Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: A-U Revival: Main Site [Images etc] Headquarters
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 12:08 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Hello and welcome to the Image Headquarters for the A-U Revival. This team will be involved in.... everything to do with images. Yay! :P Please keep on topic, if you feel the need to discuss other areas of the revival, do so in the correct thread. :-)

Ultimately, with the image group there will be a lot of search and rescue as it were, finding new images to AU and letting them see the light! If you feel you can spend time hunting out good stuff, then this is the group for you. :yes:

This is a list of things we need to do.

Media

[x] Remove old graphics - this will be up to myself, Nurr and one more graphics maker volunteer to do. We will go through each and every section removing any items we think no longer are worthy to be kept.
[x] Decide if we need to keep all sections - again, this will be up the graphics makers chosen
[x] Add additional graphics - any graphics makers interested in having their banners/avatars/wallpapers etc added to AU should go <a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21157" target="_blank">here</a> to do so. Banners are currently being accepted.
[x] Brushes/Fonts - New LOTR brush sets and fonts would be helpful to have. Either new ones found or made
[x] Video clips - decide if this section is needed and if so, re-organize and remove old/bad quality clips

Gallery

[x] Remove old images and add new ones - pictures to all the galleries need to be added and updated.
[x] All images need to be checked for bad links

Fan Art

[x] Add new fan art and remove old images
[x] Fan videos - create a section and then add the best videos that can be found

------------------------

A lot of the jobs that need doing will require more than one person i.e searching for new gallery images. So the more people who wish to seek out images/fan videos etc the better it will be. Also we need to kep in mind that our group will have to be in communication with the others especially concerning any items to be added to AU, as that is the coding departments job.

If there is any specific job(s) you want in particular then grab it now. :-)

If I've missed anything then please hit me and let me know. ;)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 12:22 am 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

For the gallery photos, I think it would be good to enlist someone here with a high quality video and screencapping program who is willing to take the time (and a lot of it) to do that.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 12:34 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I'm not sure if it was mentioned way waaaay back, that the screencapping gallery was, apart from being ordered correctly, pretty much OK as it was?

But I'm up for hearing opinions on this. :-)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2011, 4:19 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Does searching for bad image links go under general clean-up or graphics? Or both..?

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2011, 4:43 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I was thinking we could do that to help you guys out. :-)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2011, 5:12 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I would love to help out in the fanart section!

One thing I had volunteered to do was have a weekly(or monthly... more maybe biweekly) deviantart feature where I would feature say... 50 fanarts from deviantart for the week or so. Everyone seemed to like the idea(because it would also draw LotR lovers from da to out site), but I'm not sure if it would get it's own page or just a section of page...

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 1:46 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Gimli wrote:
I was thinking we could do that to help you guys out. :-)

Awesome :) Nurr is on top of this in the non-image revival section, so if anyone wants to help clean-up links, just let her know what you want to work on and get to it ;)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 10:45 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Eruraina wrote:
I would love to help out in the fanart section!

One thing I had volunteered to do was have a weekly(or monthly... more maybe biweekly) deviantart feature where I would feature say... 50 fanarts from deviantart for the week or so. Everyone seemed to like the idea(because it would also draw LotR lovers from da to out site), but I'm not sure if it would get it's own page or just a section of page...

Yay! :D

At the moment, we're not sure if the Fan Art will be in the same format as the gallery - we're thinking something like Coppermine would be a good way of hosting the screencaps etc.

I would like there to be a selection of Fan Art on the site all the time, and maybe then Eru, you could have a special section of this weeks featured art (maybe 10?) which could include brand new art to AU (which then gets featured on the site for good) and some of your faves of the stuff we already have. It would be awesome to have an image link or something for "This Weeks Featured Fan Art", so people would click on it, and then see the featured work and all the rest of the art in the gallery.

Right, so I am going to start looking at the links in the galleries, which includes fan art as they are displayed the same way. I'm going to be tackling the *easier* ones first, which are the character and actor etc pages. Although not all the images in thos galleries will be staying, it's easier to check them all now, rather than trying to remember which ones we didn't check because we presumed we wouldn't be keeping.

Also I will be checking any non-image links I find on any of the gallery pages, image pages etc.

If anybody would like to volunteer to do a section, please tell me what you would like/are going to do. :-)

And I still need one more graphic maker who is willing to take my little "survey" about what graphics we keep around here. It will be a long process but an easy one for you to do, just so you know. ;)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 12:51 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Updates:

The following galleries/pages have been checked for broken links etc.

Gallery Main Page
Aragorn
Arwen
Bilbo
Boromir
Cast (and sub categories)
Elrond
Eomer
Eowyn
Faramir
Frodo
Galadriel
Gandalf
Gimli
Gollum
Group (and sub categories)
Haldir
Legolas
Merry
Pippin
Posters
Samwise
Saruman
Theoden

Left to do:

Other (and sub categories)
Screencaptures

And I'm also currently going through all the banners with Nurr making decisions about what to remove from AU.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2011, 1:17 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Today's update. Yay. :P

Finished looking through all the galleries, so all I have left to click and check is the screencaptures.

Have gone through many banner categories with Nurr making a note of which graphics we think should be removed and which should be kept.

Have spent the past 2 days going through the galleries, double checking what we have, and finding images new to AU or better quality images of the ones we have. Currently found 277 images with lots more coming. Did anyone even think it possible there were 7 more Leggie pics out there? :blink:

Next on the agenda: re-make the header and get some thoughts on what images do we really want on AU? Bad quality but interesting/unusual or just good quality, graphics friendly?

P.S I think my eyeballs have dried out. :-o

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2011, 5:38 am 
Balrog
Balrog

^Great work, JF! You make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside with your hard work :teehee:

About the images, I think I've said this before too, but in my opinion we should keep the interesting/unusal images even if they are bad quality, but only if we can't get them in better quality and not if they're really terrible. "Bad" should mean "not great" and not "dreadful" ;)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2011, 12:43 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

^ Thank you! :D

Yes, since really checking the galleries of AU and visiting other LOTR galleries, I've changed my opinion on what we need for ours.

I think I was looking at it from a graphics point of view, which I do too often now. Even when I'm out and I see advertising I look to see if it's been blended correctly and what font they're used. :duh: So a lot of "not graphics friendly" images, that are small or a bit rough looking should be definitely kept if they are either a) unusual behind the scenes images (found a LOT of "wow, who'd have thought that!?" crew stuff) or b) character images etc different from the normal ones.

I probably have let a few really, really bad ones in but I will be going through them all again to make sure they are not on AU already, which I have checked, but I'm sure I've missed some.

And of course there is getting the images of The Hobbit together. Which is quite depressing as so many other sites have got that section pretty well full up as it is. But it should make my job easier.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: A-U Revival: Main Site [Images etc] Headquarters
PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 2:41 pm 

^Definitely should keep the unusual images. ;) I know, I tend to think graphically too, but those are fun to look at.

Regarding the screencaps, I have thumbnails done of FotR: Prologue.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 3:14 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Haha. Yes, I have got a completely different viewpoint of the galleries now, so I don't think there will be that many that need removing.

Ooh, good job. :D

Also, I would like to maybe add a few more catgories for the galleries... I don't know if it would be easier if some busy sections (such as locations) would benefit having sub-sections. I found a TON of location images I've never seen before, and I think having 12+ pages of locations etc, would make people not bother to check them all out. Whereas having a section for locations and then dividing them up will give people the option of choosing Hobbiton rather than having to look through all the pages.

In fact, it wouldn't even need to be that specific. Shire, Rohan, Gondor, Elven Kingdoms and Evil Lands (or something like that) would suit just as well without their being a million choices.

It's really only when you truly look at the galleries and see what can be added, that you realise some changes can simplify things without doing something drastic like Coppermine.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 3:16 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^Simple changes like that are probably good. Because most people will be like "oh, I want to watch pictures of Mordor" and not "I want to look at all the locations", or at least they will be more tempted to look if they can choose one location at the time :P

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 3:34 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Yep, I agree. Most of the sub-categories are OK I think. But maybe we we have 200+ images extra, we may have to think about making them easier for the average visitor to look at.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next