Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Martin Freeman as Bilbo?
PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 3:38 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I was talking to my friend, a fellow fan of LotR, and we started talking about the Hobbit finally becoming a movie. She wasn't very happy about the casting for Bilbo, but I think Freeman was a great casting. He has this sort of awkward way that he can act which I think is going to be ideal for Bilbo. I just wanted to know what others think about this casting :D

Post subject: Re: Martin Freeman as Bilbo?
PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 4:10 am 
Istari
Istari

They couldn't choose better actor for that role. Martin IS Bilbo already :lol:

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 4:42 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

That's just what I thought. I guess my friend was a bit upset that they didn't use the original actor. He's a bit old, anyway :P

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 4:54 am 
Istari
Istari

Haha, yes, it would be rather strange is young Bilbo looked older than old :lol: To be honest, I never liked the LotR actor. But we will see who has right! Maybe Martin will be terrible Bilbo and my facial expression will go hoooo ^^

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 8:00 pm 

The one thing that bothers me about Martin Freeman -- and trust me, it has absolutely nothing to do with him or his acting -- is that I'm perpetually terrified that I'm going to say Morgan Freeman instead should the topic ever arise in conversation. The few times it has, I'm second-guessing and wondering if I've said the right one. It's nerve-wracking, let me tell you. :P

Anyway, Martin Freeman is brilliant in Sherlock, so I can't wait to see him in The Hobbit. :)

PostPosted: August 13th, 2011, 12:01 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I've been lurking around the threads on here since the news first broke that The Hobbit would indeed be made into a movie (or rather, movies), but have never posted anything until now. I only know of Martin Freeman from the film version of A Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (I know, bad me :}. Anyone feel free to give me a :fish: over that :lol:.), so I can't really say how suited I think he is for the role. It'll definitely be interesting, though 8). I do have one concern, however. I'm curious how Peter Jackson, or whoever is in charge of writing the screenplay, is going to explain away this line Gandalf said to Bilbo in FOTR: "You don't look a day older" (or something like that). Ian Holm was/is probably in his fifties or sixties, and Martin Freeman is most likely in his thirties or late twenties, so how is that huge age gap going to be addressed? I don't know how many years passed between the events of The Hobbit and The Fellowship Of The Ring, though, so that might be where the explanation lies :blush:. I'm guessing it's either that, or it will be attributed to the influence of the Ring, as Smeagol/Gollum's dramatic transformation from a Hobbit into a skinny little, reptilian/amphibious thing was. I guess we'll see :happy:. I'm definitely looking forward to the first film, though :yes:!

PostPosted: August 14th, 2011, 6:56 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Shadowcat wrote:
The one thing that bothers me about Martin Freeman -- and trust me, it has absolutely nothing to do with him or his acting -- is that I'm perpetually terrified that I'm going to say Morgan Freeman instead should the topic ever arise in conversation. The few times it has, I'm second-guessing and wondering if I've said the right one. It's nerve-wracking, let me tell you. :P

Anyway, Martin Freeman is brilliant in Sherlock, so I can't wait to see him in The Hobbit. :)

I know, I'm having the same problem!

For me, part of the reason I was excited that Martin Freeman had been cast was that I had seen him, rather than someone I'd never seen before. I was more than a little worried about who they were going to cast, and once it was announced I instantly relaxed, since I had seen him before in Sherlock.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 14th, 2011, 9:58 pm 

I thought he was is the perfect choice for Bilbo. I don't know, when they announced it, it just made such perfect sense to me.

I'm over the moon about it and can't wait to see him in action. :happy: The pictures they've posted of him in Bag End just makes me even more sure that he'll be good.

I love Martin Freeman, so maybe I'm just a wee bit biased. :duh: But in all honesty, I thought his casting in that role was spot on.

Sig: Teh Nurr

I've met Eru & Eä & Ellie & teh Arweb & Naur & Elenya & POTR!

POLKA WILL NEVER DIE!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 5:51 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I think Martin is a great choice. Just looking at the stills of the set of Bag End further reinforce my opinion.

I would of thought it would have been possible for Ian Holm to do it Yes he is too old but he could of easily been made to look younger and I think a large portion of the LOTR fanbase would have preferred this.

Certainly no complaints about Martin though. He's great in HGttG, The Office, Sherlock, Hot Fuzz... basically everything he does.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2011, 7:34 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

As much as i know i'm going to be judged for saying this....Elija...big blue (you know what i mean, and if you don't...WATCH THE EASTER EGGS!!) well i think we can all agree he is heart stoppingly beutiful...martin...just isn't. He's a great actor i'm sure, but elija is sooooo gorgeouse that martin just dosen't seem to fit. I was looking foreward to some equally gorgeouse chap playing bilbo, it seems harsh to rob us of eye candy.

Ok, go ahead. Judge.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2011, 10:05 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

I think he'll bring the kind of game he brought in Hitchhikers, as Arther Dent. The practical, down to earth englishman who appears to have been taken from his home and put in an odd setting; with appropriate bewilderment and style :P

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

PostPosted: September 7th, 2011, 2:16 pm 
Istari
Istari

Anduril Vanlhach wrote:
As much as i know i'm going to be judged for saying this....Elija...big blue (you know what i mean, and if you don't...WATCH THE EASTER EGGS!!) well i think we can all agree he is heart stoppingly beutiful...martin...just isn't. He's a great actor i'm sure, but elija is sooooo gorgeouse that martin just dosen't seem to fit. I was looking foreward to some equally gorgeouse chap playing bilbo, it seems harsh to rob us of eye candy.

Ok, go ahead. Judge.

yup yup, you can't surpass Lijah's gorgeousness, imo!! but just because Martin Freeman isn't as adorable doesn't mean he won't be the perfect Bilbo. Bilbo rather strikes me as a completely different Hobbit than Frodo. their mannerisms, speech, actions, etc. aren't similar to Frodo at all. in other words, I think it's a good thing that he's so different, because otherwise Bilbo and Frodo would start becoming too similar and lose their personalities. and he's not bad-looking. he's just cute in a different sense of the word - decidedly Hobbitish. ;)
I think he'll be a perfect fit. when I saw those pics of him from "The Hobbit", it was like, yes. perfect. :)

thanks for the Hobbit Team banner, Lembas!

PostPosted: September 9th, 2011, 8:00 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Yeah I heard rumour ages ago that it might be him (probo just people saying who they think it should be) but I thought it would be a great choice and was over the moon when they picked him. He's great in the other stuff and makes me want to watch ali G in da house (he was funny in that). Everything else with him in I've seen a hundred times. Nice one Martin for taking the role (Y)

PostPosted: September 9th, 2011, 8:58 am 
Elf
Elf

Anduril Vanlhach wrote:

Ok, go ahead. Judge.

I see where your coming from and it's always nice to have eye candy leading the show but I think that's why we've got Fili & Kili, and Lee Pace and Orlando. But saying that, Martin's not unattractive I think he looks more 'cute' and comes across as very ordinary and unsuspecting, which In my opinion is good for Bilbo.

Elijah's beauty almost had a purpose in that it made him seem all the more fragile and heightened the pain and anguish of being the ringbearer. I think as well that in Tolkein's writings Frodo has an air of special-ness about him, in that he's been personally selected by Bilbo to be his heir and he's more inclined than Bilbo (in the first chapters of the Hobbit at least) towards adventure and Elijah's looks help to hit it home that he's a special or important hobbit rather than any hobbit. Bilbo is more reluctan, worries about what other hobbits will think of him doing outlandish things and comes across more as an ordinary hobbit plus Bilbo on his journey isn't as inhibited as Frodo as Bilbo concerned himself with things like losing the buttons from his waistcoat, and being cold hungry- plus the ring didn't have the same torturous effect on him so I hope that Martin's 'plain-ness' help to hit that home. :)

PostPosted: September 9th, 2011, 9:54 am 
Istari
Istari

lovely points you made, Lembas. I couldn't agree more. :)

thanks for the Hobbit Team banner, Lembas!

PostPosted: September 10th, 2011, 10:35 am 

I get the impression that Martin could be the perfect stereotypical English Gentleman type, and that's exactly what hobbits (and particularly Bilbo, as even Tolkien said) are supposed to be like. :) They're not supposed to be beautiful, just plain and happy, that's their charm. The elves are the pretty ones in Middle Earth. :p