Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dwarf training begins!
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 1:46 am 

Dwarf training is about to begin for The Hobbit! http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... obbit.html

Post subject: Re: Dwarf training begins!
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 10:21 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I heard that one of the actors is trying to grow out their real-life beard for the show. That's a lot of facial hair if you ask me - but it gives them a chance to try out the Dwarf lifestyle.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 12:29 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

That's awesome! What types of things are involved in dwarf training?

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 1:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'm wondering the same thing - I mean, I would assume that they need to work with character developments (in regards to how they use their body, attitudes, etc.). I wonder how intensive it is, as well.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 2:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Speaking of dwarves, how do y'all (y'all...teeheehee :teehee: ) think the production is going to handle the dwarves in general? As we know, Gimli sadly became sort of delegated to comic relief, but with as many dwarves as there are in The Hobbit...well, they can't make them ALL comic relief :-P And they have to differentiate their personalities somehow! AND they have to show that the ones like Fili and Kili are a lot younger. Dare they make some of them beardless? Or...just have really SHORT beards?

And how are they going to handle having a rather tall and handsome sex symbol like Richard Armitage playing Thorin? :lol:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 2:59 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Aww... Gimli wasn't real comic relief... the fun moments came from the Elf. :P

I think it will be a lot to do with swinging a heavy weapon around your head when you're only 5 feet tall. :P I think they are going to have to mentally believe they are shorter and prepare themselves to have to fight on their knees and stuff. Not that they will be fighting on their knees really but you know what I mean. :teehee:

Also the weight of their costumes as well. John Rhys-Davis is a BIG guy, and he had trouble with the weight of it. Also the prosthetics and the beard.

I really hope they don't make them beardless. They could just make them look physically less Dwarven perhaps by not having so much make-up/prosthetics.

I'm really hoping they will make Richard Armitage completely unrecognizable as I think that's the only way they will make a lot of these characters work, by making us wonder "which one is.... ?".

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 3:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Well, yes, I suppose one could argue that it was Legsie/Gimli as a comic relief pair and not just Gimli by himself, but Gimli WAS the one who got stuck with lines like "Keep breathing, that's the key! Breathe!" "A diversion!" wasn't really meant to be funny...

Anyway, that's a point about the prosthetics. I just really really hope they can make all the dwarves look different enough to keep them straight while still letting them retain a dwarvish look. If they all look like this - http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/images/gr ... arves2.jpg - then no one will be able to tell them apart :(

I have to say I wasn't into LotR when the initial fuss began before FotR opened...so does anyone remember at one point initial promotional stills were released? I know we'll have to wait ages for a teaser never mind full-length trailer, but it would be nice to see some images...

Profile       WWW