Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dwarven Mounts
PostPosted: February 26th, 2015, 8:42 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Just wondering, what all kinds of mounts do dwarves ride? So far we have seen ponies, pigs, and goats! I love the goats myself but is there anything else in lore or expanded universe stuff?

Also, what would you want as a mount?

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject: Re: Dwarven Mounts
PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 4:49 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Can`t remember any animal from the books, I think it`s Peter Jackson imagination. But i may be wrong.

For me, a lioness would be great for a ride, I love furry animals.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2015, 4:23 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Yeah, I don't recall anything... other than the wargs of course.

A lioness would be pretty cool! There are tons of neat ideas. Honestly (despite the fact they are evil) I think the wargs are pretty cool myself. I'd liken them to a hyenna... which would also make a pretty fearsome mount I suspect. lol

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 3:38 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

You`re right, wargs are mighty animals, I suposse it would be great.
But not so great as being on the back of the eagle, hmm?

Last edited by ibis on March 1st, 2015, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 3:43 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Quite true... the eagles would offer and advantage unlike any others!

I'd love to see thranduil's moose in battle too. lol I have a slight fascination with moose! And goats... and wargs.... lol

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 10:22 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

In the hobbit, the dwarves ride ponies. And goats (but that is PJ's imagination). In Lotr, Gimli doesn`t like horses at all.

I would like to mount a dragon. Not so big and evil as Smaug, though.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 1:17 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Well, I am thinking that PJ didn't come up with the idea of dwarves riding goats. I don't know if any of you have played the LOTR online game but in their expansion "The Mines of Moria," which came out all the way back in 2008 they added in-game goats as mounts. These mounts could only be acquired from the dwarves in the mines.

I think PJ saw the sucess of the game and tried to play, in part, to the audience the game had drawn.

A dragon would for sure be fun to ride. Kind of like the eagles... just the prospect of flying. That would be great!

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 2:00 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I see there will be many dragon riders here :-D

But I remembered someone else today. Huan, the great hound of Valinor. He would definitely be my choice!

PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 3:54 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Oh hey! Yeah! I had not even thought of him! He would be an amazing mount. I'm glad you brought him up!

PostPosted: March 10th, 2015, 7:18 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I love the ponies the most.

I did think the pig was kind of cute too.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2015, 5:18 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Ponies are kind of endearing I guess. They are a constant so I can see that I guess. I like the more exotic mounts myself, usually. :P

I was a bit taken aback by the pig... wasn't sure what to think but it does fit in a strange sort of way. lol

PostPosted: March 11th, 2015, 7:29 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Yes, I think the ponies are very endearing.

The unique mounts are just a little too different for me some times.

Other than the pig. haha

PostPosted: March 11th, 2015, 9:08 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Many of Tolkien's Dwarves have been given Norse names -- which are not their real names, but translations of some unknown "outer" mannish names...

... which means nothing with respect to what they rode or didn't ride (besides ponies), but in Norse mythology, according to Húsdrápa, Freyr rode Gullinbursti (a magical boar) to Baldr's funeral, while in Gylfaginning, Snorri states that Freyr rode to the funeral in a chariot pulled by the boar.

And Thor's chariot was pulled by magical goats, at least; magical in that he could eat them, if need be, and bring them back to life to continue their chariot duties. There may be more examples in Norse or other mythologies.

I remembered the name Gullinbursti (well, who can forget it) as a great or magical boar, but full disclosure, I went to Wikipedia to confirm this much, although I have at least some of the Norse material.

Anyway this is the sort of tenuous reference that I would normally point to as tenuous, as none of this means that Tolkien's Dwarves rode boars or goats, no more than any of Tolkien's Istari rode chariots pulled by rabbits...

... or something :cough:...

... but it gave me something to post iny case :yes:

How often do you get to post about Gullinbursti! I guess as often as you want but this is my first time.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2015, 5:25 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Elthir... I always do love to read your posts! :D You always have such interesting and informative stuff. lol

Thanks for commenting this is quite interesting indeed! I did not know any of this stuff nor would have known to even look for it!

When you say the Dwarves were given Norse names which were not their real names who gave them the Norse names? Is this something Tolkien did or something that has been done since?

It would be quite interesting to know if this info had any bearing on why goats and the pig were added as dwarven mounts.

And yes, lol, it would not be every day I would imagine someone getting to post about that!

PostPosted: March 11th, 2015, 6:00 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

LOL! Thanks Jax Nova. Sometimes my silliness gets a bit silly ;-)

Quote:
When you say the Dwarves were given Norse names which were not their real names who gave them the Norse names? Is this something Tolkien did or something that has been done since?

Yes Tolkien I would say, and I would only add "in his guise as translator" (of some copy of the Red Book of Westmarch). In "real life" for The Hobbit Tolkien casually lifted many names from the section of the Norse Völuspá called the Dvergatal, or "Catalogue of Dwarves". Gandalf is a Dwarf-name from there as well...

... however, when The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings became part of Tolkien's world (which generally started with early poetry, The Book of Lost Tales and later "Silmarillion" related writings and poems), how did Old Norse fit into the linguistic scenario of the "new" Middle-earth?

It didn't, and couldn't. Tolkien's Dwarves lived long before these modern languages (if old to us) came to exist, so the Dwarves could hardly have names made from Old Norse elements with Old Norse meanings...

... but Tolkien wrangled a way to explain it all (if not all perfectly, perhaps), in Appendix F, On Translation. The Dwarves inner names were in Dwarvish, but remained secret to them, usually.

But you have to call them something, so they had not-secret "outer names" too, but again these would be in some Mannish tongue spoken way (way) back in Bilbo's and Frodo's day, so still way before Old Norse existed: enter translation! Tolkien's conceit is that the Old Norse names are translations of the actual outer mannish names of the Dwarves, which we don't know because Tolkien didn't bother to invent the actual names.

According to Carl Hostetter Gimli is Old Norse for the site of the hall in which the righteous will dwell after the final conflagration, with a possible meaning 'Fire-lee'. In letter 297 Tolkien notes that: "Actually the poetic word gim in archaic O. N. verse is probably not related to gimm […] "gem", though possibly it was later associated with it: its meaning seems to have been "fire".

Gimli's outer Mannish name probably means something similar... to what Gimli means in Old Norse :-D

Anyway, various names of various characters are not actually their real names, if they hail from languages like Old English (Eowyn should mean "Horse-joy" in Old English for instance), or Old Norse, or English of course. But it can get a bit complicated, and for example the name Orthanc is a bit problematic here, as it is not only Old English but said to be Elvish as well, and of course Elvish was spoken back in Frodo's day!

I suspect Tolkien just couldn't resist having his fun with Orthanc. Quite the coincidence!

PostPosted: March 11th, 2015, 8:34 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Very interesting indeed!

That makes sense and is kind of an intriguing idea if I do say so myself. :)

I never even thought about how stuff like that would fit in.