Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

What color(s) should the new layout be?
Yellow 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Green 61%  61%  [ 30 ]
Red 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
Orange 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Purple 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Brown 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 49
 Post subject: Re: New AU Layout
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 3:10 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I love it. I'm wondering if maybe we could make our usernames (on the left (<-) a different colour though, instead of the same colour as the rest of the text? Just either a brighter or darker colour, something that stands out differently from the rest of the writing.

The buttons are so pretty! And I definitely need to make myself a greener banner now... hehe.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 3:23 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Haha, yes, my sig/avvie set was meant to match the old layout. It looks terrible with the green, doesn't it? :teehee: I need a catch-all set if we're going to have multiple skins... :lol:

I might prefer a little less yellowy a green, maybe a little lighter and spring-ier, but I do love how it looks currently. Except for my graphics not matching whatsoever :-P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 3:35 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

WHOA! It's green! Very shiny and pretty! Good job, Eru :) But I do agree that something slightly less yellow-y might look better.

Also, this is going to take some getting used to. But I like it. Change is good :D

EDIT: Arwen, would it be a good idea to post in the Announcement section explaining to people that this can be done and how to do it? Because obviously not everyone will be looking here for it. You've probably already thought of that, but I figured I should mention it just in case :)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 3:39 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I agree with the others about the colour (the reply box colour is perhaps a nice shade to use for the forum), I find this green a little dark. Like the blue colour but not blue... obviously. But it might be too soon to tell yet. :P

The buttons are gorgeous and really easy to read.

EDIT: @ Eru - whatever you did with the text looks really great on the header. Is that something you tried for the site header, because I think maybe we should look at that example again, as it looks so great with the green of the forum.

EDIT EDIT: Should I add this to the site news yet? When I do, I will add instuctions on how to use it. Also, when guests view the forum, what colour will they see? They should be able to view the green I think.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 3:49 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I actually think the darker of the greens used on the post backgrounds is really pretty. But then I like dark greens better than light greens.

Also, I logged out and checked - guests get the blue background.

And in my opinion, go ahead and add it to site news. It's not exactly something that needs to be kept secret ;) The main site background needs to follow as soon as possible, though.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 3:58 pm 
Ent
Ent

I really like the new skin just the way it is. These shades of darker green have always been my preferred green so I love it! I feel like I just walked out of an ice cave into a lush tropical rain forest! Especially with everyone's different colors in their signature graphics. :D

Really nice job, Erulissë! Perhaps the default forum theme should be changed to this one. I also think the buttons are very pretty!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 4:01 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Guests don't have a user control panel and therefore can't select which forum skin they'd like to use. Therefore the blue skin, which is still the default, is what they'll see. Personally I think we should wait until everyone's had a chance to give input on the new skin and we get it perfect until we make it the new default. But I can post a forum announcement and let people know that they can go for a test spin :)

Have we come to any conclusions about whether we want to give registered users the options of choosing from multiple skins, or whether we want to keep it to a single one?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 4:08 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Well, in my opinion, now we've got this new one, I don't think many people will want to keep the blue one with the winter-y header. So if we were to give multiple options, it would have to be different color schemes of this particular one, maybe ones that pick up different colors from the header. But really I don't think we need more than one.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 4:13 pm 

But, it isn't hard to keep old skins, is it? I see no reason why we can't just keep the old one. Some people did mention that they liked the blue, and if it isn't a problem to keep it around, they should be able to have that option.

You just have this one as the default, and there you go.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 4:19 pm 

I agree that the green one ought to be set as a default once it's all finished so we get some ... I dunno.. some sort of consistancy-ish.... :)

However, I don't have a strong opinion on whether or not people should be able to choose from multiple skins. I'm not the skin-changing type anyway :teehee: but if people want to use another skin than the default layout, I don't mind. They'd just have to live with the minor nuisance of peoples graphics possibly not matching their chosen skin.. but that's about the worst that could happen as I see it. :P

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Last edited by on May 2nd, 2011, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 4:31 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Well I've already debated this in the past, and as long as the green is default (so our guests can see we are out of winter) then having the blue as an option shouldn't be a problem. As long as it means we have TWO skins at the moment, and all of a sudden there are not more skins to pick and choose from. Because we should really only add to the skin collection when we get a new layout. (i.e when we change this one, people can choose not to change etc). And it is nice to think we are mainly on the same skin colour. :P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 4:36 pm 
Ent
Ent

^I agree. I think keeping the blue is a good idea and new skins should correspond with the main site's layouts.

And personally, the matching between members' graphics and the forum skin itself does not bother me at all, unless something looks absolutely horrendous and atrocious against the other. :P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 4:38 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

It will be the text that clashes more than anything. And as I am the last of the "must have text that matches sig", that shouldn't be a problem. :P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 4:40 pm 
Ent
Ent

Me, too. ^^

Ooh, I forgot, is there any way to make links within posts stand out more? I know they can be easy to spot when people post the whole HTTP address but when BBcode is used, it is a little hard to tell what is link or text.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 5:34 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

^Am I being a muppet by saying change the font size/make it bold? That's always a good way of making things stand out, links or not.

Don't think I've actually posted in regards to the revival yet :blush: Better change that.

It's so... green :blink:

That's helpful, isn't it? :P

Proper reply; It's absolutely gorgeous with the header/buttons, and you've done an awesome job on it, but I agree with those who think it's a bit too dark. I like this bit [the reply box] and I do like the rest of it [after a brief moment of :-o ] but some of the green is fairly dark for a layout that's meant to be spring-like.

I do like the default link colour though, if that's relevant. Maybe if this green is staying the default text colour could be lighter though? I find it a bit difficult to read, but that could just be me.

edit: aww, my lightblue text colour clashes :( that's going to take some experimenting now to find something that fits :P

double edit: it's so weird seeing certain people's own default text colour [not the right way to put it, but I couldn't think of another way :teehee: ] on the green. Same colour, but it looks so different :blink:

Last edited by *Ennostiel* on May 2nd, 2011, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 5:48 pm 
Ent
Ent

*Ennostiel* wrote:
^Am I being a muppet by saying change the font size/make it bold? That's always a good way of making things stand out, links or not.
It is (and I have done that here :happy:), but it would be nice if it could just be the link default and we wouldn't have to bold and enlarge the font every time for links. ;)

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next