Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Three movies!
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2012, 3:29 pm 
Istari
Istari

I'm cautiously excited at the moment... but I'll wait until the movies actually come out to pass judgement. I think PJ's decision to make The Hobbit a trilogy is mostly motivated by the usual Hollywood money-making schemes. I've also decided that I'll probably have to look at the trilogy as a loose (or expanded) representation of The Hobbit rather than a strict replication of the book. But, as some of you have said, I'm not going to complain about more Middle-Earth! :whistle:

married Mr. Darcy 6/14/2012

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2012, 5:27 pm 

I just re-read my last post and I realize how cranky I sounded. Ugh, sorry about that, guys. :blush:

Anyway, I found an article that might help some people visualize what's going to be in the movies. It lists a lot of interesting things, and I think that most fans couldn't argue with them. :)

Here: http://io9.com/5931001/everything-peter ... with-proof

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2012, 5:56 pm 
Istari
Istari

^ Thanks for the article, Shadow! It makes me about 5X more excited for the whole trilogy... Seeing Galadriel tear down walls and getting more of Legolas' backstory ought to be good. I'm also glad that it looks like they'll be fleshing out the dwarves' characters more than Tolkien does in the book.

(I'm loving their reference to Elrond as "Agent Smith with a crown" - that's exactly how I think of him in LOTR. :lol:)

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2012, 7:19 pm 
Vala
Vala

Thanks for the link Skitty! I think I'm too lazy to have bothered to find something like that myself unless I accidentally stumbled upon it. :P After reading the article, my excitement has grown a considerable amount. (Truthfully, I'm thinking that I need to go back and read some of these footnotes, as I can't remember the details. xD) Like Ea said, it's three more movies of Middle Earth so what else could we ask for? :teehee:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2012, 10:39 pm 

Ariadne394 wrote:
^ Thanks for the article, Shadow! It makes me about 5X more excited for the whole trilogy... Seeing Galadriel tear down walls and getting more of Legolas' backstory ought to be good. I'm also glad that it looks like they'll be fleshing out the dwarves' characters more than Tolkien does in the book.

I would literally watch an entire movie of Galadriel breaking down walls and castles, I can't even lie. :P

Yeah, I was happy to find the link, because it puts together a list of all the things that are mentioned across numerous sources (not just the Appendices and the Silmarillion, from the looks of it), but never really put together in any of Tolkien's writings. Most of it seems to be notes and brief mentions here and there.

Tolkien has such a bizarre writing style sometimes. :teehee: I mean, Bilbo is unconscious during the Battle of Five Armies, but that would be the worst film strategy ever--to have your main character get knocked out, the screen goes dark, and then this battle that you've set up is supposedly over. Oh, and a few other main characters are dead. :lol:

... I'm getting a bit rambly now. I could keep going about how parts of the book wouldn't translate to the screen, but that's probably a topic for another thread. :D

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2012, 11:04 pm 
Istari
Istari

Ramble on! :p That might be a good topic for The Hobbit book club... hmmmm...

PostPosted: August 5th, 2012, 4:35 am 

Great article, I love how they give you a relatively reliable overview based on things that have been said and confirmed. Not that the actual movies are gonna be anything completely like that but just to help us picture it. I'm SOSOSOSOSO excited right now. :D

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: August 5th, 2012, 11:48 pm 
Vala
Vala

Everytime I see the trailer at the cinema I get goosebumps. Especially while listening to the dwarves singing that song, I practically turn into jelly. :teehee:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 7th, 2012, 11:29 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

^^ me too! The first time I saw it in theatres (and every time I see it, really) i started squealing. :eyeroll:

Because PJ is making it into three movies, I'm expecting him to stay very accurate and true to the book. If you're gonna make three whole movies out of one book, he better not cut too much. Over all, I'm pretty psyched that we get a new release each year. But on the down side, we have to wait THREE YEARS to see the end of the movie! :explode: :'-( *sobs*

PostPosted: August 7th, 2012, 1:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Quote:
Because PJ is making it into three movies, I'm expecting him to stay very accurate and true to the book. If you're gonna make three whole movies out of one book, he better not cut too much. Over all, I'm pretty psyched that we get a new release each year. But on the down side, we have to wait THREE YEARS to see the end of the movie! :explode: :'-( *sobs*

I seriously doubt he is going to go stay true to the book. :teehee:
I'm still excited about it though. Just not as much as I was.... of course when it gets closer to December, I will probably get really crazy all over again. :teehee:
...I'm going to be 18 when the 3rd film comes out! ah!! :blink:
So long to wait!! I bet the long wait will make a lot of people read the Hobbit so they don't have to wait so long to see what happens. Well... if there are even people who haven't read it! :teehee:

PostPosted: August 7th, 2012, 2:39 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

It is sure that PJ won't stay accurate to the book ^^ It will be looong journey ^^

sig set by skitty banner by nurr

PostPosted: August 9th, 2012, 10:11 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Ariadne394 wrote:

(I'm loving their reference to Elrond as "Agent Smith with a crown" - that's exactly how I think of him in LOTR. :lol:)

I can't help, every time I watch FOTR, when he says "welcome to Rivendell, Frodo Baggins" I giggle and go "welcome to Rivendell, Mr Anderson" is too tempting!

PostPosted: August 9th, 2012, 2:54 pm 

Daenerys wrote:
It is sure that PJ won't stay accurate to the book ^^ It will be looong journey ^^

Yeah, I really don't think it'll be accurate to the book, but it'll still be accurate to Tolkien's world. Hopefully that makes sense. :lol:

PostPosted: August 10th, 2012, 9:53 am 
Istari
Istari

Maneth Eruvadhril wrote:
Ariadne394 wrote:

I can't help, every time I watch FOTR, when he says "welcome to Rivendell, Frodo Baggins" I giggle and go "welcome to Rivendell, Mr Anderson" is too tempting!

Same here - also, Elrond's speech about "Men? Men are weak" and such reminds me so so much of the Agent's rant about humans being a disease in the Matrix. But we're probably getting a bit off-topic here... :blush:

Quote:
Everytime I see the trailer at the cinema I get goosebumps. Especially while listening to the dwarves singing that song, I practically turn into jelly.

Yes!! I'm looking forward to the soundtracks almost as much as the actual movies; from what PJ has said, it looks like they'll be using more of the songs from the book, as we see in the trailer. :)

PostPosted: August 10th, 2012, 10:49 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

^^ Yes, I have full intentions of memorizing each of Tolkien's songs by this December. :)

PostPosted: August 10th, 2012, 11:03 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Shadowcat wrote:
Daenerys wrote:

Yeah, I really don't think it'll be accurate to the book, but it'll still be accurate to Tolkien's world. Hopefully that makes sense. :lol:

It DOEs make sense and I am sure he won't do a bad movie ;) I loved LotR, ya know, and I am sure The Hobbit will be awesome...just, afraid of these changes a bit. I have seen LotR movies before reading the books and I didn't have anything to compare, now I have :teehee:

sig set by skitty banner by nurr