Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 3:34 am 

I apologize for not having been around. You know the usual excuse. I'm glad to see that we're putting some progress into thoroughly reviving the forum -- I know we've had quite a few attempts with very little to show for it, so this is encouraging.

Firstly, it's great to see such enthusiasm and realism to approaching this sort of project -- it is <b>not</b> going to be an easy one by any means. I feel like my most valued input in this would be my experience as a moderator. And it's a position that definitely isn't for the passion-driven. But nor is it completely defined by maturity level, either. I'm more than willing to offer whatever limited help I can throughout the whole process and am more than willing to stay on the moderating team as a part-time/consulting mod if it gets to it. I'm in the midst of my years at uni and every year it seems to get more and more challenging even in the summertime.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 7:06 am 

Eruraina wrote:
Just on idea: if one were to look up these names in the member list, how many would have the little email icon on their profile?

I did actually check their profiles after you posted here. Many of them didn't state their contact info and a couple of the very old and ancient mods who haven't been around for years had their e-mails on. But I admit I gave up on it. I don't think this is the right way to get them to come back. I think we need to target the mods who have actually been visitors/working on the site during the last few years to.. the other might be long gone and I don't see any reason why they should come back now. I put up the list mainly because Ivy suggested it.

Hi Kit, thanks for checking in, I'm gonna put you down as a re-joining moderator. :-)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 12:19 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Yay Kit!

Whatever advice or help you can give us, I'm sure will be helpful and of great use. Nice to see you around again. :hug:

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 12:29 pm 

Elegost Eruaphadion wrote:
I think how we should do it is just to ask Arweb (as her final act) or the Mod team to consider everybody who puts themselves forward and pick from the selection.

Fairest way to do it. Rules out popularity and stuff like that.

Obviously we can explain to them what our thoughts are and what we want to achieve, but isn't it a good idea to let those who have done the job pick from the finest we can put forward?

I think that's a fabulous and fair plan. :)

Carry on the good planning. :yes:

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 11:43 pm 

I'm like you, Will. Sounds like a plan that won't leave people out, and will open the position up to people from all sorts of backgrounds. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 12:05 am 

I think how we should do it is just to ask Arweb (as her final act) or the Mod team to consider everybody who puts themselves forward and pick from the selection.

Fairest way to do it. Rules out popularity and stuff like that.

Obviously we can explain to them what our thoughts are and what we want to achieve, but isn't it a good idea to let those who have done the job pick from the finest we can put forward?

I feel biased by saying I agree with your idea, but I do. As the others have said, it rules out popularity and we look at how well an individual will do as a moderator, rather than how popular they are (you have to admit, even though someone gets the popularity vote, they sometimes do a terrible job, whether it be politics or Prom Queen).

Anyway, if you guys decide to do this, I believe this will make Arweb and the rest of the moderator team a little more at ease while we trundle (is trundle a word? I rather like saying it...it reminds me of trek, but with a little more ambling) through this transition period.

[Will accept any PM! So PM me! :teehee:]

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 12:46 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

^ I think it's the only way to do it really. You are the ones who truly know what it is like maintaining this forum and also the site, so it only makes sense that you should choose who to do the jobs that need doing. :-)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 9:20 am 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I think that sounds like a great idea.

So how is that list of potential new staff members going to be put together? Out in the open or in private through PMs? Should we nominate people only or should those who feel up to the job put themselves forward?

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 6:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Aww, but then if the decision leaves anybody/everybody unhappy, you'll all have one final reason to hate me! :lost:

:laughbounce:

I'm not sure if this is something in which I should be involved, to be honest. At this point you can all take what I say with as big or small a grain of salt as you'd like, but here are some suggestions:

1) Decide how you want the board to be run <i>first</i>. Is it going to be a direct democracy? A democracy but only among moderators? Is there going to be a manager with the final say?

2) <i>Before</i> anyone submits their names as potential moderators, try to decide whether you want to implement any big changes to The Rules. I mean, I don't know if <i>I</i> agree with all the rules I set out In the Beginning :-P Are you going to keep everything PG-rated? Do you want to up the minimum age for new members? Do you want to allow political/religious discussion in a particular board, or everywhere on the site? It's going to be your decision, but I think you need to get these things sorted. <i>Then</i> people who would like to be moderators need to agree to abide by these rules themselves. Otherwise (especially if you're not going to appoint a manager) you'll be set to have a lot of internal sparring within your admin team, and that's all kinds of bad.

3) As a "last request" ( :stun: ), I <i>would</i> like to request that all current moderators who are still interested in moderating be retained. Even if you decide to elect new moderators based on a popular vote, I think it would be quite helpful for you to have some oldies around. Yes, I know many of you have moderating experience on other forums, but A-U's its own kind of animal (like a penguin).

Have fun! Dictatorship is exhausting anyway :tongue:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 6:56 pm 

Arweb, we certainly don't hate you! You gave us this forum after all, and while we may have been a bit frustrated, we're certainly glad to see you here helping us trundle along [as dear Sida put it so wonderfully]. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 2:24 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think that diversity and skill don't have to be mutually exclusive. We've got people who've been here ages, know their stuff, AND come from everywhere. HOW LUCKY ARE WE.

Also, I think that listening to the High And Mighty Webmiss might be a wise idea. You can't have a government without a set of parameters.

WE NEED A CONSTITUTION *_*

And all will turn to silver glass...

By Goldstrike

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 2:42 am 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

So, I agree so far with what people have said about having the mods pick the new mods. It's fair, and will cause minimal upset among people. :)

Also, Arweb makes some good points (of course--she's Arweb). I personally don't feel like we need to change any of the Big Rules, since they've worked without incident so far. And you know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And of course, I don't feel like any of us were thinking about dropping any of the current active mods. They are the mods for a reason, after all. :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 5:41 am 

Tar-Vanimelde wrote:
So, I agree so far with what people have said about having the mods pick the new mods. It's fair, and will cause minimal upset among people. :)

Also, Arweb makes some good points (of course--she's Arweb). I personally don't feel like we need to change any of the Big Rules, since they've worked without incident so far. And you know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And of course, I don't feel like any of us were thinking about dropping any of the current active mods. They are the mods for a reason, after all. :)

I agree with all Tar said. :)

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 9:47 am 

I'm with Tar as well. As far as rules go, they seem to have worked out. I know we've mentioned adding that you can state politics as well as religion, so far we haven't figured that out completely. As for upping the age on here, it seems most LotR fans are more mature than the real world. :P And I highly doubt we're going to get crazed Martin Freeman fangirls who care about nothing else. ;)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 12:52 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I pretty much agree with Tar as well. Any rules that need amending possibly, are things like perhaps how big your signature can be.

I'm not really one for adding a more mature board, and that's pretty much all I have got to say about that.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 3:49 pm 

Johnny's Fan wrote:
I pretty much agree with Tar as well. Any rules that need amending possibly, are things like perhaps how big your signature can be.

I'm not really one for adding a more mature board, and that's pretty much all I have got to say about that.

Yeah I'd agree with this too, that the only type of rules that should be changed are these kind of superficial rules, at least for the moment. I think that while it might be fun to talk about politics/ religions, its definitly not a good time to change this rule when we're having new management etc. I wouldn't want everyone to go to all this trouble and then have the forum fall appart horribly in dissagrements and arguments when everyone's just getting used to it.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next