Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rating guesses?
PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 10:00 am 

Fond memories of sitting around the table with some friends before FotR was released, speculating if it'd be R, PG-13, or PG. Included of course was "why" we thought it'd be different ratings (taking into account the nudity and violence in the books). Of course some of the very scenes we were speculating about were not even included in the movie!

So what do you think The Hobbit will be rated, and why do you think it will receive that rating? Do you think so much battle etc will be added it will earn another PG-13, or will he keep it more kid-friendly (though adult-friendly too)?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Rating guesses?
PostPosted: July 5th, 2011, 6:34 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I would bet quite a lot on a PG-13 rating. There's no way they would risk excluding a huge section of their target audience by including enough violence to earn it an R-rating! To me, the source material is relatively PG, although I could be primarily recalling Tolkien's narrative tone being so geared to a younger audience. However, I expect that PJ and co. are already making so many efforts to keep The Hobbit in line with the tone of LotR and re-capture the movie-only fans from the trilogy that they'll throw in a goblin beheading or two if the original cut of the film only gets a PG rating. If they're expanding the Battle of Five Armies already, though, I'd think that that alone would get them an immediate PG-13 - PJ's style isn't really of the bloodless-battle Narnia variety :-P I can't think what else would jack up the rating besides violence - dwarf swearing? Drunk elves? Evangeline Lily's "Tauriel" in see-through outfits a la Arwen-TTT-dream-dress? :teehee:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 6th, 2011, 1:06 am 
Istari
Istari

I'm going to guess PG-13, provided there's no cussing dwarfs and naked drunk elves running around! I think PG-13s a pretty good bet. simply for the battle scenes, and maybe if whoever makes the ratings would think Smaug would be too frightening for small children, that may affect it as well.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2011, 1:08 am 
Istari
Istari

I also lean to PG-13. Hobbit is still not a story for only adults and not for small children, therefore movie should be the same. There ARE battles, so PG-13 should be good rate.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2011, 2:02 pm 
Istari
Istari

I'm guessing it would be PG-13. R seems a bit much for a film such as the Hobbit, but you never know.

thanks for the Hobbit Team banner, Lembas!