Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LotR to Hobbit Continuity
PostPosted: September 30th, 2011, 1:55 pm 
Elf
Elf

One of the biggest worries I have about the Hobbit Films is continuity with the LotR trilogy. One of the biggest reasons I hate the HP films is because they seem physically change where things are and what they look like from film to film (though they got better in the last few).

So I was wondering are there any moments/ designs from LotR that you really desperately want to see carried into The Hobbit Films when they come out?

Ok so, so far PJ has done a pretty good job to stop some of my worries, Gloin looks sufficiently enough like Gimli and it is believable that Orcrist was forged by the same people who made Sting and Glamdring ( I mean figuratively, knowing Weta they probably were actually made by the same sword-smith!). But There are still a few left for me...

'The Eagles are Coming'- I will be so soooo annoyed if this line isn't delivered in a similar way to Pippin in RotK, to me that line was in LotR (book and film) to mirror the same line in The Hobbit- plus it is the silver lining! Also it's one of the most important parts of the Battle of the Five Armies, It just can't be given to anyone but Bilbo! I'm kinda interested to see if the Moth, which for some reason seems to be the Eagles 'Symbol' in the films will appear too. Though it doesn't matter to me if it's left out. As I hate moths

Bilbo's Elf Armour- Undoubtedly Sting will be the same, but I wonder if the Armour will be too. I think Elijah only ever wore a shiny front attached to a stretchy t-shirt, and the 'prop' armour always looked too small for anyone to wear. I'm worried that the film makers might think it doesn't look right especially as Bilbo wears it over his clothes with a matching helmet. Plus I always felt that compared to the other elves armour the Mithril shirt didn't look elven enough, so they might change that around :/

So what little nods to Lotr will make you an incredibly happy Hobbit viewer?

Post subject: Re: LotR to Hobbit Continuity
PostPosted: September 30th, 2011, 2:43 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Like you I was thrilled when I saw that Gloin looked like Gimli, and his look in general. A lot of the other dwarves, in my opinion, don't look like dwarves, but their faces are elvish/manish looking.

One thing I want to see is the correct color of cloaks and order of arrivals of the dwarves at Bilbo's front door. I don't want to see any out of order :grr: lol

"What? In riddles? No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to." -Gandalf

PostPosted: October 1st, 2011, 1:25 am 

First of all, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates the HP films because of the lack of continuity. :teehee: (I mean, the Nimbus in the first movie was all shiny and had little handles, and by the fourth movie the Firebolt looked just like a plain ol' broom! And where the heck did that bridge come from?!) [/end off-topic rant]

Luckily, I think PJ is working really hard to make it as near as possible to LotR, so there won't be random design changes. The only thing that I'm concerned about is if it'll have the same feel. What I mean is, one of my favorite things about the movies is how unpolished and low-tech they can be. I've always felt that that gives Middle-earth a sense of reality; that it was a real, gritty, and touchable quality as if you could actually travel there, and not just a fantasy-land. I'm afraid with the huge budget and all the new technology and CGI that's out there, they'll loose that and just turn Middle-earth into... Pandora from Avatar or something that might be visually stunning, but not believable.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2011, 1:15 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Location: Running around a Family Dollar asking if they sell tasers... >:D

Oh! Taurquende!!!! You are so right!!! I'm so scared about all of the new technology!!! Smaug might look like an electric robot or something from a books pages that moves - if that makes sense. I want it to look real - like the Fell Beasts did in LotR!!!

The dwarves - yes. Fili and Kili look like miniature elves!!! But I trust Jackson - I don't think he'll mess it up.

Mark Twain

Banners: A-U.com

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2011, 6:07 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Hey, guys! Sorry for the double post, but I was reading this article from http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules. ... pageid=149 and I thought this might help to allay our fears of too much anamatronic stuff going on! Here's a snippet of the article:

wetahost: 11 - Guillermo del Toro is an accomplished director. I just wondered whether ok not, he will bring more prostetics, animatronics and
physical effects to the film, as he does with such films as Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth (which are great films by the way)? Or will Weta Digital still have their work cut out for them with VFX?

Peter_Jackson: Here comes Q11.

Guillermo_del_Toro: I plan to mix CGI and PHYSICAL in such a way that your eye wonders which is which- keep you mind busy but NEVER allowing for the weaknesses of either tool to take over. Yes, I have, by trial and error, learned that both tools need to be mixed and how much they must
be mixed to succeed in creating environments and living creatures. WETA is the lead house, absolutely but we will expand the creature team and beef up the prosthetics team. Imagine a physical creature with a radio controlled muscle / facial system but with partial CGI replacement on the head or mouth, etc and you’ll start to get the idea….

Mark Twain

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2011, 6:26 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

When Del Toro was still directing it, I was worried some of the original vision would be lost. Now that he quit/left the project and good ol' PJ's back in the director's chair, I'm not as worried. I do hope the 'feel' of Middle-earth remains the same. Even though we'll be seeing some locations for the first time (I cannot WAIT to see Mirkwood!), I hope they keep the same atmosphere that Middle-earth had in the trilogy. I know that the Rivendell and Bag End sets are being used again (they saved them! yay!), so I'm not worried about those bits in the slightest. :)

I personally hope the spiders are as awesome as I've always imagined them. I thought they did a brilliant job on Shelob and hope they don't resort to making it too reliant on computers for the Mirkwood spiders. I'm also super excited to see Smaug, since motion capture animation has improved so much.

Mostly, though, I hope Gollum stays exactly the same even though technology has advanced so much. They nailed it the first time!

Sig set and banner by the amazing Nurr!!

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2011, 6:48 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Yes! I really need to go back and re-read the Hobbit! I'm reading the Silmarillion now, and try to fit a chapter in my schedule when I can!

Spiders. *shivers* I hate them. But I hope they are just as great as Shelob!

Oh! I know! I didn't know that PJ wasn't directing it and I was going around telling people that the Hobbit was being filmed, then, someone came up to me and said, "oh! Well, PJ originally wasn't going to direct the Hobbit, someone else was. He directed a movie called Hell Boys. But now, PJ is back in and directing the Hobbit!" When I heard the title "Hell Boys" I was glad he wasn't directing the Hobbit, just judging by the title. I honestly don't know anything about the movie. :happy:

Good luck, PJ!!!!

Mark Twain

Profile       WWW