Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Second movie for The Hobbit?
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2011, 7:24 am 
Maia
Maia

Is it true that PJ is making two different movies for The Hobbit book? If so, I would be so stoked! :D

Siggy set made by the amazing Lembas!

Post subject: Re: Second movie for The Hobbit?
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2011, 7:39 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yep! In the tradition of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, The Hobbit is being split into 2 parts. They will be released a year apart. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the first part, to be released December 2012, and The Hobbit: There and Back Again is the other film. I think the second one will delve a bit deeper into what happened in between the events of The Hobbit and LotR, because really, let's face it, The Hobbit isn't really long enough to do two complete films without some extra stuff. ;)

I'm so excited!

Sig set and banner by the amazing Nurr!!

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2011, 8:07 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD this sounds soooooooooooooo good i can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2011, 4:31 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I heard that they will be creating story about the white council and driving out the Necromancer, but I don't know how accurate that is. They have also introduced 1 or 2 characters that have no basis whatsoever in Tolkien lore, which makes me worried and slightly annoys me that they are taking so much liberty with the story.

"What? In riddles? No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to." -Gandalf

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2011, 10:06 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Erkenhelm - the fact that PJ and his crew are taking liberties with new characters upsets me too, but I'm waiting until I've laid eyes on the movie to make my decision about the whole thing. Who knows, maybe they were needed to help the film and story itself to flow together more cohesively.

Although, I've gotta say, I loved PJ's version of the trilogy and they are the most comforting movies to me. I can watch them over and over again and never get tired of them. I hope that, in the future, I will be able to say that of "The Hobbit" !

In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! We are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory. -J.R.R. Tolkien

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2011, 12:45 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Ya, I'm also reserving judgement until I see the movie, I'm just a little nervous about it.

"What? In riddles? No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to." -Gandalf

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2011, 1:20 pm 
Elf
Elf

They are definitely doing the White council storyline as Pj's got Cate and Hugo back, along with Ian- and Chris Lee is involved too. Benedict Cumberbatch is also voicing the Necromancer (and Smaug) which all adds up to suggest that that's the route they're going.

I was really sceptical about some of the new characters, until I found an interview with Evangeline Lilly- who's playing Tauriel a Mirkwood elf, she's is a self confessed Tolkein-Purist (she even said she was scared about seeing Pj's LotR because she thought he might deviate too much), and admitted she wouldn't have taken the role if she didn't fit with the source material, so I think PJ can pull it off! Plus, there's no female characters in the Hobbit ( Ok I suppose Lobeilia might count, and Galadriel with the W/C stuff), which is a little sexist, so I'm not opposed to an awesome female character. And PJ has said it's not a romantic role, so it isn't going to mess up the cannon either!

PostPosted: October 1st, 2011, 5:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

[quote="ladyireth"]Erkenhelm - the fact that PJ and his crew are taking liberties with new characters upsets me too, but I'm waiting until I've laid eyes on the movie to make my decision about the whole thing. Who knows, maybe they were needed to help the film and story itself to flow together more cohesively.
quote]

SFX did an interview with Evangeline Lilly, whos supposed to play an elf and she said they decided to add new characters because the book is a childern's book and linear and there were not any female characters so maybe thats why they are adding new characters...

I just hope Aragorn makes a cameo since he was 10 at the time and theres some romance. :)

PostPosted: October 4th, 2011, 8:39 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Wouldn't that be awesome? :) I would love to see a younger Aragorn! (I am also looking forward to seeing Evangeline as an elf. Can't really imagine her in Middle Earth, but I'm sure they'll make it work :) )

I also have heard that Elijah Wood is going to take a small part in 'The Hobbit' somewhere along the line. Has anyone else heard about this?

In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! We are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory. -J.R.R. Tolkien

PostPosted: October 4th, 2011, 10:40 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

ladyireth wrote:
I also have heard that Elijah Wood is going to take a small part in 'The Hobbit' somewhere along the line. Has anyone else heard about this?

I've heard that the Hobbit will be done as if Frodo was reading Bilbo's book to young hobbits, but I don't know how accurate that is. I don't like that if its true, but I shall wait to pass judgement.

I believe he has been confirmed as making some kind of appearance, whatever it is.

Just looked it up on the official site:
http://the-hobbitmovie.com/the-cast/

Elijah as Frodo is on the cast list.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2011, 1:56 am 
Elf
Elf

My impression of Frodo's appearence in the films was that Ian Holm as Bilbo would 'book end' the story and was recounting it or reading it to Frodo. As PJ said that the would tie everything into LotR. But he'ws definitely in it!

PostPosted: October 5th, 2011, 3:04 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Yeah I was imagining something similair, that Frode was either reading Bilbo's story or that Bilbo is telling him the story. Maybe they will open and close with such a scene..

PostPosted: October 6th, 2011, 5:16 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Erkenhelm wrote:

Elijah as Frodo is on the cast list.

Oh wow! I think that might be cute, the story telling thing. :)

I can't believe Orlando Bloom is going to be in this one as well too! Awesome :D

PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 10:37 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

i heard Orlando Bloom will be back as Legolas when Bilbo travel's to Mirkwood if i remember it correctly...hopefully they give him more than just a few lines, i really miss his character :P

PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 5:09 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Must admit that I have also had my share of doubt about whether or not they could stretch a short, very linear story like "The Hobbit" into two movies and still be true to the original story. Smelled a bit too much of greed and money....

But then again when I think of it, "The Hobbit" is very much contradicting to the LotR in terms of the way its told. LotR contains SO much information and description and detail in the way its told, whereas The Hobbit very often just skips large parts of the story with a single line. Like when Bilbo and the Dwarwes are in Rivendell, where they actually spend quite a lot of time.

So what I mean is that in the Lord of the Rings, the script writers knew exactly what happened in the story, down to the smallest detail, and their biggest concerns was to try and boil it all down and still manage to keep all that was essential to the story (which the did perfectly in my opinion).
In the Hobbit there are so many things left untold or only mentioned with few lines, that are entirely left to the imagination of the reader, which, in a total different way than LotR, makes it a very very difficult movie to make! because large sequences of the story are simply missing!!! I mean, that can work in a childrensbook, but not in an adult fantasyfilm that has to lead up to The lord of the Rings movies. So the crew just has to take some liberties and try to fill in those empty passages with what they think would be appropriate to the story and to the Tolkien universe.
And I gotta say that when it has to be done that way, I am very happy that it is Phillipa, Fran and PJ who are back on writing the script :D I have all the confidence in the world that they can pull it off without adding things that are not relevant!

So well, i'll be waiting for these movies and try not to be critical before I have seen how they turn out :) CAN'T WAIT!!!