Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Access: server, main site updates, forum skins, mods, etc.
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 4:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Sorry for starting yet another revival thread, guys, but while a lot of the revival stuff is going really, really well, we still need to take care of actual access to things, and this is one of the main things I need to be involved in. Hopefully once people have access to stuff, I won't need to be involved as much, but we need to get this sorted! What has to happen is that we put together a list of who needs to be where with what permissions, etc. etc.

For example:

Even though a bunch of people are working on checking the pages on the main site, we still need people who can make those changes. Who had volunteered for server access? Was it Haldir and Nurrantiel? I can't remember, sorry :-P Let me know. And I need to talk to the volunteers and go over stuff with them.

Or main site updates. We were saying a couple days ago that we should start posting Hobbit news as well as site news, and I said that I'm completely fine with a bunch of people having access to write news stories, but I still need to know who wants to be on the team. As I said: as long as you have reasonable English skills and can work with other news team people, I'd love to have you.

Or forum skins. I can't think of anyone besides Eru who volunteered for taking care of skinning the forum in the future, but if anyone wants to help her out, now's the time to let everyone know. With the spiffy new forum, I can give forum skinners selective access to the part of the admin panel that lets them modify files, and access to the part of the server where they can upload new template files.

As to new moderators, this isn't going to be a volunteer basis job, but I'm in talks with some of the old moderators about picking some new people :)

Now, who's with me? FOR FRODO!!! :kick:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Access: server, main site updates, forum skins, mods, et
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 9:54 pm 

I'll be on the news team, Arwen. :) I've got stuff.co.nz and IMDb on my bookmarks bar, signed up for the Weta news emailing list, and downloaded the IMDb news app for my iPod. I'm ready. :)

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 10:44 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Hey Arwen! I believe it was Anameleth and I that volunteered for the main overseeing/changes portion. :) And I am also on the coding team.

Last edited by Aredhel Ar-Feiniel on March 23rd, 2011, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 10:49 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I think myself, Nurr were on the coding team and also a couple of others who I hope will show themselves so I don't have to remember. :teehee:

Also I'm happy to help with the news if I'm needed. Especially as when the Hobbit gallery gets online, I'm hoping to be pouncing on new images, so the news team will need to be alerted when there are new pictures to be seen.

@ Larael - I need to get that Weta mailing list. :P

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 10:53 pm 

Yeah, I'm helping with coding and with basic stuff on the main site.

Wow Lar! That is the definition of ready. :P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 11:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Okay, so Haldir and Ana are the ones who will have access, and the other coders (like JF and Nurr) will help modify files but won't be actually uploading them? Is this how we're working it?

JF, Lar, and anyone else who will be on the news team - please sign up as commenters for the news system on the main site, or if you have already, let me know :) And I shall swap you out from commenter to journalist status, PM you a note about How Stuff Works, and you can post away! :-D I'm so excited :teehee:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 11:34 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Arwen the webmaster wrote:
I can't think of anyone besides Eru who volunteered for taking care of skinning the forum in the future:

...You mean Erulisse, right?

And, about the coders who will have access to the code... We had that figured out on the Sign Up For Jobs.
Haldir
Gimli
Nurrantiel Mashiara
Elberethsq

And talking with them, Elberethsq and Haldir would do the main changes(like updating the coding and such) while Gimli and Nurr do the nitpick, smaller changes(Like images and links), and when the main spring cleaning is done that all work together to keep the site updated(like, they each take a different section). While anyone else willing (myself, Lareal, and maybe Telpeath who just volunteered to help) will do the *right click view source* to make some updates and changes to send to the coders with access.

It seems like my role has slowly faded away, un needed. But I'm alright with that, but I'll stick around if I'm still wanted/needed. But ignore this paragraph, because I'm sure I'll find a place where I'll be needed to help out. I am doing that monthly or weekly dA fanart feature, am I not? But I'm not yet sure exactly how that'll work out, and this isn't the place to figure that out.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 11:37 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

^ You are definitely going to be supplying us with the fanart as well as being in charge of the feature. :yes:

I'll sign up for commenting now. :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 24th, 2011, 12:39 am 

@ JF - I'll PM you the mailing list info [since I don't have it with me right this second].

@ Eruraina - We need all the help we can get! If you're looking for another niche Himlond is looking for people to help him with communications and sorting through emails. Also, I could use all sorts of help looking through the humour section of the main site.

Signing up for commenting now.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2011, 7:40 am 
Balrog
Balrog

I volunteered to be an overseer with Haldir, but I have to admit I'm not exactly sure what I could do with server access. I don't know the first thing about coding, so the question is - is there any reason for me to have access at all? I'm perfectly happy just keeping track of how far people have come with what they're doing etc...

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 24th, 2011, 10:55 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I volunteered, although I haven't heard much yet, about joining the communications department, but if you need some help with anything else, please suggest something. I can code (as I mentioned in the Jobs section), but I haven't worked with skins in a very long time.

I am really eager to help out in any way I can and do not hesitate to ask me (pm or post right here). This revival will work - guaranteed - with all the wonderful support from people from all around the world.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 24th, 2011, 11:22 am 
Balrog
Balrog

^If you would like to help with searching for broken links I'm fairly sure there's quite a lot left to do with that. I'll look into what's been done already and let you know what remains. It's not a big thing, but it's needed and the more people who help with it the faster we get around to the big stuff :)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 24th, 2011, 12:12 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Telpeath wrote:
I volunteered, although I haven't heard much yet, about joining the communications department, but if you need some help with anything else, please suggest something. I can code (as I mentioned in the Jobs section), but I haven't worked with skins in a very long time.

I am really eager to help out in any way I can and do not hesitate to ask me (pm or post right here). This revival will work - guaranteed - with all the wonderful support from people from all around the world.

:bye2: Where has the hiya smilie gone. :blink:

I need a bit of help please. I started checking all the images and links in the screencap section last night, and I still have over 150 chapters to check. So if maybe you wanted to start on TTT or ROTK and let me know where you're up to etc, I'd really appreciate some help. :-) It's time consuming and boring so watch TV or listen to music or something. It helps to keep you awake. :P
:duel:

Last edited by Johnny's Fan on March 24th, 2011, 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 24th, 2011, 2:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

^ Huh, I don't know where that smilie went...it's listed in the admin panel :lost: Strange.

Okay, JF and Larael, check your inbox - you should be good to go with posting news stories. Anyone else want to join the team?

To get this straight, Elberethsq and Haldir definitely need server access as overseers, whereas JF and Nurr...should also probably have access? Don't need access? Just trying to make sure we're on the same page :-P

I really don't know how you want to work communications. Go talk amongst yourselves :-P You can have different e-mail addresses for different categories, or you can all work off one address, or...meh, I don't know. It's all up to you - I don't want to take control of this!

Ah, and yes, I did mean Erulisse for forum skins :) Sorry Eruraina...apparently Eru is a confusing nickname :teehee:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 24th, 2011, 3:09 pm 

I think JF and I should probably have access. The way I gathered, Elberethsq and Haldir would be doing more of the "big stuff" like a new layout, while JF and I would be doing the "I'm changing this one page's content" stuff.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 24th, 2011, 4:40 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

So the four of us? FTP is also easy peasy for me, and I'm pretty sure it's what you use Arweb, right?

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next