Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saruman
PostPosted: January 31st, 2013, 1:22 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Did anyone else love the fact there was a hint of what was to come, regarding Saruman's relationship with Gandalf and his general reluctance to do believe that anything was wrong in Middle-earth?

I really liked Gandalf's "oh, no he isn't here is he?" look of resignation when he heard Saruman speak, and the whole scene was basically Saruman berating Gandalf... which he kind of does the first time we see him in Fellowship.

I also liked the fact that while Saruman is whittling on, Galadriel is clearly more interested in what Gandalf has to say, which again, I think gives an indication as to who she prefers to listen to and trust.

Basically Saruman's attitude was not better 60 years before Fellowship. :p

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Saruman
PostPosted: January 31st, 2013, 3:35 pm 

Yes, I loved that part. I also noticed that Saruman seems a bit annoyed with Gandalf not listening to him because he's having a telepathic conversation with Galadriel. You can faintly hear Saruman say something like "Not that someone ever listens", in a very displeased tone.

It did a very good job in showing what Saruman's true interests were, which was certainly not the protecting of Middle Earth, even 60 years before the Ring popped up again.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2013, 7:39 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I loved that too, clearly he's interested in power and treats Gandalf like a worthless stoner :P

PostPosted: February 1st, 2013, 9:48 am 
Balrog
Balrog

I wasn't actually much of a fan of this part, cause I feel like it doesn't really correspond with how Gandalf goes straight to Saruman when he needs advice in FotR. Gandalf trusts Saruman completely in FotR, but in The Hobbit he's somewhat (although not outwardly) disrespectful, and doesn't give the impression of trusting him and his advice very much at all.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 1st, 2013, 6:39 pm 

^Hm, I never thought about that. But I would suppose once they convince Saruman to move against the Necromancer and then realize it's Saruon, he probably acts genuine again. And Saruman's big "hobby" so to speak is Ring lore, so when Gandalf sees Frodo has the ring he probably figures Saruman would be the best one to know how to act.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2013, 1:34 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^That's true I suppose. Given that this is only the first movie, it's entirely possible that things happen that makes Saruman regain their trust and respect, but I still think that they're too dismissive of him for how Gandalf acts in FotR. If he was so in awe of Galadriel and so very much not in awe of Saruman, would it not make just as much sense for him to go to her in FotR? I just don't think it works very well with how Tolkien portrayed them.

That's not to say that I don't think it's great that they're foreshadowing Saruman's behavior in LotR though. That's awesome, and also very important. I just wish the others were less disrespectful towards him, because that doesn't work, in my opinion.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 5:44 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I didn't get the impression that they were being respectful towards Saruman.

From Gandalf's expression, you get the idea that Saruman perhaps often scolds him for his ideas and maybe judging by how he disapproves of Radagast's way of living, that he has problems with Gandalf spending time with lesser beings (e.g Hobbits). There is definitely some kind of relationship trouble with Gandalf and Saruman, but even so, when something big comes up, Gandalf still looks to Saruman for his wisom and advice... he probably just doesn't look forward to any scoldings. Hence why he went to him in FotR, he is Saruman the Wise after all. And I guess when he realised Saruman was at Rivendell... and he's involved in this mission that probably won't be popular...no wonder he looked resigned and almost sighed, because he knows what is coming.

Regarding Galadriel being disrespectful, I think she could just see that there was something that Gandalf had not shared with them, and perhaps unless she had spoken to him, he would not have done so, considering that Saruman was not really listening to anything Gandalf was telling him. And it was a good thing that she did speak to him, because up until then, Elrond was pretty much agreeing with Saruman, but the revelation of the Mordul Blade pretty much stunned them all...except Saruman.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW