Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 5:35 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I'm sorry but you can't tell me you don't see no likeness whatsoever between your banner and this photo:

:P

You're lucky to not have had the "Orli" stage at all, I'm just happy mine was veeery minor. However, I don't envy you the gay man-stage :P But then, who doesn't love Sir Ian?

If I can get my lazy ass to it, I'll look through the humor section tonight. I definitely found some broken links there yesterday, but I didn't write them down cause I wasn't looking for them just then ;)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 5:41 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Only the hair colour, only the hair. :whistle:

Thing is, I liked Sir Ian before I knew he was gay. :teehee: I still don't honestly know how I would react if I met him. I'd probably cry actually. :P

My mum still hasn't recovered from learning Rock Hudson was gay and that was 30 years ago! No hunky guy has the right to look that good and be gay. No fair. :P

Oh, and I don't know if I ever mentioned this, but I am also checking links in the media section, making sure the fonts/brushes etc are working. I've also checked all the photo credit links on the gallery page -maybe move them to the site credits at some point to tidy things up?

Also Larael, could you PM me a quick look at what you're doing with the bios. Just so I can get a feel for what it looks like etc. It's been a long time since I've written anything like it, and I just want to make sure it will be up to standard. :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 5:47 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Sir Ian attended the gay parade in my city a few years ago. If I'd known I'dve totally gone to see him. Alas, I didn't find out until after. I don't think he'll all that hunky, to be honest, but he is probably the most brilliant actor I know. In every way.

That's great that you do the media section. And yes, we should put all the credits on the same page, it'll make it easier for people to find them if they need them.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 6:03 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Oh, no. I don't find him hunky, Rock Hudson, now he was a hunk. I just find Sir Ian ridiculously charming and I can't think of anyone currently I'd want to meet the most.

Yes, I think we need to discuss certain visual aspects of the main site, and whether we need all the explanations for sections and such things. I also have more image credits to add at some point. It's the little things I need to remember. :P

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 6:36 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

If you make a list of all the little things you can remember right now, and pm it to me, I can add it to my big list of little things we all need to remember ;)

EDIT: So I've been reading stuff in the written humor section, and that place needs some serious going through. There was one thing that was so funny I cried (:bye:) but mostly it's just not very good. As for the humor images, I haven't really looked at them lately, but I'm thinking maybe we could merge the two sections or something. Any ideas?

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: AU Revival: Main Site [Non-Image] Headquarters
PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 12:26 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

So I started work on the bios over the weekend, and I was thinking there were some things we could drop maybe and some things we could add?

I think things like "pets" "eye colour" etc, are a bit childish really, and more often than not will garner "unknown". So I was thinking maybe just "name" "date of birth" "place of birth" and "spouse/partner" would be appropriate perhaps, and any of those categories which are "unknown" can simply not be there in the first place. I can't remember which actor it was that had a lot of "unknowns" and it just looked really untidy. :P

I was thinking maybe under the trivia about each person, there could maybe be a personal quotes section? Just to add a bit more info.

Also, are we still adding other sites that are about that person?

Non-bio talk

I was thinking maybe to beef up the book and film sections, there could be a general trivia page for both. There is tons of trivia for the films that won't be addressed in the actor/crew bios, and it would be something else for the film section and more stuff to read. With the book trivia, again there must be a lot of stuff about how long it took Tolkien to write etc etc.

Also, a list of awards for both book and film might be interesting. I don't know how many awards the books have won, but it would again be something else for the book section.

And a book gallery. The films are well covered, but where are all the different cover images for LOTR over the years? Where are the plates from the books by Alan Lee, John Howe etc?

So, yeah. Just some ideas there. :P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 1:19 pm 

Here's what I came up with concerning the bios, JF:
- I too felt like the weight, eye colour, hair colour, and pets sections seemed a little outdated/juvenile [and most likely impossible to find info on]. Hence, I've been leaving them out of the update.
- I added a category for "Well Known Films" and "Current Projects"
- Also, go to the LotR cast bios and take a look at the difference between Sean Astin's page and Andy Serkis' page. Obviously, not all the pages have been updated with what looks like a new "layout". That's something else that will need to be done when coding comes along.
- Under the Marital Status section I included past relationships, divorces, and kids.
- I made notes of broken website links and searched for some new updated ones.
- Under the Fun Facts section I noted whether that particular actor/actress was signed on for The Hobbit

I definitely like the idea of a personal quotes section, but I think we should work on tidying the current bios and writing up The Hobbit bios before we add those sections on as they will probably require quite a bit of work.

Basically, for these updates I'm simply writing down the section that needs updating and writing down the new information or the old information to be deleted. It's basically step by step instructions for how to rewrite the section.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 2:36 pm 

I definitely like the trivia idea. There's lots of trivia out there for the films, especially, that's fun to read.
Awards - not hard to add in
Book gallery - definitely! Actually, I'd love to see a lot of links or images of their work, not just book covers.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 3:00 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^I agree with all of the above :P

Also, for the books, what about also having Alan Lee's illustrations with the book covers? There are so many beautiful illustrations and they really deserve some recognition, too.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 3:30 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Thanks for the info Larael. Could you maybe PM me one of your bios so I can see if I need to edit mine in anyway? Thanks.

I'll be happy to to do the film trivia! I'm planning on watching the features on the EE's sometime, hopefully within the next few weeks, so as well as taking the trivia that I can find on the internet I will also be taking it from the horses mouth as it were. :teehee: That's when I'll start on the making of sections as well. Not sure what I'll be doing with them just yet, but I've got time to work on it.

The book gallery I think, should definitely include any images used for the books not just the covers so there will be a wide variety of images and artists I should think.

Also, I think the book stuff should be done for now, as the more book stuff we have the better. Somethings that have been suggested however, we need to make a decision on whether they should be part of Phase One (which is what we're doing now) or Phase Two, which is when the layout is up, the stuff we have currently is fixed/updated/revamped with a few new things, and then we add more stuff as and when we find/think of it. This would also be based on what we think is more important to work on. The film trivia, I would love to get stuck in right now, but I feel there are more important things at the moment.

Just thought I'd mention this as we don't want to try and do too much right now, but at the same time we don't want to forget all the great ideas we have been having. :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 10:27 pm 

Sending the info right now, JF. :)

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 4:17 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Location: Look to your left. Now back at this text. Did you see me?

I'm a pretty strong writer and I seem to have an absurd amount of free time if there's anything I can do :) Newbie or not, I like this site and if there's an overhaul being conducted, by golly, I want in on it! I'm also a pretty good a site scouring and I'm generally readily available to send on a world wide web goose chase.

"old soldiers never die, they just fade away."
- general macarthur

graphics by goldstrike
the barracks

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 6:49 pm 

Ok, anyone have any idea where we are links wise? Are there any more pages that need to be looked through for broken links. I'd like to help get that out of the way before I start writing 'Hobbit' cast bios. Also, have we confirmed which sections of the site are going to be moved around, deleted, added, etc.?

@ foot soldier: I'd love to have your help with the 'Hobbit' bio writing when it comes to that. :)

@ ana: I took a look at the humour sections, and I agree, they could definitely be merged for convenience's sake. Cleans things up as well.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 6:52 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I'm actually not sure where we are on broken links. I know JF has done amazing work in the sections involving pictures, but other than that I'm not sure.
I'm planning on pm'ing people tomorrow encouraging them to keep them spirits up and finding out how far along people are, so I'll let you know what I find out then :) I think there's still a way to go though. Since you mentioned the humor section, as far as I can remember no one's said they'll check it. Would you like to do that? :)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 6:55 pm 

Aye, I'd rather get that sorted through before starting work on the 'Hobbit' section entirely. :)

EDIT: After looking at the first page of humourous images I came to the conclusion that what the section really needs is organisation. Once I go through and check links and such I'm going to ask JF about organising the pics like the screencaps/photo gallery section.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 7:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Okey dokey, I'm doing my best to follow all the revival threads (sort of in vain :-P) and I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this (would it be better off in the jobs list?), but have we covered who wants to / should have access to posting updates on the main site? Even just to keep people abreast of what's going on with the revival, or to post news stories about The Hobbit...

Anyway, for anyone who was following this earlier, I went completely postal and claimed that the updates system was built with WordPress. Lies, all lies! It's actually built with CuteNews but is super easy to update. Since I can give people different types of access (such as being able to post new articles and edit one's own articles but not edit anything else), I don't see a reason to cap the number of people who can be "journalists." As long as you have reasonable writing/spelling skills and knowledge of the very basic html tags (bold, italics, and links are really all you need) and have been a member for at least a few months, I'm fine with providing access.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next