Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PJ on Facebook
PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 5:57 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Did you see the latest video posted, where he walks through the sets and stuff? SO COOL :D

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 1:34 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I literally had tears in my eyes toward the end when PJ was talking about production...I blame the swelling music :-P It's finally starting to sink in that this is actually happening! Truly incredible, and very, VERY exciting :-D

Not going to lie...my head nearly exploded from the awesomeness when Richard Armitage started speaking Maori. I was wondering when he'd show up in the video! I should watch it again to see if I can catch more than a couple words...

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 2:09 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

OMG I LOVED the video, I love that this time we're like all involved in the making by having PJ show us the process, I love him for it! it made me squee when he walked through the old and new sets, made me see them with a different light and at the same time go "OH EM GEE IS REALLY HAPPENING!" lol

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 2:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Isn't it awesome? From so many standpoints...from feeling like we're "involved" in the production as you said, to the purely geeky tech aspects like everything being SO super-duper crystal-HD-clear, to all the familiar-but-expanded sets, to...gah...everything! Words fail!

Out of curiosity, are any A-Uers old enough / long-term-enough Ringers to have followed all the buzz when the trilogy first started filming? Because I know I really didn't start following anything about the films until a few months before FotR was released and thought "Hmm, this looks kind of cool...I wonder what it's about...maybe I should read the first book" :teehee: So this feeling of following every minute of production leading up to the release is quite new and exciting for me!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: PJ's newest vlog - start of production
PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 3:15 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

So we already have the "PJ on Facebook" thread going on, but with the EPIC, EPIC new video of EPICNESS, I thought we could have a new thread to discuss it. Watch watch watch! It's long, but you will NOT be disappointed.

(If it gets taken off YouTube, which I expect it might, you can access it at PJ's facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Peter-Jac ... 1884481557 :) )

SO! What do you think? Did you get tears in your eyes toward the end? Did the sets make you squee with glee? Did you think "I bet PJ is loving every minute of this" when he picked up the shriveled arm? Did you wonder what was hiding behind those carefully-blurred-out sections on the walls? Discuss!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 3:16 pm 

The video's like having a bit of the EE to watch while it happens! Love it!

Arwen, I read the books long before the movie. Mom read The Hobbit to be as a kid and I first picked up LOTR when I was 11- so around 1995. Friends and I used to act out LOTR on their land in the country. Their labs were the Nazgul. Hard to evade rambunctious labs! When we first learned the films were being made, we would speculate at each and every get-together how accurate they'd be to the books, how characters would be portrayed, what scenes would be included/cut, etc.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: PJ's newest vlog - start of production
PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 5:26 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Whaaaaaat, it's impossible to stay away from stuff this epic :-P Impossible!

^ I'll see about splitting the other thread and combining it with this one so we can have a more focused discussion :)

Haha...well, apparently Ana is now the author of this thread :teehee: The whole post-time thing made this all a little wonky, buuuuut...oh well.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 5:36 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Hahaha I started a thread without even knowing it :teehee:

I didn't get into LotR until after the first movie was released, when my friend introduced me to it. After having seen FotR though, I read the trilogy, and I couldn't wait to see the other two movies.
It's just great that we can follow the process from the beginning like this :D

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 5:38 pm 

I want to stay away from it... I don't want to see it... It physically hurt me like a knife being twisted in my bleeding heart that something so epic is happening just around the corner in NZ and I find myself here NOT being a part of it [/melodrama]

I mean imagine being a part of production.. to be walking around the set IN RIVENDELL.. IN BAG END!!! *dies*

To be working with PJ... to get up at 4 am to get makeup on... to train fight scenes til you're sore and aching, to say awesome things in Elvish til you break your tongue...

This is so unfair... *pouts*

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 6:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Anameleth wrote:
Hahaha I started a thread without even knowing it :teehee:

Talented Ana is very talented! :teehee:

...time for a field trip to NZ? Let's write a letter to PJ and ask him to fund a group adventure for all of A-U. I'm sure he'd be down with that...good publicity and all :-P

But I agree that it does hurt not to be involved. Part of me just wants to randomly book my ticket back to NZ just so I can at least stalk the filming crew...because...unless they do The Silmarillion, when else will we get this chance? :lost:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 7:16 pm 
Istari
Istari

Arwen the webmaster wrote:
But I agree that it does hurt not to be involved. Part of me just wants to randomly book my ticket back to NZ just so I can at least stalk the filming crew...because...unless they do The Silmarillion, when else will we get this chance? :lost:

I second the motion. When I was watching the video all I wanted to do was take a magnifying glass and wander around Rivendell to look at all the prettiness... and totally "borrow" that withered arm to scare people with. :P

The other thing, though, that I was thinking the entire time was "Oh. My. Word. That is my world. I LIVED this. The actors complaining about the A/C condition reminds me so much of filming. I wanna make a movie this summer..." Seriously, it was like my mind was blown. Normal people! They are normal! They complain and block scenes on the fly just like we do. Makes me happy. :happy:

(also, communications industry geek moment... RED ONE CAMERA. That is all. :yes: )

The Seemingly Nice But Actually Really Nasty Nazgul
School ate my life. *sigh*

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 7:33 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

EPIC EPIC EPIC. I didn't even see LotR in theatres and it's suddenly sinking in I'll be able to see the Hobbit on the big screen. :swoon:

Richard Armitage speaking Maori? Awesome. :)

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 7:55 pm 

This video was 10 minutes of pure heaven. :swoon: Loved, loved, LOVED every minute of it, and nearly lost my mind trying to see EVERYTHING that EVERYONE was doing! And what a tease! Did you notice how the cameraman carefully framed that one shot to prevent us from seeing most of that dwarf in costume?! And how he looked over PJ shoulder to see the drawing of a set before quickly cutting away so you couldn't see too much?!! GAH! Drove me crazy! But I suspect there will be a lot of that from now on... and I'm going to love every moment of it! :P

My favorite part was the not-rehearsal of the Unexpected Party. :D No one was in make-up but everyone was in character and it was so exciting!! Did you see Martin Freeman awkwardly carrying one of the dwarf's battle axes? I thought, "SQUEE! That's so brilliantly Bilboish!!!"

Last edited by Taurquende on April 14th, 2011, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 8:14 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Arwen the webmaster wrote:
Isn't it awesome? From so many standpoints...from feeling like we're "involved" in the production as you said, to the purely geeky tech aspects like everything being SO super-duper crystal-HD-clear, to all the familiar-but-expanded sets, to...gah...everything! Words fail!

Out of curiosity, are any A-Uers old enough / long-term-enough Ringers to have followed all the buzz when the trilogy first started filming? Because I know I really didn't start following anything about the films until a few months before FotR was released and thought "Hmm, this looks kind of cool...I wonder what it's about...maybe I should read the first book" :teehee: So this feeling of following every minute of production leading up to the release is quite new and exciting for me!

I didn't get into it till ROTK, before that I just saw the movies lol then I really got into the Middle Earth world, visited/joined forums, got the soundtracks, read ALL of Tolkien's works.
and I also loved the tech aspects of it, the fact it'll be in HD that you can see the pores of the elves in battle :P and I LOVED the visits to the old sets! I loved seeing them in such detail, so pretty!

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 8:30 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Elves are too perfect to have pores! They have naturally airbrushed skin!

Am I the only one who winced at the thought of how much it must cost to rebuild these sets that had already been completely built and then (needlessly now) destroyed? :erm:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 11:47 pm 

^ It might seem a bit of a waste, but after all, those sets weren't build to last 10 years, and their upkeep would have cost money, too, not to mention the space they take up. PJ and the rest seem well financed and their budget must seem huge compared to what they had to work with on LotR! (I'm not positive about the numbers, but I'm pretty sure it's a whole lot more. :P) In fact, when he was walking through and talking about how the Goblin Cave set was a labyrinth, I was thinking of a moment on one of the commentaries when Elijah and Sean A. said they would see the exact same styrofoam rocks over and over on all the sets!

By the way, does anyone know how often he is going to do these blogs? Is it just going to be whenever he feels like it, or is he going to do them fairly regularly?