Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: An Unexpected Journey - first impressions
PostPosted: December 9th, 2012, 6:56 pm 

I SAW IT!!! I SAW THE HOBBIT - AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY!! :D
I went to the gala premiere Sunday night and I SAW IT!! And now I REALLY need someone to talk to about it!
I know we'll soon get a lot of more detailed threads and new topics for the Hobbit movie but I thought this thread could be for all our "OMG, I SAW IT AND I LOVED IT" comments.
And of course, you must expect spoilers in this thread! Lot's of them!

So what are your first impressions? What scenes did you like and did anything disappoint you?

-----------------------------------------------

I loved Riddles in the Dark... They struck the perfect balance between the light and the dark. The seriousness of the scene mixed with the lighter tone from the book.

Thorin was great! And beautiful! :P

OMG the soundtrack, so much more.. bigger, better, totally epic than the pre-listen on Rolling Stone!!

Rivendell!!! So good to be back and yay for a less serious Elrond.. less eyebrow!!

The languages... they put so much more into the different languages so there should be plenty for fans to use and learn and study for years to come! Lovely!

Expectations not quite met...

They didn't explain why Bilbo decided to go on the adventure all of a sudden out of the blue

The troll scene.. rather silly.. but I didn't like it much in the book either. If you liked it in the book, you mght find it entertaining in the movie too

The way the council patrionised Gandalf...

Radagast.. I don't know but it reminded me of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

3D and HRF.. it was smooth and clean but I didn't see it added anything particular to the movie.

OMG, obviously there are so many things I want to talk about and comment on but it's midnight and I need sleep now. I can't wait to hear your first impressions so bring them!! And I'm gonna see it again for the midnight showing on Tuesday.. SO EXCITED!!!!

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject: Re: An Unexpected Journey - first impressions
PostPosted: December 12th, 2012, 7:24 am 

YES I SAW IT AS WELL!! :-D I went to the midnight screening last night and the late hours were more than worth it! I'm glad you openend this thread, because I woke up this morning almost bursting with the urge to talk about it :lol:

My favorite parts were Bilbo and the Dwarves at Bag End, and Riddles in the Dark. Both scenes were exactly as I had imagined them, and they made me laugh and shiver at the right moments.

I also loved Thorin, and how they provided him with some background before the actual story even started. It really gave his character more depth than the grumpy, stubborn Dwarf we know from the books, it explained why he became the person he was at the beginning of the Hobbit. Also, Richard Armitage did a wonderful job as Thorin, the perfect mix of authority, emotion and general awesomeness :)

Soundtrack: SO GOOD! Loved how they included some bits of the LOTR soundtrack, but also managed to provide this movie with a whole new theme. Misty Mountains song in full gave me goosebumps, and hearing the theme back several times during the movie... perfect. And the inclusion of the songs was fun.

And the Dwarves, they were good. Very good. And so very cool! I never would have thought I would even feel the slightest attraction for a Dwarf, but I might have to come back on that opinion :lol:

General: more languages, location, the White Council.. Ugh, wonderful.

What I didn't like:
Radagast, same as you Ëa! He seemed more at place in Narnia than in Middle Earth.

Some parts seemed a bit too digitalized.. What I liked about LOTR were the 'real' scenes, and it seemed that the majority of scenes in this movie were made on PC rather than being filmed on an actual location.

I was confused about the difference between Azog and the Goblin King. I thought they were one and the same person, but apparently they are two persons?

And I didn't like Thorin attacking that Azog fellow after he climbed from the tree. It made the scene a bit too long and overly dramatic. Although the accompanying music was cool :)

In general, this movie really met and actually succeeded my expectations, that were already set quite high!

PostPosted: December 13th, 2012, 5:02 pm 

So I saw it again for the midnight showing on Tuesday. I already had tickets before I was invited for the gala premiere.

We had better seats in the middle so the 3D was a lot better although I'm really not fond of the HFR. There are so many epic scenes where they put so much detail into every character and every action in the scenes and the eye can't follow because everything is so fast. It feels like you're missing out on a lot of the stuff going on and it is sad... I think I need to see a regular 2D version just to be able to enjoy the details.

I really did not like the troll scene. It felt so out of place in tone.. it was rather silly.. I mean troll blowing his nose on Bilbo would be funny in like PotC or Harry Potter but for me it felt out of place.. I know the book is a children's book and the book-people might enjoy the nod to the book.

I understand why the white goblin got so much screen time and why they needed a main baddie for the movie but I found him really annoying.

And what's up with all the bridges... none of them have railings? Neither the ones in Rivendell nor the goblin-built ones... and the dwarves don't seem fond of railings either, think Moria... What's wrong with these people?

I didn't like that Radagast's hedgehog was called Sebastian.. that's too much of a non-Middle-earth name.. magic was broken for mere there.
And rabbits?? Seriously, rabbits??? Why?

I didn't quite buy why Bilbo is absolutely sure he doesn't want to go on the adventure the night before and when he wakes up he's like. "Wait for me, I'm going too". I know it isn't well ecplained in the book either but I would have liked something.. more.

And I missed more female characters.. the only female to have lines and more than a nano second of screen time was Galadriel. I know there are no females in the book either but.. I just missed it..

The eagle scene was so poetic and beautiful.

I LOVED Riddles in the Dark, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED!!!! I already mentioned it but it was perfectly balanced with the comic and the serious. You could tell that Gollum is already a very established character. They played on his schizophrenia just perfect.

OMG, Martin Freeman!! He was perfect. He nailed Bilbo'd character and he'sgot such a comical talent. His facial expressions - priceless!!

So, still waiting for more impressions.. now get on here, I know there are plenty of yuo guys who have seen the movie!!

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: December 13th, 2012, 5:25 pm 
Elf
Elf

I saw it today!

THE SOUNDTRACK! Words cannot describe it. Luckily I pre-ordered it and it arrived yesterday so I resisted listening to it until after I saw the film.

The only thing that really annoyed me was Galadriel. The whole dynamic between her and Gandalf was so wrong.

The Azog thing didn't really bother me that much. OK, yes they've mucked up the dwarves and Moria's history but oh well, it's a good plot for a film.

I actually loved Radagast.

FIGWIT! FIGWIT! FIGWIT! I don't care what they've named him he's always going to be Figwit to me.

I realised today that I'm a geek. A very big one. I went to Birmingham to see it in the IMAX cinema (the only one in the West Midlands) and as they were handing us the IMAX glasses they also gave us each a pack of 4 posters. They've very nice posters but they've written "The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey" in Tengwar on them.
It's wrong. They wrote "The Hobbit" with the vowels over the preceding constants (and wrote "b" out twice rather than representing the double letter using the wavy line) and then they wrote "an unexpected journey" with the vowels over the following constants.
So it doesn't make sense! I was getting quite angry about it. I know they've done it to make it look nicer but still!

Anyway, I'm still trying to gather my thoughts about it. My overwhelming feeling at the moment is to cry.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2012, 12:08 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I saw this today with my brother. We actually had to go to a different cinema for this, as our cinema in town was only showing it in 3D. I do not like 3D, it mutes the colours and forces me to wear uncomfortable glasses.

I have no complaints about this film, I really, really don't. Most of you won't be aware but I was not excited for this one bit. I may have been updating AU with pictures and news, but I have never sought out any Hobbit stuff, I've not watched the production videos or anything. The posters didn't excite me, and to be honest I wasn't even looking forward to today.

And that is my philosophy when there is a chance that a prequel or a sequel to something you cherish may not be up to scratch. Expect nothing, and never be disappointed. As such, I was more than overwhelmed by this film, as I went in with a clear and open mind.

Things I absolutely loved:

Thorin. Honestly Richard Armitage should benefit hugely from being in this. I want him to reach worldwide stardom and fame. He for me, is on the same level as Martin Freeman as to who should have top billing. He absolutely is the most perfect Thorin I could ever have hoped for. I loved everything he did, everything he said. I cried like a baby when he accepted Bilbo and hugged him, and inwardly I cursed PJ and vowed never to watch the next two, when he "died" (yes I know he dies eventually but I didn't expect him to die then and I wasn't ready to let him go). I LOVED the moment when he faced the White Orc, it was dramatic and gave a real sense of "if this is how it all ends, then I will make it such an end", which went really well with some of the sacraficial moments in LotR, and carried on the same themes of honour and courage, which I loved to death.

Bilbo. Some people might think that Martin Freeman may have have overdone his role, with all the quirks and mannerisms, but these are the kind of performances I love. Bilbo IS eccentric, we know this, and seeing how he reacts to all the strange things that happen to him, as WE would react, was a pure joy to see. I honestly cannot imagine anyone else playing young Bilbo.

The music. Howard Shore has taken the familiar strains of Middle-earth, altered them to suit the new times and added many more themes just because he can. There were so many pieces that I recognised and so many new ones to enjoy. The Dwarven theme is amazing. I never thought anything would compare with the DUM DUM DU-DU-DUUUUUUUM Fellowship theme, but OMG this is up there with the best theme Howard Shore has written. And how lovely to hear Rivendell's theme but with a lighter mood to suit the happier times!

The Dwarves on the whole, I loved. If I have one complaint it is that so far, only a few of them have "characters". Yes we know there is the fat one and the one with the axe in his head as well as some others, but we don't know much about them yet, something I hope will change.

The new locations. Was it even a possbility that PJ has made New Zealand even more stunning? Where there any new locations to be found? Honestly, so far The Hobbit is more gorgeous than LotR concerning the scenery. The mountain vistas, the plains and the woodlands, it is supremely beautiful to look at.

Radagast. I really liked Radagast. He always seemed to me to be the oddball of the wizarding world anyway in the Hobbit, and I think they went with that, but at the same time, he has power and also some nouse about him. I didn't find him Narnia like, the idea that there is a wizard that cares for animals and the living things around him, and is a little bit quirky, plays off the standard wizard role of Gandalf and Saruman. Apart from dealing with the Necromancer, I'm not sure what part he plays in evolving the story, BUT I think it was another element of Tolkien's world that PJ had the opportunity to show off.

Things that were a bit meh:

CGI. Some of the CGI was quite poor. The Goblin King and the White Orc were quite bad I thought. And then when you see Gollum who is now looking so real I like Weta have created an actual living Gollum in their basement, they look even worse. The wargs have not improved either but these are minor quibbles.

That's pretty much all I can think of for that category. :P

Quote:
They didn't explain why Bilbo decided to go on the adventure all of a sudden out of the blue

Quote:
I didn't quite buy why Bilbo is absolutely sure he doesn't want to go on the adventure the night before and when he wakes up he's like. "Wait for me, I'm going too". I know it isn't well ecplained in the book either but I would have liked something.. more.

I couldn't remember if there was an explanation in the book, but I think it was kind of clear, to me at least, that everything Gandalf had said to Bilbo probably did sink in. Yes, he liked adventure when he was younger and now he's just a house proud Hobbit who really is doing nothing of any importance all day. Also, it seemed to me that the song of the Dwarves and their story, affected Bilbo and made him think perhaps on his own life and also his home. When he wakes up the next day, he is looking around his home hoping not to see the Dwarves and when he finds them gone, his body language suggests "what do I do now? am I going to regret this" and then when he sees the contract still there, as if the Dwarves and Gandalf are hoping he will change his mind, I think that cinches it for him, and he takes the opportunity to do something extraordinary for a Hobbit.

Quote:
The troll scene.. rather silly.. but I didn't like it much in the book either. If you liked it in the book, you mght find it entertaining in the movie too

Quote:
I really did not like the troll scene. It felt so out of place in tone.. it was rather silly.. I mean troll blowing his nose on Bilbo would be funny in like PotC or Harry Potter but for me it felt out of place.. I know the book is a children's book and the book-people might enjoy the nod to the book.

I think if you didn't like the trolls in the book, you were never going to like them in the film. I didn't have a problem with the troll scene, and yes perhaps it was slightly childlish, but no more childish than some of the things Merry and Pippin did or said in LotR, and unlike trolls who are dim, you would think fairly old Hobbits would behave a little less childishly than they did. I think if PJ hadn't put them in, and made them to be more stupid than frightening, then he would have disappointed a lot of people, because that was definitely a memorable part for me when my dad read the Hobbit to me as a kid.

Quote:
The way the council patrionised Gandalf...

You see, I think this scene was genius. I don't think Gandalf was being patronised by the Council so much as by Saruman and this gives you a hint of what is to come (which we already know but the characters don't). Obviously the Elves are mistrustful of Dwarves and their love of gold, so it is to be expected that they at least wanted to know what Gandalf was up to, hence Galadriel and Elrond. I personally think this Council was more Saruman's idea, a why to show Gandalf who is boss and whose word is law. The scene where Gandalf rolls his eyes when he hears Saruman, suggests he has had to explain himself to Saruman before.... just like he has to in FotR. So it is kind of setting up the relationships for the next 60 years between characters who will become true allies and true enemies.

Quote:
Radagast.. I don't know but it reminded me of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Quote:
Radagast, same as you Ëa! He seemed more at place in Narnia than in Middle Earth.

Quote:
I didn't like that Radagast's hedgehog was called Sebastian.. that's too much of a non-Middle-earth name.. magic was broken for mere there.
And rabbits?? Seriously, rabbits??? Why?

^ More on Radagast above. I really didn't mind that he called the hedgehog Sebastian. It's not a really common name, and perhaps it was taken from another Tolkien character. I don't think it was anymore out of place as Rosie. Who is Rosie when you have Bilbo, Peregrin, Meriadoc, Frodo, Belladonna? I thought the rabbits were OK actually, but I can understand why people wouldn't like their inclusion.

Quote:
Some parts seemed a bit too digitalized.. What I liked about LOTR were the 'real' scenes, and it seemed that the majority of scenes in this movie were made on PC rather than being filmed on an actual location.

I'm not so sure about that to be honest. Admittedly in this film alone, there are at least 3 realms which would have had to have the actors on a green screen. Rivendell, Erebor and the Goblin cave. And that's quite a lot for just one film. Especially as we saw Erebor quite a few times and also Rivendell from a few different perspectives. I think it probably is the same as LoTR, but obviously something like TTT had the advantage of mainly being set in Rohan, a real location where most of the action was filmed on a specially built set. Scenes with the Council at Rivendell for example, anything at the back showing Rivendell scenery would have had to have been CGI.

Quote:
I was confused about the difference between Azog and the Goblin King. I thought they were one and the same person, but apparently they are two persons?

Quote:
I understand why the white goblin got so much screen time and why they needed a main baddie for the movie but I found him really annoying.

I can imagine there were lots of discussions about how to make these two characters so different that they would be told apart from one another. I think the fact one was white and missing a hand, and one was the ugliest thing I've seen in LotR probably helped. :P My confusion sometimes was what exactly was the White Orc? Yes I know he ws an orc, but he just made me wonder how the hell it was possible to have one so big and so white.

Quote:
And I didn't like Thorin attacking that Azog fellow after he climbed from the tree. It made the scene a bit too long and overly dramatic.

^ Above about Thorin.

Quote:
And what's up with all the bridges... none of them have railings? Neither the ones in Rivendell nor the goblin-built ones... and the dwarves don't seem fond of railings either, think Moria... What's wrong with these people?

LOL! Honestly can't say I ever noticed that. But now you mention it, the Dwarves were very remiss not to put a handrail in Khazad-dum....

Quote:
And I missed more female characters.. the only female to have lines and more than a nano second of screen time was Galadriel. I know there are no females in the book either but.. I just missed it..

Nope, it never occurred to me at all, not even when Galadriel appeared that we were missing a few females. Honestly, brawling Dwarves, Hobbits and Wizards are fine with me. I don't think any female should be added just because, but I have a feeling this may be the case with Tauriel.....

Quote:
I LOVED Riddles in the Dark, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED!!!! I already mentioned it but it was perfectly balanced with the comic and the serious. You could tell that Gollum is already a very established character. They played on his schizophrenia just perfect.

Yes the Gollum/Smeagol conversations worked so well because we all know what is going on, and Bilbo hasn't got a clue. I did wonder why Smeagol never recognised the species called a Hobbit considering that he was very similiar once himself, but that was probably the way it was in the book.

Quote:
The only thing that really annoyed me was Galadriel. The whole dynamic between her and Gandalf was so wrong.

Ah, I really love their moments together. You really get the impression that Galadriel is like this elusive being, who Gandalf really doesn't see that often, but reveres her for her wisdom and her beauty. It also shows that Galadriel trusts Gandalf even if his opinions differ from Saruman, his supposed superior. I think it showed the beginning of their relationship as regards to helping each other keep Middle-earth safe. I also think it showed that although Gandalf is 3000 years old and powerful, he has fears and that Galadriel will be there for him, and I think that support and knowledge probably means a lot to Gandalf, consdering how powerful she is. It also shows how she seems so emotionlessly sad when she believes that Gandalf has been killed. I always thought it was because he was Gandalf the Grey and an ally, but I think it was now more because he was a friend as well.

Quote:
I actually loved Radagast.

YAY! Drinks all round. :D

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 14th, 2012, 6:42 am 
Elf
Elf

Like you JF, I didn't go into the film expecting great things. I have watched a couple of the earlier production videos and I watch the first trailer that was released last December but I've avoided everything else.

I went into the cinema expecting them to change lots and to add lots of stuff in. It probably helped that I read the book up until chapter 7 (so the Eagles) the night before so I had it all fresh in my mind.
I basically went in with a clear mind. So I was blown away.

About the scenery. At the beginning I started crying because it was so beautiful. I was so happy. (I'm just strange. )

Just some more thoughts. I love how they've managed to keep the light-heartedness of the book as well as still having all the serious stuff. Like in FotR they made Merry and Pippin into the funny characters because the book is actually very serious and audiences need some comic relief.
But I'm really glad they've kept the comedy and the silliness of the Hobbit. I was worried they would have kept the film quite serious so it was similar to LotR. I don't really know what I'm saying here. I suppose it's that between the two books the Hobbit is very much a children's book with very silly, very funny parts in it and I've glad they've kept them in.

Another thing. What on earth is it with the eye candy having to be an archer? When I first saw the trailer and the early posters my main thought was what they did to Kíli. I like to call it "The Legolas Factor". Turn one of the characters into eye candy for all the girls. :eyeroll:
But now I don't care. I loved Kíli. I don't care that they turned his character into eye candy because it's very good eye candy. But then again Aidan Turner is one of the very few men that I find attractive. (I'm a Being Human fan.)

PostPosted: December 14th, 2012, 1:37 pm 

Watched it at midnight last night!

HOWARD FREAKING SHORE. Possibly the thing that gave me the most joy while watching was the score. I absolutely love the "Misty Mountains Cold" song, especially when the full brass section gets into it with the huge sweeping majestic scope. AAAH. And then when the elves from Rivendell showed up to battle the orcs they played the LOTHLORIEN BATTLE THEME AND I JUST AUGH THAT THEME IS SO GORGEOUS AND FANTASTIC AND NOW I GUESS IT'S ELVES IN BATTLE IN GENERAL AND NOT JUST LOTHLORIEN AND SO I BET WE GET MORE IN THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES AND OH MY GOSH. And when Gandalf was talking about why he chose Bilbo! The simple hobbit theme! On the one instrument, no embellishes, pure hobbit! Ooooh, it's just so beautiful.

Gandalf talking about Bullrorarer Took - pure Tolkien. The dwarves washing-up song - pure Tolkien. Those moments made me so happy.

WETA AND ANDY SERKIS OH MY GOSH YOU ARE ALL PERFECT I WANT TO LOVE YOU FOREVER. The CGI has improved so much from LotR. There were times I swore it was just Andy Serkis with some makeup on, the amount of detail and expression they were able to capture. It was amazing. And Andy going back and forth, being so lovable and joyful at being able to play games with someone else as Smeagol, and then just flipping the switch and being Gollum. It was absolutely fantastic that he got to show such extreme sides.

I did not expect to love Richard Armitage as much as I do. I love the actor, but I'm not a huge fan of Thorin. He's always just seemed too aloof and too close to being cruel/hard/a jerk/whatever. But Richard did a great job of making him come to life for me and be a full character that I could both sympathize with and dislike other parts. And I liked the little foreshadowing nod to "your pride will be your downfall" and I'm interested to see that play out.

I was not a big fan of the beginning. It felt a little too clunky to me, trying to get all the exposition out. I get that you need to know this exposition (and every time it came up it just slightly pulled me out) and that there's not really any good way to do it, but maybe less voiceover or something? I don't know. Regardless, seeing the beautiful design of the hall under the mountain almost made up for it. =D

I really, really loved Rivendell. I think that was my favorite part of the movie. The way they treated Elrond was fantastic! There were just all these subtle changes in the costume design that let you know they were still in the hopeful, summertime stage of the elves. There's peace in the land and this hope that elves will still be able to stay a lot longer. Hugo Weaving had excellent acting choices - he was just more active, more energetic, less solemn than he was in LotR. He stood or walked when before he would've sat, his clothing was purples and blues instead of browns, I mean just everything overall made me love it so much more. And of course, thrilled to see Bret McKenzie back as (apparently now) one of Elrond's right hand elves? =P Fan power! I'm really hoping the extended dvd (they'll have one, right? They HAVE to) will have him singing a song because he was standing there while they were playing the music, so fingers crossed.

Of course, Martin Freeman did an excellent job as Bilbo. He had a great mixture of ordinary hobbitness and courage. But probably my favorite moments were when he was talking to Bofur about Bag End, when he was watching Gollum as he was deciding to kill him or not, and when he told Thorin he wanted to help them get their home back. Just great overall acting in those moments (well, and everywhere else but you know).

I am SO excited to see the Mirkwood elves more. They were nicely done in the little glimpses, so it should be great!

Quote:
Quote:

Ah, I really love their moments together. You really get the impression that Galadriel is like this elusive being, who Gandalf really doesn't see that often, but reveres her for her wisdom and her beauty. It also shows that Galadriel trusts Gandalf even if his opinions differ from Saruman, his supposed superior. I think it showed the beginning of their relationship as regards to helping each other keep Middle-earth safe.

I agree, JF. It also really harkened back to the comment about how Galadriel wanted Gandalf to be head of the White Council instead of Saruman. She trusts his instincts more, believes his heart in the right place more, and I think that really shone through in the way they interacted. Love the White Council all around!

Quote:
I love how they've managed to keep the light-heartedness of the book as well as still having all the serious stuff.

Yes! They did a great job of changing the tone for these movies, which I am glad of. I know a lot of people were worried about it being just three more LotR movies, but this really showed that it is a children's story, and while there are dark elements, it's overall light with some dark and not dark with some light.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 14th, 2012, 4:36 pm 

Johnny's Fan wrote:
My confusion sometimes was what exactly was the White Orc? Yes I know he ws an orc, but he just made me wonder how the hell it was possible to have one so big and so white.

When he appeared on screen for the first time during the Battle of Moria I assumed he was the one that killed Thorin's grandfather, which we later found out was true. Since that was confirmed, I expected him to be killed in that same battle, which we were led to believe for a few hours, untill we found out he wasn't actually dead. Now I wonder what his role will be in the story..

Nurrantiel Mashiara wrote:
I really, really loved Rivendell. I think that was my favorite part of the movie. The way they treated Elrond was fantastic! There were just all these subtle changes in the costume design that let you know they were still in the hopeful, summertime stage of the elves. There's peace in the land and this hope that elves will still be able to stay a lot longer. Hugo Weaving had excellent acting choices - he was just more active, more energetic, less solemn than he was in LotR. He stood or walked when before he would've sat, his clothing was purples and blues instead of browns, I mean just everything overall made me love it so much more.

Can't believe I didn't mention that before! I loved seeing Elrond all active and warrior-like, compared to the more calm and serious version we saw in LOTR. This made him look younger and less troubled than during the War of the Ring, which fitted perfectly in the timeline. At first I was a bit confused by his happy attitude, but then he mentioned that they'd had peace for over 400 years, so no reason to be sad and depressed.

I was also intrigued by Saruman's behaviour on the White Council: He seemed a bit too eager to supress Gandalf's suspicions, which fits perfectly with his later behaviour. I LOVE how much attention they put into getting all those time-related details right :)

Hravan wrote:
Another thing. What on earth is it with the eye candy having to be an archer? When I first saw the trailer and the early posters my main thought was what they did to Kíli. I like to call it "The Legolas Factor". Turn one of the characters into eye candy for all the girls. :eyeroll:

Too be honest, I hadn't even thought about that. I can absolutely see what you mean, Kíli being the most cleanly shaven and fresh-looking Dwarf of them all, but my attention was actually more revolving around Thorin :lol:

But for a full, well-informed opinion I'll probably have to see it again ;-)

PostPosted: December 14th, 2012, 7:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Okay, I loved the movie. I had small quibbles with Radagast's sled, the White Orc and the CGI, but over all I loved it.

The dwarves are by far my favorite race of Middle Earth and seeing them on screen was fantastic. One scene that struck me as particularly great was when Bilbo is about to abandon everyone and has a conversation with Bofur and the audience is reminded that the dwarves are essentially homeless. They are refugees fighting to stay alive and keep what they love and it was fabulous (I have so many dwarf feelings on this but I won't even get into it).

The pacing was askew for me. I thought it was a bit all over the place, but this is also coming from the person who would have been happy with three movies solely based on the book where the filler was just camp-side banter and hangout sessions where we play get to know the dwarves.

Set 1: Nurr | Set 2: Me

PostPosted: December 14th, 2012, 8:42 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Okay, so I saw it on Tuesday night. And I loved it. But because I'm in the middle of revising for my final exam this semester, I kind of haven't realized yet that I've seen it. I'm seeing it again on the 19th, after which I will be back with a fully formed opinion on just about everything. From reading through you guys' stuff I can tell that I liked and disliked some different stuff than you, but my overall opinion right now is one of blissful love. I will be more coherent and opinionated in a few days though :)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 16th, 2012, 1:14 am 
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Spoilers to follow, obviously:

I saw it Friday night and refused to watch any additional trailers beforehand because even though I've read the book, I didn't want to ruin the actual movie for myself and know what was going to be said in what scenes, etc. If that makes sense?

ANYWHO...

I loved it. I want to see it again! I honestly enjoyed the entire movie, though I did have some pet peeves, mostly being with the CGI - though maybe that was just me, cause we ended up in the front row (having come into the theater late) and I nearly broke my neck trying to lean back in order to see the entire movie screen. Why do they even have those dumb seats right up next to the screen? Might as well have just taped myself to it for goodness sake. But to me, some things didn't look like they actually fit into the film - mostly things like the Wargs, Radagast's bird, and even the eagles bugged me a bit. But other things looked okay, like Azog and the trolls, and Smeagol too. I dunno, could have just been me :erm:

But I actually really loved Thorin more than I thought I would - all of the dwarves to be honest - but Thorin felt reminiscent of Aragorn to me so maybe that's why. And I now think he's sexy, maybe moreso than Kili.

The beginning was so good - I love how well-blended it was with LotR. And seeing Frodo/Elijah Wood again made me squee inside! Oh teh memoriesssss <3

Going against what seems to be the popular opinion, I actually enjoyed the troll scene, to be honest (and in the book, too). I thought it was hilarious, especially the parasites part :P Our whole audience was laughing so hard at that. I liked the humor throughout the entire film, really. It was nice to break it up between the serious bits.

Rivendell was gorgeous and I didn't want those scenes to end. Galadriel looked flawless and beautiful, whether she should have been there or not - no question about that. And all of the character interactions in the movie were great, very good chemistry between the actors. :)

And the music. Oh my god, I thought the fight scenes were epic to begin with but the music made them a million times more awesome. And the Misty Mountains song? Holy crap. Howard Shore is genius for composing something so beautiful and haunting and I think Tolkien would have been proud of that.

Before I end this, I have to add that I nearly died at seeing Thranduil on screen for the first time :drool: We obviously know where Legsy gets his good looks ;) hehe

PostPosted: December 16th, 2012, 4:04 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I seen it tonight & let me say i had one HUGE disappointment about this move = it ended! :(
Needless to say I thought the movie was absolutely awesome !

I just thought the scenes with Gollum & Bilbo in the cave were so epic and how Peter Jackson made sure that Gollum had a little bit more younger and healthier look to him at the time is just the kind of detail that these books deserve when put on a movie screen and Jackson once again did not fail me in no way shape or form as I was the first to start the hand clapping at the end & am so more excited now to see the Desolation of Smaug!!!

PostPosted: December 16th, 2012, 4:50 am 
Maia
Maia

Finally saw it this afternoon. Liked the washing up song, and that whole scene. Any little bits like that from the book made me squee. My three favourite Dwarves are still my favourites. I liked the characters, and um, also the actors playing them. (Kili, Fili, and Thorin. Rowr!) In my opinion, Thorin still looks like he might fit in with the Rangers of Gondor. Maybe Kili too.

Riddles in the Dark... it looked great. Happy with that, it was my fave book scene (from that part, at least.) Can it be next year, so I can see Smaug already??

PostPosted: December 17th, 2012, 10:15 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Saw it opening night, went in costume. So much much! :-D I loved it as well, I was really impressed with how the directing was clearly different from the LotR trilogy, but the movies are still relatable. My biggest issues, like many of you, were with the fancy-shmancy 3D effects which I didn't think were necessary (though it was neat to get my green "hobbit" 3D glasses). It's a bummer that Azog was completely CG. It would've been amazing if they put special effects make-up on a bulky actor and enhanced it from there if needed (we all know how amazing the Uruk-hai looked!).

I love Radagast, but I definitely see the Narnia comparison. I was completely heartbroken when I learned Ngila Dickson wouldn't return for costume design, and while Ann Maskrey is talented, I think unlike Nglia she tends to make what what we think as more stereotypically fantasy designs.

There were little plot holes here and there, but I'm thinking they'll be nicely patched up in the extended edition which I eagerly await! :yes:

PostPosted: December 17th, 2012, 2:13 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I saw The Hobbit yesterday afternoon and I was pretty pleased with how it turned out.
The opening was kind of nostalgic as far as seeing Frodo and old Bilbo once again, but I do have to agree with Nurrantiel with the whole exposition being a bit on the odd side, like it somehow didn't really fit in with the plot in someway. My only other nitpick really is that some scenes were out of order from the book. For example, in the book the Eagle scene was supposed to be before they meet Radagast in the book, but again that's just me nitpicking.

The CGI didn't really bother me too much, though the Troll scene did look a tad on the fake side. And I actually liked Radagast, he may have a few screws loose and may be timid like a mouse, but I guess it's that quirkiness that makes him stand out. Plus, when he was on the sleigh with the rabbits my mom turned to me and said, "That reminds me of Santa Clause." And I had to agree with her.

My favorite parts though had to be the dwarves entering poor Bilbo's house and their singing. I loved how cheery and upbeat the That's What Bilbo Hates song and has to be my favorite song that they sung, though the haunting song about their home was also well done. It was like I could feel their woe. I also liked the Rivendell scene, they managed to re-capture the beauty of the place and it was good to also see Elrond again. Galadriel was also a character I enjoyed seeing, but I think with the scenes of her and Gandalf there will be more shipping in that department, I don't know...
Also, the Riddles in the Dark scene really captured how I pictured it in my brain, they really made Smeagle/Gollum come to life and I loved it when Gollum was like "Shut up! ...I wasn't talking to you." Almost reminded me of a bipolar, psychotic grandmother haha.
I also have to agree, I loved Thorin's backstory. It truly breathed life into the character and gave a more clear explanation as to why he hates Orcs so much and is so bent on reclaiming the Lonely Mountain.
The scene where Bilbo also mentioned the Shire and how the Dwarves don't have a home and he'll help take the Dwarve's home back was really touching, I have to agree Martin Freeman captured Bilbo really well!

A bit out of stray with the review I may have a prediction...
Since the Necromancer was mentioned and is bringing back people from the Dead, my theory is that since this movie is supposed to be pre-LotR that the Necromancer will try to bring back Sauron but somehow fails to completely do so and that's how the Eye of Sauron came to be. Like I said, it's just a prediction, I don't know if this actually happens or will happen...

Overall I enjoyed the movie and I cannot wait for the other two to be completed. :)

PostPosted: December 17th, 2012, 9:38 pm 

Sadly, I didn't get to see the movie until today, but oh my god. :swoon: Was it perfect? No, but it was pretty damn close. :yes:

I think I need to see it again before I can write a completely coherent and thoughtful reaction post, but there were so many good things. Thorin. The dwarves having their own little personalities (I particularly love Fili and Kili being sassy arrogant reckless teenagers). The beautiful soundtrack. Thranduil's deer. Erebor. New shots of Rivendell.

The tone was certainly different to LotR, but it worked--it was fun, a bit silly at times (like the book) but still had a healthy dose of Epic, and overall it was incredibly enjoyable.

Oh, and Martin Freeman--absolutely nailed it. :yes:

Anyway, I've accepted the fact that I am going to be a rabid Kili fangirl and y'all can deal with it because he is a babe. <3