Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Elves in The Hobbit vs LotR
PostPosted: December 8th, 2010, 6:18 pm 

The elves in The Hobbit are quite jovial and can be rather silly at times. Very different from the elves in LotR, especially as portrayed in Peter Jackson's movies! How do you think he'll pull this off, or will he simply cut out all their silliness? Other thoughts?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2010, 3:57 pm 

Somehow I fear he'll cut out the silliness. After all, Legolas had quite a few unique moments that to a movie viewer wouldn't fit with what had been built up as the solemn, wise elf. While we didn't see much of elves in the movies (just basically Elrond, Arwen, Galadriel, and Legolas), Legolas is a Mirkwood elf so most likely to be the standard for the movie.

I would hope he'd have singing though. It would be a nice touch.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2010, 6:51 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I agree with Nurr that he'll at least tone it down. However, I really, really hope he keeps some of their light-heartedness in the movie. Things just weren't as dire back then, and you can see that in the elves demeanor. They're more carefree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 11:27 am 

You know, I do hope he'll play up on that, that things weren't as dire. One take he could do would be to show a sort of transition in the elves after Bilbo finds the ring. He's got 2 different movies to show it. Lighthearted when they meet then in Rivendell in the first Hobbit film, to show what elves can be. Then growing more sober and solemn as the White Council drives the darkness from Mirkwood and Gandalf starts to suspect Bilbo has found The Ring.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 11:28 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The elves were somewhat lighthearted in Fellowship of the ring, the book version, but PJ failed to capture that. Fingers crossed that the hobbit will be less dark and the elves will have chance to be fun, unlike their predessors.

Post subject: Re: Elves in The Hobbit vs LotR
PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 9:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I'm actually really curious to see how this will be handled! Well, the tone of The Hobbit in general, not just this :-P How's PJ going to reconcile its being more of a children's book and far from the complexity and darker tone of LotR/Silm with the expectations of the fanbase built with the LotR movies? It's been some time since I re-read The Hobbit, but I seem to remember the elves being more, um, sprite-like. Not to be sacrilegious, but they reminded me more of jovial, mischievous Santa elves than solemn immortals, at least in Rivendell :teehee: The ones in Mirkwood weren't quite so funny, but considering they were keeping the dwarves prisoner and being all-around nasty, they weren't actually portrayed as uber-dark, either.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 21st, 2011, 8:09 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

It's difficult really. But I can see him having some of the dwarfs being the funny light hearted side of the story and the elves being similar to that in lord of the rings. He'd have to make them appear harsh towards the dwarfs (mirkwood elves) since people who have never read the books realize they don't see eye to eye. But hopefully you'll see Rivendell being a bit more jolly.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2011, 2:19 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I remember there's an episode in the Hobbit where some of the elves get so drunk they pass out - I'm curious to see how he will do this considering how unaffected Legolas was in the drinking game against Gimli :P

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 21st, 2011, 7:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Oh how I hated that scene in the EE :teehee: Hopefully if they try to take the Hobbit Elves (hobbit-elves? is this a new half-breed? grah, terrible mental images) in a more jovial direction, it won't be quite so painful to watch :-P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 21st, 2011, 7:34 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I loved Gimli in it, just because John Rhys-Davies is absolutely brilliant, but I thought it was a bit stupid.
They will have to do a bit of thinking about that though. But who knows, they might decide to take it in a completely different direction.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 5th, 2011, 8:16 pm 
Elf
Elf

Well I suppose in the EE they did have Legolas saying "I think it's affecting me" so I suppose they could work on that the Elves need to drink a load.. Or he might have the Elves have a really, really strong wine or something to drink..
Or he might just miss it out...

PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 5:11 pm 

I thought maybe they might arrange it so that Bilbo somehow tricks them into getting drunk, or drugs them or something. It seems like something PJ and Co. would do... make Bilbo a more proactive hero rather than than just being lucky, I mean.

Aerlinn wrote:
Tolkien did specify wood Elves liked wine a lot and that those guards drunk even more than usual...Still bothersome that they made it look like Legolas was all naive about alcohol though.

That's true. :yes: I remember in the Hobbit Tolkien says Thranduil was fond of good wine, so it really doesn't make sense that Legolas would be completely ignorant about alcohol. Maybe it's possible he'd never drunk enough to be drunk before, since elves can apparently stand more and probably don't generally drink in excess.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 8:49 pm 
Istari
Istari

I hope he makes them nice and merry! Elrond made elves in lotr sad and boring... I hope PJ does something better

PostPosted: May 14th, 2011, 1:22 pm 
Istari
Istari

I think the elves in the Hobbit are cheerier for a reason. The mission of Bilbo and the dwarves is not going to affect them, at least not much, so they have nothing to worry about. In LotR, however, the elves are somber and serious because they know the weight of the Ring's power. The Ring and its use - or misuse - and those who wield it could affect them greatly. I think that's why they were much less jovial or friendly, and much more serious and aloof, because in that way they could portray the seriousness of the Ring to Frodo and his companions. It would further impress upon them the magnitude of the Ring and their task. just my opinion.

thanks for the Hobbit Team banner, Lembas!