just fine. :D

Well I think the mood of the Elves within LOTR worked. They can't really be merry and everything with all that is going on in Middle-earth and the fact they are leaving.

I atually think it will make perfect sense if 50 years before, when all was right with the world, the Elves were chipper and far less gloomy. And I think because in The Hobbit we are going to see a lot of the fact all is right with the world, it won't seem strange that the Elves are happy.

But I agree, it will be interesting to see how they do that. I would think the costume department are really going to be able to reflect the joy of the Elves, and the colours I would imagine will be reallty spring like. Flowing, light clothing maybe because the material for their clothes in LOTR seemed kinda heavy and regal and weighty to me.

Well I think they might try and get as many of the cast back as they can, for more than just a cameo, but also so it makes sense. It would make sense to me if Galadriel either visited Rivendell or they came across her on their journey.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2010, 7:49 pm 

Ahahah!! *rubs hands* I'm a Hobbit stalker. I can't wait for this movie to come out! :bounce: By the way, projected due date for the first movie: December 2012. :swoon:

As to elves, I do think the Rivendell elves should be happier. I think the set will have a lot to do with that. In LotR, it was autumn to winter and things were dying and grey. In the Hobbit, Rivendell is in full summer, and I think that will project a sense of life and happiness that wasn't in LotR.

Johnny's Fan wrote:
Well I think they might try and get as many of the cast back as they can, for more than just a cameo, but also so it makes sense. It would make sense to me if Galadriel either visited Rivendell or they came across her on their journey.

Actually, PJ said that the only returning LotR cast members would be Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett, and Andy Serkis. If you ask me, Galadriel is going to play a major part in the White Council, which they are probably going to include in the second movie. She might even take the place of Saruman as head of the White Council, since Christopher Lee won't be returning. But that's pure speculation on my part. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2010, 9:13 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I hope the elves are cheerier! I loved them in the books.

Im also glad of the returning actors. No one can do Gollum like Andy. I've also heard rumors of the actor who played Hellboy to play Thorin. And for Bilbo? Anywhere from the actor who plays Harry Potter to the guy who plays Dr Who. I'm almost sad that Ian Holm is too old. I've also heard rumors of Aragorn played by Viggo appearing, but all of those are just rumors.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2010, 9:43 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I agree Taur, the set is going to be a lot more sping or summer like as opposed to autumnal. I think the set will sit look the same (because Rivendell 50 years later wasn't like in ruins or anything) but everywhere will look more green and flourishing.

The costumes, set dressing, lighting is really going to capture the feel of the Elves perfectly. :D

I have heard that Orlando Bloom has said if they want him bak he'll go and I think others have said that as well. I know what Peter Jackson would like to use Ian Holm in someway to link The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings together. Maybe having him tell the story as a voice-over, and then at the end of the film showing Bilbo telling his story to young Hobbits or something.

It would be nice if they could bring Ian Holm back in some way.

If Daniel Radcliffe or David Tennant signed up, I would happily commit murder for the sake of our fandom. :yes: I think they are going to choose someone who is relatively unknown and I think they will have that in mind for the other characters as well.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2010, 1:20 am 

Johnny's Fan wrote:
6) There is no way that the world will allow little ol' New Zealand to quietly film The Hobbit, like they did with LOTR. Photo's of the sets and actors ahoy methinks!

HOMG. YES.
I dunno if this is a bad thing or not, but the more spoilery stuff we can get the better. I really want to see through this production from beginning to end.

And honestly, I have faith in Del Toro, because he has great cinematic vision and it'll have a different feel to it than Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit in and of itself has a different feel so this should be good.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2010, 1:25 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Well we all know what happens in the Hobbit, so all we're going to see that might be revealing is the artisticy stuff like costumes, sets etc. Which I am more than happy to see. :P

I'm quite happy for it to be different in look, but I don't want it to be like ZONK... we're not in Middle-earth anymore.

*sigh*

Although if I were to visit New Zealand first and foremost I would pounce on Ian McKellen and then I would cling to Richard Taylors feet and never let go so I would get to follow him and see the wonderful work that Weta do.

*sigh*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2010, 5:28 pm 
Maia
Maia

I’m so excited about The Hobbit movies! :-D I remember how exciting it was waiting for the LOTR movies each year; I would always be on tenterhooks almost straight after leaving the cinema. :lol:

I really want to know who they’ll pick for Bilbo! I’ve heard so many rumours about which actor will play him but as far as I know they’ve never been confirmed. I wish Ian Holm could play him again, seeing as he was so brilliant, but it’s totally understandable that he can’t. (Here’s a weird fun fact; before the LOTR movies Ian actually voiced Frodo for a radio adaptation! :-D )

One last thing; I hope they get Howard Shore to do the soundtrack! It would be epic! <3

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2010, 4:05 am 

Daniel Radcliffe is out. He's said positively multiple times he wouldn't do it, even if he were asked.

I actually like the idea of David Tennant. I think he's really good a balancing silliness and seriousness. As I imagine it, Bilbo should be ridiculous and funny, but also admirable and courageous. David Tennant does this really well as The Doctor, and I think he could do it just as well as Bilbo. The only thing that bothers me is how tall and skinny he is. He's so opposite of the hobbit physique that I'm not sure camera angles and costumes will make up for it.
On the subject, I was bored one day and came up with - this -. Do you think he can pull off a hobbit look?

I wouldn't really mind a total unknown, either, but it's fun to speculate on stars. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2010, 10:27 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

It's his expressions that get to me. The man cannnot stop opening his eyes wide and raising one eyebrow in a quizzical expression.

I see enough of him on UK TV, I couldn't cope with him as Bilbo. And you're right. He physically doesn't resemble a Hobbit.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: -- The Hobbit --
PostPosted: March 8th, 2010, 12:34 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I am sooooooo super excited about the Hobbit!! Bouncing off the wall excited. I don't know if I shall make it to 2012! It shall be murder!

Johnny's Fan wrote:

Okay, new plan. We should have an AU/stalker take over of New Zealand!! :photo: I'll supply the binoculars.

@Taurquende: :roflmao: That is brilliant! Haha! However, I am with JF on not wanting him as Bilbo. He just doesn't strike me for that role.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2010, 11:54 pm 

I honestly have been very much out of the loop on all of this. I heard that Ian McKellan, Hugo Weaving, etc. were coming back, and I certainly hope Ian Holmes will be part of it somehow. I'm very excited for the darkness that del Toro is going to bring to these two films, but I'm also curious to see how PJ will be involved.

By the way, any ideas on where the story could be split for the two films? [I'm going to have such a blast trying to figure this out for both this movie and the last HP movie. :P ] And, who are the writers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9th, 2010, 5:39 am 

2012 is soooo far away! and December! it´s the last at the end! :swoon:
patience is the name of the game!
speculating is fun, but also exasperating! :duh:

what if...? if they...? maybe he will...? David Tennant...huh? :no:
ya, it´s fun..but let´s hope that we aren´t dissappointed :'(

MvL/Nurr
my Aragorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 13th, 2010, 1:38 am 

Oo, if anyone actually does get to NZ and visit the set, they should get special silver-star status as a "Hobbit Stalker"! :yes:

Lor En Estel wrote:
@Taurquende: :roflmao: That is brilliant! Haha! However, I am with JF on not wanting him as Bilbo. He just doesn't strike me for that role.

Thanks. :D I've been meaning to do one for all the main candidates, but that's the only one I've had time to do. :P

Larael wrote:
By the way, any ideas on where the story could be split for the two films? [I'm going to have such a blast trying to figure this out for both this movie and the last HP movie. :P ] And, who are the writers?

This is torturing me, too! I kind of think it might be after the death of Smaug. It gives a sense of completion, but there's still a good bit left, regarding the Arkenstone and the Battle of Five Armies, plus the extra material they're planning.

And the writers are PJ, Fran Walsh, and Philippa Boyens again, plus del Toro, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 13th, 2010, 11:34 am 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I heard that the second one was a bridge between Hobbit and LotR, that or its about the White Council or what Gandalf was doing when not in the Hobbit. But I'd prefer it to be none of them and be the Hobbit story line in 2 movies. Because then you get more content and more room to be aqurate to the book and not have to leave as much stuff out.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 13th, 2010, 6:09 pm 

Zandaïn wrote:
2012 is soooo far away! and December! it´s the last at the end! :swoon:
patience is the name of the game!

It'll be here before we know it!!

Time never seems to stop moving these days!! It's driving me insane! I'm pretty sure I have some grey hairs on me.

The split is also puzzling me, but I've only just found out they're doing it in two films, which seems a rather arbitrary number. I know LOTR was first intended to be two movies, which makes even less sense since there were three books, but... The Hobbit as two movies...

Of course, this could only mean good news for us. The more movies, the more fangirling we'll be doing; but also there's less cutting of stuff we love from the books.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next