Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Show Smaug or keep him hidden?
PostPosted: June 30th, 2011, 11:18 pm 
Istari
Istari

Alright, with some images from The Hobbit starting to be released, that got me thinkin about Smaug and whether or not I want to see anything with him yet or not. I think I would rather not see him before I'm actually in the theater watching the movie. I dont want to see any sneak pictures, or even see anything from him in the trailers, I would love it if PJ just made that something that was exciting and people are just waiting to see, ya know? Anticipation. Anyway, just wondering what ya'lls thoughts on this are, do you want to see Smaug before hand, or wait and be surprised in the theater? Or do you think PJ would release any images of Smaug or keep him a surprise until the movie is released?

Post subject: Re: Show Smaug or keep him hidden?
PostPosted: July 1st, 2011, 12:46 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Hmm, I hadn't actually thought about this before. Now that you mention it, I think I might be happier if the first time I saw PJ's vision of Smaug was in theaters, mostly because I can't think of any movie dragons that I've really liked and I'll have less time to gripe about Smaug if I don't see him until The Hobbit is released :-P Alas, I'm thoroughly unsuccessful at tearing myself away from spoiler images and trailers, so if they include Smaug in any (which I'm sure they will, at least for the trailers - he's an exciting part of the story, and if they're trying to appeal to the epic-fantasy-with-battles-and-impressive-CGI crowd, I'm sure they'll throw some dragon shots in to entice potential audience members), I'm bound to see it.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 1st, 2011, 3:18 am 
Istari
Istari

I would wait but if they release trailers or images with my fave dragon of all, I will probably sneak into it :lol: I am sure!
I am not going to cinemas so I will see Hobbit when it will be on DVD so...maybe better to seeSmaug before? It would be very long waiting.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2011, 7:59 am 

I definitely think Smaug should be hidden. At least until right before the theatrical release. In today's awesome world of special effects you could create some pretty amazing trailers and posters using shadows/sounds without actually showing the mighty dragon.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 1st, 2011, 8:25 pm 
Istari
Istari

True points, everyone. They may include Smaug in the trailers because he is such a big, excitin part of the story, but I wish that if they do have him in the trailer, they dont show him completely, maybe have some dragon sounds, his shadow on the ground swooping over the town, show the flames engulfing the houses, you'll know its a dragon without actually havin to see it. I want to go into the theater and be completely blown away when I first see Smaug, and with PJ doing the movie, id say the chances of me being blown away are pretty high up there.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 3:38 pm 

My feelings exactly, Lithoniel! He's going to be one of the most, if not the most, exciting characters to unveil. By far. If they did reveal him in full I'd think it'd remove some of the tension of the trailers.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 1:35 am 
Istari
Istari

I agree Ivreniel, I think it would take some of the tension out of the trailers. I want to feel that on edge, totally focused on nothing but the movie screen feeling when Bilbo creeps down that tunnel for the first time, thats part of what makes movies like this fun! Although there is a small part of me that wants to see a picture of him early, but its a small part.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 1:41 am 
Istari
Istari

The same thoughts. As I said, I will probably see Smaug on DVD. So...it would be really nice if they don't put the drache in trailers so I could not have to taming myself from seeing them. It would be very nice if I could see Smaug first in the movie. The trill of discovery!

But as I said if trailers will feature Smaug, I will probably watch them.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 1:56 am 
Istari
Istari

I know, I'll probably still watch the trailers even if Smaug is in them, I have to see everything else thats going to be in the movie after all!

PostPosted: July 8th, 2011, 12:57 pm 

I've decided that I really want to see Smaug before the films. :D I figure that if I don't like him, then I'll at least have time to get used to him or even start to like him, rather than being disappointed in the theater and walking out thinking, "It was good, but they ruined Smaug!!" But this is partly just an attempt to justify my rabid appetite for spoilers. :P Normally I hate peaking ahead and spoiling, but I just can't wait for The Hobbit!

I could be completely wrong, but I have a feeling PJ and company are going to keep Smaug very much under wraps. They probably want everyone to be really stunned and afraid when Bilbo sees him for the first time!

PostPosted: July 9th, 2011, 12:49 am 
Istari
Istari

True, if you see Smaug and dont like him you may spend the rest of the movie thinkin about what they should have done differently, and how they should have made him look, but if you get a sneak peek you can get used to the way he looks. That is a good point..... Still wanna be surprised though, lol! I would be kind of surprised if PJ did show Smaug in trailers and things like that. (And I like your banner Morgana!)