Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 9:52 am 

^That font thing is what worries me. But, I suppose as long as we keep the shades of the layouts similar, it shouldn't matter too much. So if we're, say, going the yellow/brown route, we'd have a darker brown as the background with lighter colors as the main font. That way people writing in white could be seen in both places, etc.

Shall we come up with some sample designs for people to take a look at?

Altariel Frodo wrote:
I am rather familiar with HTML, CSS, and a bit with JavaScript though. So if any revisions to the actual site were needed, I'd be more than willing to help. I am basically majoring in this sort of thing at my University, and I have to build a few websites from scratch every semester, so it would in fact be right in my line of work.

I'm much the same. The forum coding is foreign to me. If you'd like to stroll along to the news thread though, we could definitely use you to help organize and clean up the main site. ;)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 11:46 am 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I'm down with the dark brown background as well - but keep in mind that the colours of the forum should probably not be decided on based on members who want to post in different colours.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 12:44 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

We have to make some decisions regarding this layout and if there is a "choice". When Arwen made a layout, she had a poll of which colour (the last winner was blue, lol) and then she made it and put it up. I don't think we need to let people see colours - there is not one graphics maker on here I wouldn't trust to select the correct colours to use once a parent colour has been found, i.e green, yellow etc.

I know we had my thread, but I think a poll would be good just to re-confirm what colour people would like.

Also, as had been discussed, it might be better for now, to concentrate on getting the main layout/site coded etc rather than the other forum skins. I think some things should be top priority, and then when things have calmed down, the other forum skins could be added.

As for the text... if I'm using colour font on the new forum layout, and other people are choosing not to, and my font doesn't work with theirs. Well, I'm not changing my font to suit a layout I'm not using. ;)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 3:22 pm 

I think a priority list might be necessary when it looks like most of the work will fall on the shoulders of just a handful of people - you guys who have already posted here. We might need to focus on one thing at a time.
One question though... am I misunderstanding something... aren't we going to change the main page and the forum layout at the same time - so they match?

Anyway, I'd say go ahead and create a poll so people can vote on the main colour... how do you all decide among yourselves who gets to do the layout and what it will look like? I still like the idea with Arwen/Hobbits. :teehee:

Oh, and by the way, here's the list of people who signed up in this thread:

Lothy - Layout/coding
Nurr - Layout/coding
Eruraina - coding
SilverRose - Graphics
Haldir of Lórien - Layout/coding
Ammy - Layout/coding
Pandora - Graphics/coding
JF - Layout/coding
Altariel Frodo - Layout/coding

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 3:41 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Yep, the idea is to have the main site and the forum both with a new look that matches. Any other forum skins, if it happens that there is more than one eventually, will be the ones that don't match the main site.

I think that ultimately, there will be people in multiple groups, as I'm guessing time as well as skill is also having an impact on the amount of people joining up for things.

And also if we break these groups down, there are even more groups. For example:

Content Group

- Writing (biographies, updating any written information inc history of AU etc)
- Graphics (removing old graphics and adding new)
- Gallery (arranging screencaps, adding new images)
- Fan art (removing old stuff and preparing for new)
- Humour (removing old humour and searching for new)
- Hints & Tips (adding new stuff that caters for different program users)
- General tidying (creating new sections for the Hobbit, possibly for games and anything else we think there should be)

So already for content alone, you're going to need some people who may or may not already be involved with the layout and the coding of the site. As well as writers, people who can write tuts on HTMl, CSS etc. And people who can add to the pages whatever biographies etc needs to be added if the writer a) can't code or b) didn't want to be in the coding group.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 4:14 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

JF, you're still making it sound like keeping this skin as well as making a new one would be extra work. I mean, the idea is to make a new skin for the forum (that would go hand in hand with the updated site) so that amount of work is going to be done anyway - and instead of taking out the code for this skin and replacing it with a new code for the new skin, you just create a new skin and leave this one be.

I've worked on several forum admin control panels and the option of adding a second skin is usually right where you edit your first skin. So we're just talking a click of a button here. I'm not saying that we're going to make tons of new skins now. Just make the one you were planning on making anyway, but pleaasse just leave this one intact somewhere, at least in a backup file so that the code isn't lost.

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 4:26 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I don't think I am really. I am just agreeing with what I think Ea(?) said that it could be done at a later date. That was all. If we have a list of 100 things needed to make AU better, then wouldn't we agree (no matter how easy), that different forum skins are not in the Top Ten?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 4:32 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

But I'm not talking about 'different skins'. I'm just talking about keeping this one somewhere, if not as a second option on the forum straight away, at least keep the code somewhere for later use. Or else it will be lost and getting this skin back later would be impossible if the code has been replaced with a new skin.

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 6:02 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

All Eru is really saying is 'please don't get rid of this skin' which is really a very reasonable request. When you edit the skin, just put the new one as default (which means newcomers who come to the main site and decide to check out the forum will see matching skins, as will everyone else unless you specifically choose otherwise ) and leave the blue skin as a second option.

Really, it's less work than doing it later; because this way you don't have to get someone to make a second optional skin sometime in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 7:25 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I know that, but if you read back a few pages, there were also posts concerning entirely new forum skins (or that is the way I read it anyway) as well as keeping the code for this one safe somewhere. Who knows, there may even be the super old skins around as well.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 9:47 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Minuialwen wrote:
All Eru is really saying is 'please don't get rid of this skin' which is really a very reasonable request. When you edit the skin, just put the new one as default (which means newcomers who come to the main site and decide to check out the forum will see matching skins, as will everyone else unless you specifically choose otherwise ) and leave the blue skin as a second option.

Really, it's less work than doing it later; because this way you don't have to get someone to make a second optional skin sometime in the future.

Yes! Exactly! Thanks for explaining it better than I could. That's exactly it, and yes it would be less work doing now rather than later.

Johnny's Fan wrote:
I know that, but if you read back a few pages, there were also posts concerning entirely new forum skins (or that is the way I read it anyway) as well as keeping the code for this one safe somewhere. Who knows, there may even be the super old skins around as well.

Yes I suggested several new forum skins. But that's just it, it was only a suggestion. I am, however, asking to keep this one safe - either as a second optional skin or just in a backup file somewhere. And if Arweb has the codes for all her previous skins, those could always be added on later as a third, fourth or fifth skin option. That way, we would really only have to make the one new skin we were planning on anyway and have a whole arsenal of old skins available as options. If we're going to be updating the forum and making it the best we possibly can, we might as well go full out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 10:35 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

^ I like that idea. I'd definitely like to see a whole new skin, but having one other or several others to choose from would be great.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2011, 10:49 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

The idea is kind of growing on me, too...

But I'm not sure how the coding and such works for the site AU forum is hosted on. I know on Proboards that what is being suggested is really easy to do. I've done multiple skins for a proboards before(but I will admit that that was several years ago, and I've gotten very rusty with the coding). I understand how the process would work, and it really wouldn't be that hard...

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2011, 2:45 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I have a question for the coding people. :yes:

When you type "Arwen Undomiel" into google, why is the site the first thing on the page, rather than say, the Wiki page for Arwen? Or the character bio from IMDB? Is it just because AU is in the title, or because of the coding, or do you have to pay for that distinction?

What I really want to know is, is there anything that can be done so when we do have Hobbit content and AU has been revamped, if someone types in "The Hobbit" or "Hobbit movie", AU will appear somewhere on the first page of links?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2011, 3:57 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Johnny's Fan wrote:
I have a question for the coding people. :yes:

When you type "Arwen Undomiel" into google, why is the site the first thing on the page, rather than say, the Wiki page for Arwen? Or the character bio from IMDB? Is it just because AU is in the title, or because of the coding, or do you have to pay for that distinction?

Title and traffic.

Johnny's Fan wrote:

What I really want to know is, is there anything that can be done so when we do have Hobbit content and AU has been revamped, if someone types in "The Hobbit" or "Hobbit movie", AU will appear somewhere on the first page of links?

No, which is why when we type in "LotR" or "Lord of the Rings", AU is nowhere to be found.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2011, 12:14 pm 

Questions:

Re: Coding
How many people here know forum coding? (I know I have no clue.) For those who do know, how different is it from something like site coding?

How many people know site coding? Are you willing to try to learn forum coding?

For both groups: Can we get a team together and figure out who is going to work on this, and what they're going to work on?

Re: Layout
Who is going to be part of the layout team? It can obviously be both graphic makers and non-graphic makers.

I put up a poll here. Now let's discuss how we're going to do the layout once we get the color choice.

Are we going to have the interested people each submit a quick sketch of a layout, and then have the layout team decide which one to go with?

Or are we going to either work as a group on one layout or nominate one person to make it?

Skins: Seem to be no problem to me (now that it's been explained. :P) We can make the layouts like normal, and just keep this as an option.

Re: The group
Anyone care to throw their name in for leader of the this group? We'll need someone to be in charge to keep this running smoothly. Most likely this person will have access to the actual code, so they'll be putting in the new code. For this reason I suggest someone who has at least basic coding knowledge, so that they can put things in the right places.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 29  Next