Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: A-U Revival: Main Site [Images etc] Headquarters
PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 8:06 pm 

The images are hosted in AU, though they could just as easily be a photobucket account.

I would think that we could just do the video parts, which isn't too complex. You do a section for appendices, then under "FotR" you'd just have the title of each section. I guess if we wanted to put up concept art at some point, it could go under its own category.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 16th, 2011, 2:49 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

OK.... *gets out list*

- have added 121 banners to the LOTR section. Am *hoping* more people will respond to my PM regarding their initial joining up of this scheme to get forum members graphics on AU, as at the moment, those banners are mine and Nurr's. So don't blame us if it looks like we're hogging. :P

- have removed all the text from the graphics pages, and added them to main media page (explanations about hot linking etc) as I think it makes more sense to have info on the main page, not on individual graphics pages. With the exception of the instructions for what to do if you want an 800x600 wallaper etc, on the wallpaper page. Hope it looks alright to you guys, it just made sense to me.

- also removed the banners that used to be on the banners page that Arwen used to have there when she did the claim. It looks neater now and it seems odd having duplicate banners around

- Haldy is working on getting the Cast Banners page to look like the main banners page so it looks the same

- The Non-LOTR banners page needs some work. A) to make it the same as the main banners page (^) and B) to make the categories less, especially in the film section. I think movies that are going to have a lot of new stuff injected into them (HP, Batman etc) should have their own page, stuff like "Ann of Green Gables" that have their own page for like 4 things, should go in the "other" film section. BUT.... I probably won't organise this section until people have submitted Non-LOTR banners and I can see what is popular and what isn't. But we can still make the Non-LOTR section match the main LOTR banners page.

So basically.... I need banners from people who haven't replied to my PM.... shortly will be asking for avatars and wallpapers and non-LOTR stuff as well.

But apart from adding new stuff, I think my work on the media section is done. I have been trying to get some sort of answer regarding the clips and sounds and how we can make that better but I don't think we've agreed on what to do with that yet.

======================

And I've been thinking a lot lately about the gallery. I know Eru mentioned about quite specific categories for them, but as I have been spending a lot of time in the media section, which in some ways is set up quite similiar to the gallery regarding items per page for example I have come to the conclusion there is nothing more ugly than a page on the net, that you click on, and you get there and there is like 2 things. We have a lot of group banners on AU, and I was thinking for a moment about categorizing them. So you'd have Frodo & Sam, Boromir & Frodo, Galadriel & Frodo, Merry & Pippin, Gandalf & Pippin, Legolas & Gimli, Aragorn & Legolas, Aragorn & Arwen, Faramir & Eowyn, Frodo & Gollum, Arwen & Elrond etc.. which for things like Frodo & Sam (quite a lot of them), Aragorn & Arwen (the same) that would be probably a good idea... but then for Legolas & Gimli (2 at the most), Boromir & Frodo (?).

I know that is probably an extreme example as there are dozens of combinations for groups and not necessarily for other categories. But I think as well as looking as this from a "how long is this going to take" point of view, but also from someone visiting AU and just wanting to look through a really good gallery, and they get to a categorized AU locations and instead of things being in 4-5 categories, but a lot of them, and some of them will be very, very bare.

I'm a neat freak, I have to admit. But I'm also a content freak. It's killing me that some banners pages are not worth their wait in salt, but I know what can be fixed.

So as the gallery will sometime be sorted out (I'm off the fanart next) I really need some weighty opinions/ideas anything because I guess the way the gallery is, affects a lot of us on AU from graphics makers to people just looking.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 18th, 2011, 12:26 pm 

I think the galleries are pretty much fine as they are. If we wanted to sort things like location, I think it would make sense to put them all on the same page but under separate headings. That way it would be one click to get to all the locations, but you could browse according to place. (This still doesn't fix the things like "the Argonath" that you don't know where they fit, soo....) I'd say leave them as they are unless we get a good way to organize.

Also, regarding the banners: I noticed that you have the new villain banners under both villains and Theoden.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 18th, 2011, 1:40 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

^ That is absolutely crazy, so thanks for pointing that out. No idea how I managed to do that.

You're probably right. If the only category we're looking at to maybe extend and have sub-categories, is the locations gallery, then I think it will be an idea to just add/delete whatever is needed first and then when everything is uploaded and we can see exactly how many images we have, that would be the time to think about creating sub-categories. It won't be any more work if we leave it for a bit.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 18th, 2011, 3:24 pm 

I had a quick browse through it and it looks fine. :) I have to admit that I never was a frequent visitor in those parts of the site so I don't have much of an opinion regarding organising. But the fact that it's being updated and made pretty makes me happy. :P

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: June 18th, 2011, 3:55 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

^ You mean the gallery or the banners? At the moment nothing has happened with the gallery, but I would expect to be able to start ploughing through it in the next few weeks. :-)

EDIT: So Raina and myself have got the fanart of the fan section sorted now as to what we're looking for etc. I'm not a fan (hah, geddit?) of accepting fanmade graphics on AU mainly because we're going to have enough graphics and also I can't think of a good way of displaying them. BUT... should be looking to have poetry as well? I believe SilverRose was at one time looking to be doing fan videos, but whether that still stands I don't know.

Any poets out there willing to cruise dA/sites to find good, quality stuff?

EDIT EDIT: Also, as I am working on the fanart, could I have some opinions on the other stuff that is housed there. Do we really want photo's of fans anymore, or should be start afresh? Do we want eventually to have photographs perhaps of people's LOTR collections... or should we just concentrate on the artistic fanart instead?

I'm kinda torn on this one. I like the *idea* of perhaps having images of other fans stuff etc, BUT if you look at what's there... there were obviously no rules and guidelines so it looks quite messy with various photos from the same persons collections/etc. And also logistically, it's hard to think of a way to make it look good.

It would perhaps be good for AU to be interactive in this way and if those pages contained images of well loved members/visitors I'd say it was a shame to ditch everything either to start again or just to make space.... BUT let's face it, most of the non-fanart stuff is full of things from people who haven't contributed to the history of AU.. so losing them won't be a total loss.

I know I'm rambling now. But I haven't properly looked at the non-fanart stuf and I'd like some ideas/thoughts from you guys. :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2011, 5:04 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Btws, just as a note, I was on the screencaps section because I needed to find a certain shot and can't remember the translations of the chapter acronyms for the folders on my computer etc. etc......anyway, I was in the TTT section looking at the White Rider chapter, and was very puzzled as to why there were pictures of Faramir. Faramir did not make an appearance in this chapter, as far as I could recall :-P So I looked in the directory and for some reason there were a few thumbnails from the Window on the West chapter in the White Rider directory. Not all of them, just a few, and no full-size versions. I have NO idea how they got there :erm: But just as a heads-up, if anyone with some free time feels like going through the screencaps to make sure that they're all in their proper directory, it might be a good thing.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 6th, 2011, 7:05 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

*pops head in* Hm... a bit dusty? *brushes off the dust* that's a little better.

Now, on to business.
Looks like with the summer ending the revival is slowing down, though the RotR is picking up and it's awesome to see all the comotion around the forum. But, what about the main site?

Especially the Fan section.

I've been working with JF and we're starting to get the Fan Art section under way, in fact it's already seen a face lift with sections partaining to different mediums and bunches of new artwork!

But what's this? A 'coming soon Feature' section? This could be a shout out to JF, but also a call for anyone else willing to help out(*coughcoderscough*) and get it up and going. What it is, is that I will feature 5 peices of art every two weeks in a biweekly feature. Most of the art will be from deviant art. The art is then added to the gallery when the next feature gets put up as well as somehow archiving the features.

JF was helping me get this done, but do to RL it seems to have come to a stand still. So, anyone want to help me out?

What I would love to be able to do is somehow be able to add the features to the site as well as new artwork to the site myself without the need of a coder because I know how precious their time is, and I don't want to have to be pestering them twice a week to get it done. Is there anyway to get it set up so I can do the things mentioned above without a coder? And possibly without having to work with too much coding?(Because I don't want to mess anything up because the coders are doing an awesome job of everything!)

And hows the deal with the screencaps going?(refering to Arweb's post just above mine)

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 15th, 2012, 1:16 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Allow me to say that I now have a new found admiration for Arweb, and I now know the reason why I have been putting off the gallery for quite a while. :notworthy:

Literally my right hand is dead, I've got pains in my head and my eyes are so fogged up right now, Ian McKellen could walk past me in safety. :roll:

My main problem with the gallery is something I didn't expect to have and that is I think I may be trying to do too much. I have found this site with amazing screencaptures of behind the scenes stuff from the blogs PJ has been posting, and even with less than half of it up on AU, there are already 4 pages..... and this is just the first blog.... so after killing myself since Monday trying to get the cast and crew section ready, I feel maybe we can't really have as amazingly full gallery as some sites have... because I don't know many pages that would take, and this is just for video blogs.... and I honestly am not exagerrating here, but to make thumbnails for them all, and upload all the images twice... I simply don't think I could do something that big.

So I guess it would make sense to choose the best images but psssh. I don't even know how to go about doing that when there is some amazing stuff out there. :blink:

Anyway, the gallery is semi up and running. (Just don't click on any link that doesn't read "other" ;)). Thanks to Arwen for helping me (again). :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 15th, 2012, 7:13 am 
Balrog
Balrog

You're doing a great job JF, and we all adore you for it :)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 15th, 2012, 3:55 pm 

^What she said! :)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: March 18th, 2012, 12:22 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

It's OK, I think I have discovered what to do with the gallery now, and how we can have a good amount of images without there being a million pages. :-) It's completed now anyway, the changes I'm making don't affect how it's looking at the moment so at least something around here is finished. :lol:

After the gallery is done though, it will just be a question of keeping it up to date which I hope won't be too much of a problem, and then I don't really know what to do with regards to the revival. I'll probably have the time to devote myself to the fan art because there's really nothing much else going on right now.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 14th, 2012, 5:46 pm 

Re: Keeping the gallery up to date-- There's a lot of neat photos coming out of Comic-Con this week for The Hobbit. It'd be really awesome if we could get them up on the site. :)

PostPosted: July 14th, 2012, 8:25 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I agree. Sorry I've been lax adding any. I've just spent the past week battling with the FOTR hi-res images, and pretty much once I got my teeth into it, I didn't want to stop. Where is the best place to find these new images? I know you've added some on the main page (GREAT JOB by the way in keeping that up to date, it looks like a proper front page now) but I want to make sure I don't miss any.

I guess in future Taur, if you find any new images before you link off site with them, you could give me a quick message and I can upload it and then you can add the news to the site maybe linking the image to AU?

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4