Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

What color(s) should the new layout be?
Yellow 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Green 61%  61%  [ 30 ]
Red 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
Orange 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Purple 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Brown 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 49
 Post subject: Re: New AU Layout
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 5:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

^ ahh, sorry, the way I read it was as if it was just a general query :duh: Should have paid more attention to where it was posted :eyeroll: Ditto that, links standing out more by default would be good. :yes: Also, the colours are growing on me. I'll come back tomorrow to look at it again.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 7:35 pm 
Elf
Elf

I love the new forum skin!

Is going to take me a while to get used to it but it is amazing. Love the banner especially :D

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 7:38 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Yay I really appreciate all your comments, guys!

I know some of you want a lighter green color but from all the experimenting I did, a darker green is definitely more easier on the eyes. I have no problem making a second light green skin though if people want that option. The reason I chose this particular dark shade of slightly yellowy green is because of JF's header. I took the colors straight from there. That forest is all dark green and yellowy. A light shade of green (like the one in the Quick Reply box JF mentioned) would look very strange against such a dark header.

Eä - the header is the exact same size as the previous blue one. I kept the same dimensions.

JF - I did some more experimenting with text effects and this came out so I could try and do the same for the main site header?

Haldir mentioned having the usernames pop out a bit more by either making the font color lighter or darker - is this something everyone wants? I'm fine with either.

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 7:40 pm 
Elf
Elf

I think having user names in a different colour would be good. I think a darker colour would be better...

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 7:42 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I shall head over right now and tweak things around to see what comes out. :)

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 7:54 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Well I don't know about other people, but after having spent time on AU with this colour green, I'm perfectly happy with it now. I love the colour of the text, as it compliments it perfectly. Is there another option for the background instead of black? I'm thinking perhaps if people still think the green is too dark, a different background colour might actually make it seem lighter. If that makes sense. :P

I actually like the colour of the usernames, but if you want to try something else just to see, that might be good.

Yes, I really like the text you did, so if you could try it for the header so we can see what it looks like. :-)[/color]

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 7:58 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

It's definitely grown on me too. I think it was just the big change from blue that made it seem weird :)
As for username color, I think a darker would make it less readable against the dark green backgrounds. Personally I think it looks just fine.

I would suggest changing the background from black to a green that's so dark it looks black, it would flow better and not look quite as harsh against the green.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 8:04 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

We've always had a black background on A-U (or at least for as long as I've been a member) regardless of what color skin we've had in the past, so I just figured we'd continue with that. I prefer it myself, but if people want a darker shade of green, I could try that.

I added an underline to the username to make it stand out more. Bad idea or a keeper? I'm still trying to figure out how to make the links in posts stand out more without affecting all the topic title links and stuff. CSS can be tricky, haha.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 8:07 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Not sure about the underline. Right now it looks kinda weird, but it could just be one of those things that need to grow on me.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 8:09 pm 
Elf
Elf

Wow everything looks so different!

It's gorgeous though - deep foresty green is up there on my favorite colors list, so of course I love this. XD The only real problem is that my signature clashes now, hahah. But then I saw the GORGEOUS buttons and forgot all about that. Great job!

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 8:12 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Anameleth - I'm not sure about it either (though several other forums I'm on have this) but I tried different colors on the font and it didn't look good at all, but since Haldir mentioned that the usernames should stand out a bit more from the rest, I figured this was a good middle-ground to try.

But as with everything else, I'm just trying out things here. Not set in stone. :)

Esteleth - Aw cheers! And yeah, I think we're all going to need new signatures now. :teehee:

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 8:21 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be all that many other ways of making them stand out. I suppose just leaving it and see what people have to say about it is the best option :P

My sig, luckily, doesn't look too shabby with the new colors. But I'll probably be changing anyway :P

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 8:32 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Hahah, I've been wondering that all this "underline" talk is about, so I checked with FF and I can see what you guys are seeing. On IE it's the same as ever. Fwee. :teehee:

I actually think the usernames stansd out no less than when they did with the blue, but other than making the text way bigger (which might look odd) I'm not sure how else to make the usenames more apparent (although personally I think they look fine). The underlining does look a bit odd, but as I guess I won't see it, it doesn't really matter about me.

Also, I don't know if anyone was fiddling with the forum about 4-5 days ago (I meant to mention it) but one of the main problems with using IE, if you remember, was that posts were as wide as people's sigs. That's all gone now, so thanks for fixing that. :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 8:36 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I didn't change anything as far as I know so maybe that was Arwen. Or maybe IE fixed some glitches.

I think the underlining looks weird too, but I'll see how many people are in favor of it before removing it.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 8:37 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I think the underline looks better, but it's up to everyone of course!

Also - did you just make the main green on the forum darker Eru/Arweb? It seems darker than when I was looking at the forum earlier. Not sure, but either way, I love the way it looks right now!! Much easier on the eyes. This is beautiful!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 8:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I don't THINK I did anything, JF... :erm: MAGICKS. Personally I prefer the usernames un-underlined, but it's not a deal-killer for me. Fine either way.

Dear lord I need a new set of graphics. Could my current set look any worse against the green? :duh:

(I didn't do anything to the main green, so it must be Eru :) Or magicks.)

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next