Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's Started! - HOBBIT CASTING
PostPosted: November 9th, 2010, 11:42 pm 

Well, we certainly have had our share of speculation on this haven't we? :) But now that there are some actual news bits coming out, let's discuss what we have!

Bilbo Baggins --- Martin Freeman
Gandalf --------- Ian McKellen (most likely)
Gollum ---------- Andy Serkis (most likely)
Thorin ----------- Richard Armitage
Kili -------------- Aidan Turner
Fili -------------- Rob Kazinsky
Dwalin ---------- Graham McTavish
Oin -------------- John Callen
Bombur --------- Steven Hunter
Dori ------------- Mark Hadlow
Gloin ------------ Peter Hambleton
Bofur ----------- James Nesbitt
Ori -------------- Adam Brown

I'm excited for Martin Freeman, as I've enjoyed him in everything I've seen him in so far. I'm still questioning Richard Armitage. I mean, I guess dwarves can be good looking :teehee: but he doesn't seem to fit my mental image.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 10th, 2010, 3:38 am 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Ahaha Richard Armitage... that'll be interesting. :P
Martin Freeman's going to make an amazing Bilbo!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 15th, 2010, 12:25 am 

I know. I was rewatching North and South the other day, and was just like "hmm......" :orly: I want to see how they make this work.

I'm so excited for Martin Freeman! He makes such a great "average man" that I think has a lot of hobbit quality about it. I wonder if he'll try to put any of Ian Holm into his performance?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 15th, 2010, 1:18 am 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

Funny enough, there are rumors that David Tennant has been offered a cameo in it. That might make my life.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2010, 7:54 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I've only heard of four of these actors, haha! I'm fairly optimistic about Martin Freeman, I suppose, though I haven't seen him in much. But Ian Holm is Bilbo to me, as much as Ian McKellan is Gandalf; I just hope I can believe in Freeman's Bilbo.

To be perfectly honest, I kind of wanted to see James McAvoy as Bilbo. :)

So, no Hugo Weaving as Elrond, at this point in time? A different Elrond would be craaaazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2010, 8:24 pm 

I know, right? I'm really surprised that Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Hugo Weaving, etc. aren't signed on yet. Actually, I'm surprised that there would be any doubt for them.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2010, 9:29 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Exactly, Nurr; I assume(d) that they want as much continuity and similarity between the trilogy and the Hobbit as possible: same location, same score, same actors when possible, same script writers, etc. You could say, I suppose, that 'Well, it's been done' and try to inject new life into the Hobbit, which in a sense I'm all for. Middle-Earth could seem younger, more lightweight, with less of that impending doom, 'every silver lining has a dark cloud' overtone. But it needs to feel like it's from the same universe.

In that sense, the score would actually play a giant role in the movie.

A long ways back, I was hearing rumours that Legolas was returning; anything new on that front? And I'm actually really eager to see who plays Thranduil. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 12:27 am 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

The reason those particular actors haven't signed on yet isn't due to the casting directors. However, I think they are tentative to sign on, because it's been on and off for ages now. Ian McKellan said that he'd love to take part in it, but he won't wait around forever for the project to get on its feet.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2010, 12:25 am 

I wonder, if those actors aren't signed on, who they'll find for Gandalf. I'm sort of sad that Ian Holm can't be Bilbo, he was such a great one, but I'm pretty happy at Martin Freeman.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 8:09 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

All good news so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 8:44 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I am a tad concerned about the fact that Cate Blachette, Orlando Bloom, and Elijah Wood will all be making appearances.

Probably because The Hobbit remains my most favorite book of all time - and I happen to have read disproportionate amounts of literature - and I will undoubtedly take it rather personally should it not turn out to Madame's liking :P
Im rather pleased with Freeman and Bilbo, because he is definitely one of the most hobbit-ey looking people there is.

And Tar, is David Tennant has a cameo, I will die. TOO. MUCH. AWESOME. in one place. Legit. He could totally be the Elven King or something.

And all will turn to silver glass...

By Goldstrike

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2011, 5:27 am 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

Elijah Wood is supposed to be in it, but as I understand (and I could be totally wrong), he's only playing a minor role in "reintroducing the audience to Middle Earth". If I could take a guess, he's probably going to be the narrator, and start out the movie with like, "I went on a journey, all those years ago, for the last great fight for Middle Earth. But it started, so many years before, with my uncle, and a golden ring." Cue music, flashback. And ending with that. Of course, I'm probably wrong. :D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 11th, 2011, 9:36 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

SQUEE! So it's confirmed that Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis will be in The Hobbit.

I am so happy. Maybe there was never any doubt, but still. This is good. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 12:52 am 

Sir Ian McKellan wrote:
I’m 71 and fit: though at my age who knows what accident is 'round the next corner? For a year or more, I have been arranging my professional commitments around the possibility of The Hobbit films starting at almost anytime. We brought the Waiting for Godot tour of Australia to New Zealand early 2010, assuming I would stay on to start shooting soon after. Then there was yet another delay: but in Wellington I met with Guillermo del Toro and later read his script for Part One, written with the LOTR writing team. It was true to the style, the fun and the romance of the trilogy.

When Peter Jackson, already producing, resumed the director’s chair, he kept me in touch with developments. A second screenplay was sent over, on the understanding that I would not talk about what I read in it.

After the ruckus over trade union expectations and unlikely rumours of filming outside New Zealand, suddenly crucial casting was announced, plus a start date in February 2011. Martin Freeman as Bilbo sounds perfect. As my agent continued to negotiate with Warner Brothers, I kept wondering was Gandalf what I most wanted to do, more than a new play for instance or indeed a new part? Sequels aren’t necessarily as rewarding to act in as their originals.

Could I let Gandalf go? Would anyone else care if I did? Elsewhere, does anyone care that Michael Gambon was not the first to play Dumbledore?

The deciding negotiation was not about money but about dates. Gandalf is needed on set over the next 18 months but with sizeable breaks when I can work on other projects. My worry that I could not easily escape from Middle Earth was lifted.

I am happy to say I start filming in Wellington on February 21 2011.

I wish I had known he was thinking such things. I would have tracked him down and slapped him upside the head. :duh: Then I would have fallen to his feet weeping and crying, "Noooo! Please come back and be our Gandalf!!! I don't like Michael Gambon as Dumbledore!!" :'( :'( :'(

Lucky he made the right decision without my help. :teehee:

Great, GREAT news about Andy, and now Sir Christopher Lee is back as well! I had always heard he wasn't going to do it. Now all we need is our Elrond... :erm: