Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 6:11 pm 

Yeah, I'd been thinking something like that... I posted a thread in Your Life... please add comment if I didn't cover everything that needed to be said... :)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 7:07 pm 

^ What about the RPG boards? I'm not an RP-er myself, but I get the feeling they're usually very isolated, and might not know what's going on.

I'm glad my little announcement sparked some discussion, because I felt a little pompous making it. :teehee: But in the earlier pages people had made little offers of volunteerism based on where they stand so I felt I should, too. I shall definitely be contributing to the discussions; I have too many ideas and opinions swirling around in my head to not blurt them out. :P

Aramel Elyanwe wrote:
That is pretty much what I was getting at when I brought up the whole "President" thing... perhaps a better term would be a manager? Someone who watches over the group and approves layouts, graphics, etc. without being <i>too</i> powerful. Just someone who will be able to provide the last bit of approval before something goes up on the site or whatever. :yes: And then if there's any problems or whatever, you just go to the manager of the group and they can offer advice/solutions like JF mentioned. :yes:

I think this is very well said. It makes it sound more like an "Editor" rather than "President," which has a less scary job description. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 7:10 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Yes, but Presidents get to have Oval offices and rugs and mugs with seals on them and suitcases with big red buttons tha can explode countries and.....

*realises her American/White House fangirlism is currently on overload*

*ahem*

I guess to make sure everyone gets to have their say and see what is going on... we should start putting stuff in sigs again.... relating to this new campaign as well.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 7:17 pm 

Taurquende wrote:
^ What about the RPG boards? I'm not an RP-er myself, but I get the feeling they're usually very isolated, and might not know what's going on.

As an avid RPGer I think I can say that the most RPGers, who are active at this moment, also check the other forums and some even posted here, so I think it's not necesary to post over there.. :)

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 10:48 pm 
Vala
Vala

Oh wow. I totally missed all this until Eä posted about it in the Your Life section (thanks so much, dear!).

I am totally in for this. I just read through this whole thread and skimmed the others. My basic thoughts on the main points, since ideas/opinions are requested...

1) I definitely think that it is totally plausible financially for the members to pay for the forum. But more on that in the finance thread.

2) I think that it could be good to make sure that the moderators and Arwen still retain their ranks as mods/admin, so that if they wanted to come back and participate at any time they could. We definitely don't want to exclude them in the least, basically-- as Arwen said, it doesn't have to be goodbye. But I also think the idea of a caretaker/manager/president is a good one. That position would probably have to be decided by voting of some sort. Electing the new moderators and so forth will be a somewhat tricky business-- I assume we would somewhat rely on the old moderators to help choose the new ones? Or would we poll the general A-U populace?

3) I definitely do think we need to keep the main site alive. I still go there all the time because it's such a good resource, and I link people there all the time as well. However, if we do that it does definitely need cleaning up.

4) Eventually it would be nice to get some regular site updates going again. As I think we said back in the threads when we originally started reviving A-U, the appearance of activity draws in more activity. In the couple dozen forums I've been on, I've seen this to be true over and over.

I guess that's mainly it. You all have been coming up with some stellar ideas, and honestly, I am very much excited to see where we could take this. :) I'm willing to help out in any way possible, once we get to implementing all these ideas.

There will come a time with no more tears
and love will not break your heart but dismiss your fears
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 11:54 pm 

As a general comment - I've been distracted by uni for the past few weeks since arriving back from holiday, and I was thoroughly surprised when I logged on today and found a miniature revolution taking place right before my eyes! Seeing people working together to revive this forum really touched me, and I feel awfully proud to know such determined people. It's such a relief to know that the days of wishing this forum would come back to life are over . . . :happy:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 7:03 am 
Maia
Maia

Just a random comment – I thought I’d finally post something on one of these threads! :-D I’ve been keeping track of all of them, reading everything with interest. =D I'm not really able to get greatly involved with organizing and stuff, but I just thought I’d show my support. :wave: It really is amazing to see this community pulling together to bring A-U back to life! <3 So anyhoo, carry on the good work! I might just post a few more remarks with my humble opinions :lol:

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 8:05 am 

Thanks guys. :hug: It means so much that even people who know they cannot contribute with anything else than being an active member post here to back this up. Honestly, without the wide support from the A-U community this wouldn't be worth it, in my opinion. So even if people only have time to drop a line regarding all this, I'd very much appreciate it. All input is important otherwise it feels like .. I don't know baking a cake for.. someone who doesn't like cake anyway, or making a cake with chocolate when the person turns out to hate chocolate... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 2:14 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I just spent the last 20 minutes reading what I've missed in the last week. Yahoo signed me out, and I didn't get any e-mail notices. Pain in the behind.

Anyways.

The general political situation is fascinating to me, actually. I think that there needs to be - in the words of JF - a top banana, who doesn't actually do much beyond make sure that things are running smoothly. An overseer who doesn't actually have much "power", rather ensures that the people who have it are using it properly. The people responsible for the smooth running are the mods. Here, election sounds totally viable, since it's a good way to keep everyone happy ;)

I noticed that people seem worried by the pace that all this is happening at. When evolution does not work, people inevitably turn to revolution. Quite frankly, I think that it's wonderful and exciting, and I'm pleased as a pie to be a part of it.

And all will turn to silver glass...

By Goldstrike

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 3:32 pm 

I just wanted to say I LOVE how everyone is changing back to LotR signatures and avatars... you all look gorgeous!!! And we're SO close to The Hobbit now!!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 3:42 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Yay JF started a revolution!! On to The White House for the Presidential carpet and striped chairs!!

:stab:

Or not. :P

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 9:40 pm 
Graphic Illusionist '08
Graphic Illusionist '08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Spy3Nd2D6w

I'm out. Good luck and good riddance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2011, 4:33 am 

I just wanted to take this moment and to say that I think we should keep going on with this! :) I haven't got any "job" to make things better, but I do believe that some great steps have been taken. And yes, changing a forum may be slow, but I think you guys have been doing great. I know there have been complaints about the AU being dead, whilst the revival is going on, but I would say: be the change youself! Go ahead and post! Find people you once knew on AU and contact them to ask them to come back again. Because leaving is just contributing to the general slowness and emptiness of the board. :P
I can't really help out myself with the Revival thing, but I do support you guys and just want to say: good luck and you're awesome!

[/peptalk]

:teehee:

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2011, 10:07 am 

:hug: Thanks Will!

So, we still need to get together with Arweb and discuss access and things of that nature. Gimli (site images), Lar (forum), Raina (coders), Ana & Haldir (Overseers), myself (site non images) did I miss anyone?....when are people best able to have a [s]party[/s] discussion on the AU chat?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2011, 11:20 am 
Balrog
Balrog

^I'm probably in a completely different timezone from pretty much everyone else on that list, so y'all just figure out when it's best for you and I'll try to be up even if it's in the middle of the night ;)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2011, 11:26 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I'm OK whenever you guys are. Early evenings/late evenings are best for me.

Although seeing as how I'm meant to be on a mission to rule AU, you all need to fly to MY house to have this conversation. :P :lol:

I suppose though, it's really Arwen's call regarding when, as she will be taking the time to spend with us, so maybe we should ask what is good for her first? :-)

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next