Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: A-U Revival: layout & coding
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 2:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Coding Team issues to be addressed shortly, but just FYI everyone: the new layout is up.

CELEBRATION TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:boing:

What I need from people right now:

- Somebody with the password for the tag needs to change the colors. I do not have access to said tag and do not know who does :-P

- The Humor section (as well as several other pages) is now inaccessible, seeing as it's not on the navbar anymore. Right now the Fun section just says COMING SOON - this needs links to the sub-pages.

- Likewise, The Hobbit page just says COMING SOON. Needs content.

- The Previous Layouts page needs to be updated with this new layout. Basically, if someone can take a screenshot of it, size it as the other screenshots are sized, and write a brief description of who did what and all the fonts and such, that would be nifty. I dubbed this layout 5.0 since I think we were all in the mood for a new era, and since it's the first collaborative effort and we're changing things up a bit.

- Look through pages and see if anything is still blue after you refresh the page. The only thing I'm having trouble with is the counter, which I started 8.5 years ago, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what e-mail address I used for my Bravenet login so I can update the counter color >.<

Congrats everyone! This wouldn't have happened without you!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 2:31 pm 

Do we have any idea what sort of content we're looking for for The Hobbit section? Bios? What else? [JF: Are we going to have a gallery for Hobbit pics so that we can keep the LotR gallery in a separate page? How is that going to work?] I'd love to help get things started on gathering non-image content.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 2:41 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

*dies*

Ah, that looks gorgeous. The navabar so makes the layout.

@ Arwen - Thanks, I just wanted to reiterate that although I am one of the "coders" I see more of myself a minion than an actual "coder". Minions are cool by the way, I've seen Despicable Me. :yes:

@ Tel - It's OK. We're happy to have you back on board so we can get some kind of plan set up and decide who is doing what or who is willing to just help whenever others need it, rather than having a specific job or whatever.

@ Larael - The Hobbit section will have the bios for the cast and crew (I know we haven't decided yet about what to do with the crossover bios from LOTR, but my feeling is they should be in both sections as if one person only checks the Hobbit bios and not LOTR, they would wonder why Sir Ian wasn't in the Hobbit, if you know what I mean), and it will also have a Hobbit gallery. I think there should also be pages made ready for videos when trailers styart appearing (although if PJ continues having video blogs maybe we need one already?) and then of course there will be graphics pages to come. But for now, I think all we'll have is bios and the gallery until more stuff comes to light.

EDIT: By the way Larael, thanks for adding the info about the pictures. Nurr PM'd me the other day about them, and I totally forgot to add the news. (*ish ashamed*). I'll add them to the gallery and then you can link to our photobucket account if you want. :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 2:58 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Wow I'm gone for a week and look what happened. It looks amazing guys, well done.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 3:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

w00000000000t! So, does anyone besides Nicole have login info for the tag? Just wondering...she kind of disappeared on us :erm:

@Lar - Personally, I was expecting the Hobbit section to be a collection of information - full cast lists with thumbnail pictures, even if we don't have bios for everyone yet, trivia (48 FPS!), links to cool stuff (like PJ's epic facebook video with the shriveled arm), and of course any pictures that have surfaced. It would be nice to move them from the Photobucket album to an "official" A-U album when possible. I think it's just important to have it as a section that somebody who isn't in the know whatsoever about production can look at, browse through, and leave with a good idea of where Hobbit-y things are at...without having to read all the News items on the main page. And maybe there should be info for the trilogy movie fans who don't know the story behind The Hobbit and how it's connected to LotR...there have got to be some of them out there...

@JF - You know, I was just posting my first main site news item in ages to talk about the new layout, and a second after I submitted it, I saw that you had beaten me by about 30 seconds with the announcement :-P So I felt silly and deleted mine. Alas.

@Tel - We'd be glad to have you back on board with your technical expertise if you have time :) I don't know what the issues with the Coding Team were, but we should try to talk it out if anything is still messy.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 3:16 pm 

^I just PM'd her for the information. So hopefully we'll get that.

BEAUtiful layout! Thanks for getting it up. I'm sorry I haven't been doing much lately. :confused: I've been trying to do small bits of coding, but I'll still be out of state with limited computer time for another few weeks.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 3:39 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

@Arweb - I don't know how you changed the layout so quickly. It is you who is truly the webmistress of this website.

@All - If you ever need something done, let me know. I know that a screenshot needs to happen and a bio written, but I have no idea what has all gone into this new layout.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 3:46 pm 

*rushes in*

Woohoooo... looks AWESOME!!! I LOVE it... I'm gonna be a member of this epic site forever and ever even if the layout NEVER changes again! *nods*

Umm.. so I was sure Nicole had posted the Cbox info and I trawled through the coding threads to find it.. but all I could find was this: http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/vie ... 1#p1132851
Also, here's the code but I guess it does't bring us any closer except if we've got someone to hack Nicole's e-mail, muahahaha
http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/vie ... 8#p1133058

*rushes out*

PS. Hola Telp... Do stay, we've got cookies. Your help is much appreciated and I'm sure we'll smooth out issues among the coders and start anew. :)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 3:49 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Sorry about that Arwen. I was just so excited I wanted to add the news asap. :duh:

I want to get the Hobbit gallery done by the end of next week - there is not a ton of pictures floating around so it shouldn't be too hard, although it will be fun collecting good cast photos and adding those as well.

As I said, I think we should have a page for vidoes, interviews etc that we find, anything relating to the Hobbit. PJ's blog, Elijah being interviewed about his upcoming cameo, stuff like that. A video page is only going to get bigger and bigger as the weeks pass.

We also need to decide whether under Hobbit also comes "book", because there is so much that we could have in the book section. Trvia, facts etc. And we could do the same also for LOTR if we like how the Hobbit section looks.

EDIT: In fact, I'm going to start getting the gallery sorted tonight. :yes:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 4:01 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
@Arweb - I don't know how you changed the layout so quickly. It is you who is truly the webmistress of this website.

Well, the image header/navigation is a php include file...I just have the site set up so that an htaccess file processes all html files as php files, so I didn't have to change all the extensions when I started using includes years ago. So it was just a matter of changing the includes file and the stylesheet...and cleaning up badly-coded bits of blue in a few places :teehee:

Quote:
Sorry about that Arwen. I was just so excited I wanted to add the news asap.

No, not at all! (There is nothing to forgive... :-P) I just hadn't seen an announcement yet and figured I'd be all on top of things and post the update. And then I hit submit and lol'd. It's all good.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 5:22 pm 

By the way.. in case I sounded like sour milk...

@Arweb: You've gotta stop hitting yourself on the head with your long absence. Those threads were started out of frustration and love for the site. No one really thought of going after you with pitchforks and torches... (not anymore at least! :teehee:) And those threads also helped moving things to the point where we could actually start talking about a Revival. Fear not, thou hast redemeeth thyself many times now! :hug:

@Gimli and Nurr: You have done so much for the site too.. you did say in the beginning that you would do the less.. hardcore coding but you seem to be doing a lot behind the scenes. :P

@Telp: Seriously, it's great to have you back. I'm sure no one hold grudges against anyone. We all have lives and sometimes it gets in the way most un-conveniently. Perhaps stating your availability as soon as you know whether you'll have your computer after Tuesday.. and jump in whenever you see a job that you want to take on. That would be a great help. :)

I wish I could help out with coding.. seriously, I do.. Because I always end up being the one pouncing on eveyone else to move along.. But you're all doing great.. and we shouldn't forget to celebrate the steps we do make.. LIKE THE AWESOME HEADER!! *CHEER* because seriously, we shouldn't forget that we're all doing this for fun. :laughbounce:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 6:06 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Fun? What be that word fun? Me no understand fun. Me understand evil. Coding = evil.

Oh, gosh yes. Don't even remind me of that old "get the pitchforks out but not really" thread. *ish embarassed*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 7:43 pm 

This is fantastic. [I don't think I even said how beautiful I think the new layout is in my previous post! Well, it is! :) ] Is there anything I can do specifically right now in terms of Hobbit content? JF is compiling pictures, we know where to get the videos . . . I can't do anything in terms of putting up general information because I'm assuming the coders + minions will do that. [Unless they need someone to compile the info first.] I'm also reluctant to start on the bios, because I'm not sure how to model them off the current LotR bios which are still in disarray. I mean, JF and I came up with general system as we were going through them for editing purposes, and I can use that . . . ideas?

EDIT: JF, I figured you were busy! It's no problem. I've been a terrible news poster so far, so I felt like I had to do something. I'll link to the account asap.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 11:51 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I kinda liked the way we were thinking of doing the bios. There's not much wrong with the way the current ones are except that some of the info isn't needed (weight, etc) and is obviously out of date, the main problem is the size of the picture and how we deal with that by adding a smaller image will then impact how the page will be displayed. I think if we get the main stats (name, etc) to be smaller, which it will be now we have removed some of the info, we can get smaller images that will sit right next to the top information, but it will look neater and less huge.

I don't know if I explained that very well at all. :lol: Perhaps if I can get a sample bio done, then I can show everyone what I mean. :teehee:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 12:42 am 

That would be most helpful. :) I think I'm just having trouble envisioning it, although I do agree that the layout we came up with should theoretically work well and still give enough information.

EDIT: Also, Arweb mentioned something about perhaps a brief explanation of The Hobbit to those who don't know the story. A summary? Is that what we're looking for - or maybe an introduction?

PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 12:48 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I will do that asap. For a minute than I couldn't even remember which bios I was doing, so much has been happening. (admittedly, I have just gonked myself by playing the same stupid game on miniclip for over an hour so my brain is mush right now... never sign up for miniclip)...

Yep, Arwen mentioned that. I guess a lot of people won't know what to expect from the Hobbit, so it would be an idea to give them a brief outline of the story without giving too much away. It would be nice to think if they came away from the cinema a bit confused about which Dwarf was which and who was who, they could maybe go their for a simple run through.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next