Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: AU Revival: Main Site [Non-Image] Headquarters
PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 7:18 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^This is in my opinion as good as any a place to put it ;)

And no, I don't think we covered it. We mentioned that it needed to be decided, but that's about how far we got. We should try and find out how many people are interested in doing it, and then maybe make a list of people who are responsible for a regular update, maybe with the possibility for people to write stuff and talk to one of these "responsibles" about posting it?

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 8:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Cool, cool.....well, I think it's just about that time to start giving out access. Even for the forum, this new software is so spiffy that I can give you really specific access, like managing forum categories or layout skins, and you don't even have to be a moderator or whatnot. All of this should start happening...soon...so maybe it's time to schedule a live chat somewhere sometime.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 8:16 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Yeah - it'd be great if we could wait till I've had the chance to hear back from people about how far along they are with the things they're supposed to do, just so we can figure out what is done and what still remains :)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 8:42 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Regarding broken links:

Ana is correct, I have gone throught every gallery page, checking both images and links on that page. I have my list all written. I haven't checked the screencaptures image wise though, but again I have checked the links.

I've also checked the links on the crew bio pages, not that there are many that is. :P

I would say regarding access for updates/news. I think now with The Hobbit being just around the corner and new stuff/images etc literally surfacing everyday, there needs to be an actual "news" place for The Lord of the Rings/Hobbit stuff, not just a section for site modifications updates.

And to be honest, the first thing visitors should see is the stuff concerning LOTR, not what new stuff is going on with the site.

With that in mind, I think there should be a team of people who will find news, write is as it should be shown on AU, and then the dudes with access can post it. The dudes with access should also be the ones posting the site news, what's going on etc, which may also be passed onto them by people working on the site.

So yeah. That's the way I see it anyway. We really need to show people that Arwen-Undomiel.com has just as good up to date news as TheOneRing.net (which sucks by the way) and Hers De Ringe etc.

@ Larael - I agree. The humour images are quite badly laid out at the moment. It will probably be easier to see how they should be displayed when the bad stuff has gone and we see what we have left. :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 8:56 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I agree there really needs to be NEWS-news rather than just site news...although I don't think you need to get rid of site news altogether. You can always categorize things. Or not :-P Your choice. But you could totally get rid of the intro "About A-U" paragraph on the home page, which is kind of useless, and think about rearranging things since the tag's been broken for ages and might never be unbroken again from how the tag server looks. Maybe you could put site updates or headlines in that space?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 9:03 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^I'm not a very big fan of the tag myself, but I know a lot of people would be very disappointed if we got rid of it. So if there's any way to get it up and running again, I think we should consider other places to put the different news topics first.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 9:06 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Yep, but even the demo board on the tag server's site doesn't work, nor do their tech support links. If anyone wants to find a similar tag-board script that's free or find the funds to pay for one, go for it, but they're also spammer-traps unless you have people on moderating duty 24/7.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 9:09 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

No I'm nbot suggesting we get rid of the site news, visitors being able to see that there are things happening to the site is good as well. I just think the main focus should be film related news, then underneath somewhere you have the site stuff. ;)

I think if we got a new tag, the internet would will throw a party. I've never understood the whole tag thing, or how many random people feel like it was a good place to be, but it seems to have serviced many many people, so getting rid of teh AU tag, is like not eating marshmellows in hot chocolate. WRONG!

But it will depend on like Arwen says, whether we get one or not, if we have to pay, and if there is anything we can do about spam.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 9:12 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^Of course. All I'm saying is for the sake of all the tag-loving AUers out there, we should do our best to find a replacement for the one we've got now ;)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 9:14 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Definitely. It will bring people back to AU again and might encourage more members. :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 9:29 pm 

I wouldn't mind being a news editor or even a writer if I knew what kind of news we're specifically looking for. Obviously anything to do with The Hobbit would be ideal, but considering we're not a major news site like TORN I'm not sure how in-depth we should be. It would feel weird if we simply took news from their site. I guess what I'm asking is a) what sort of news are we looking for and b) where do we look?

EDIT: Also, for the humour section, I'm not really sure what is considered "good" or not? Everything that isn't a broken link or completely ridiculous I really don't see why we shouldn't keep it, even if it is old. It seems like deciding what is or isn't good humour will be left up to one person's discretion [aka me].

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 9:35 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Arwen- I was the one interested in working with the site communication department. How would you go about doing whatever we need to do with that?

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 9:38 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

TORN has a lot of in my opinion, crap news. We're not trying to suck up to New Line and such places, so we don't need to advertise new DVD releases, merchandise etc and try and pass it off as "news".

We are a LOTR site, and as such should keep fans informed regarding anything to do with The Hobbit. There might be a lot of it to report, but I think that is good. And as this isn't a professional site, with tons of paid adverts and sponsers and things, it will make a nice change I think, to have news written by fans for fans. (I know that's what TORN says but after all these years I don't believe that).

Finding news will be easy. TORN doesn't make the news, they find it as well. It's how you write it that makes it your own. They often link to other sites (as does IMDB regularly for stories they report) so you find an article from wherever that has interesting stuff, you write what you want, keeping the facts.

I think any interesting Hobbit news is what we want. Things like "today sheep were seen on the Hobbiton set" are not really ..wowee... but "a 24 foot dragon model was seen outside of Weta Workshop", that's what I'm talking about. :yes: A lot of sites post anything at all, so we can be specific and just have the meaty goodness. :D

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 9:40 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Larael wrote:
Also, for the humour section, I'm not really sure what is considered "good" or not? Everything that isn't a broken link or completely ridiculous I really don't see why we shouldn't keep it, even if it is old. It seems like deciding what is or isn't good humour will be left up to one person's discretion [aka me].

Well, if there's something you're not sure about, pm someone and ask their opinion about it. There were a few things I found absolutely hilarious (like the whacked out Asian subtitles) and then some things I just found downright stupid (like most of the FotR/TTT/RotK condensed stuff). But that's just me, and I know other people often find amusing the things I don't like. So I think it's important to get different opinions on this.
But for now the most important thing is finding the broken links...

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 9:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Gimli wrote:
TORN has a lot of in my opinion, crap news. We're not trying to suck up to New Line and such places, so we don't need to advertise new DVD releases, merchandise etc and try and pass it off as "news".

We are a LOTR site, and as such should keep fans informed regarding anything to do with The Hobbit. There might be a lot of it to report, but I think that is good. And as this isn't a professional site, with tons of paid adverts and sponsers and things, it will make a nice change I think, to have news written by fans for fans. (I know that's what TORN says but after all these years I don't believe that).

Finding news will be easy. TORN doesn't make the news, they find it as well. It's how you write it that makes it your own. They often link to other sites (as does IMDB regularly for stories they report) so you find an article from wherever that has interesting stuff, you write what you want, keeping the facts.

I think any interesting Hobbit news is what we want. Things like "today sheep were seen on the Hobbiton set" are not really ..wowee... but "a 24 foot dragon model was seen outside of Weta Workshop", that's what I'm talking about. :yes: A lot of sites post anything at all, so we can be specific and just have the meaty goodness. :D

I think you are right, Gimli, that TORN does have a lot of (ehem) fluffed content. The question I then have is how do we tell a story that has already been told? How do we make it unique to us, the fans? I think the idea is good and sound but we would need a good number of people "on staff" to find the news. In the real news world, whoever gets the news first gets the views. Although we wont get insider stories, it would be cool if we reported before TORN.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 10:12 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A lot of New Zealand-based news sites are doing a TON of reporting about The Hobbit right now, whether it be Weta activity in Wellington or location scouting or filming reports, so the news team might want to scour those sites like stuff.co.nz. Also, IMDb news is pretty up to date, and if you can follow along in their Hobbit/LotR news sections, you might find some good stuff. Rehashing what TORn posts would probably be bad form, though, I agree. One thing we do have going for us is that a lot of the older fanbase doesn't routinely check ye olde news sites anymore, so if we can draw back a following to the community, A-U may end up being some people's main source for news, regardless of whether we get to it first.

Himlond, I would love to have you help out with communications. I can get you set up with your own A-U e-mail address if you want (maybe it can be something new but communications related, like info @ a-u ? ideas?). And I remember you mentioned possibly going through my old arwen @ a-u account...we'll have to talk more about that since I'm not sure if there will be any sensitive e-mails there, but it's something to look into.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next