Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gandalf and Galadriel
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2018, 6:09 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Héalic wrote:
Also, idk if anyone mentioned this, but Galadriel is married y'all.

... and.... ?
:lol: ;-)

Selquet wrote:
Well, speaking absolutely movie-wise, I felt that spark, too. But I felt it in a way, that there was nothing physical between them, ever. Instead, Galadriel might have felt more understood by Gandalf than she could ever feel by anyone, Celeborn included. And that they might feel something little romantic towards each other, but they would never act on it.
In my opinion, it was nice to make it a bit confusing in the movie. Since real life relationships are also not just black and white.

I agree Selquet. I have to say the best part of all of the PJ Hobbit movies was the White Council, and Cate looke much more 'Galadriel' like than in the Lord of the Rings movies.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2018, 1:26 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Well, the “Gandalf and” bit is pure PJ fanfic. And Galadriel, as it appears in later writings (ask Elthir about details ;-) ), was the character that JRRT had his longest and most severe attack of niggling. Somewhere, she was supposed to have been 6 feet 4 inches tall. Somewhere else, she actively fought in the Battle of Alqualondë for her Telerin kin against the murderous Noldorin hordes of Fëanor. A tough lady whose “not amused” displeasure you arouse at your own peril (ask Sauron in TH the film … *cough, cough*).

6’4” makes me naturally think of basketball. And then I almost always think of the 1992 Barcelona Summer Olympics US basketball team, the first one which was allowed to send NBA professional players to the Olympics. The original Dream Team. Just the names I actively remember: Patrick Ewing, Larry Bird, Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Charles Barkley, Magic Johnson; solid hall of fame; throw in Shaquille O'Neal, Dennis Rodman, the other Malone, Moses – I know I’m missing loads of stellar performers.

Middle-earth is a fantasy, secondary world. Basketball would have been a women’s sport for Elves (like field hockey, or even “soccer”, which are, especially the second, anything but that). The men, especially the Noldor, would have preferred a cross between American football, Gaelic (most likely Australian rules) football, Rugby (any rules), Lacrosse and ice hockey, with war weapons thrown in (swords, maces, pikes, whatever) just to make things interesting.

So that 1992 basketball Olympic (men’s) Dream Team, fortified by some players from earlier and later ages (like Wilt Chamberlain … oh, never mind) goes up against an Elven Women’s team led by Galadriel. After about 5 minutes, every single player on the human “Dream Team” has had his “OUCH!!!” moment (even Rodman), and decided that he’s going to sit out the rest of the game. The manufacturers of backboards are frantically phoning around to find some company able to provide titanium-tungsten backboards, and quick. Galadriel is giving an interview to CNN commenting about how that Hobbit team recently was much more of an opponent than these late-age humans … :lol:

PostPosted: June 4th, 2018, 10:51 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Quote:
"Instead, Galadriel might have felt more understood by Gandalf than she could ever feel by anyone, Celeborn included."

I realize you said "might"... but can you expand a bit about why you say this?

PostPosted: June 4th, 2018, 11:04 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Quote:
"Somewhere, she was supposed to have been 6 feet 4 inches tall."

I have argued (which means not all folks agree with me about this) that in late sources, Tolkien mused about two variant scenarios with respect to the height of the Eldar… and in one of these scenarios at least, Galadriel at 6 feet 4 inches would be (again in my opinion), too short.

Her "canon height" (author published): the Lady was no less tall than the Lord (Fellowship of the Ring)

:yes: