Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2007, 5:17 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I read the book before watch the film so when I was watching the film and Haldir appeared in Helm's Deep I was surprised and happy, bu when I died I felt very sad, he was one of my favourite characters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 7th, 2007, 10:19 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I have been thinking...
I think Haldir's death was to give the battle a bit more depth... and when that happened, it would make everyone realise how agonizing the battle must have been, to lose a friend. Haldir was a perfect character to use for that, since he was a pretty important character in FotR, having lead them into Lórien and helping the Fellowship out. And since he did not show up anytime at all after that in any of the history, I suppose Jackson would figure that he was the perfect character to use to symbolize a big loss... since he would not be missed and nobody knows what really became of Haldir, Rúmil or Orophin. Does that make sense?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2007, 7:26 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Perfect sense, I completely agree, and it worked, I felt it when he died, it added the sense of loss and grief to the great battle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2007, 9:20 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Well, Haldir wasn't even supposed to be at the Helm's Deep and PJ killed him! :'( I was really shocked when I first saw the movie. I was like 'Am I seeing things or did Haldir just die?' :blink: It was really sad and I didn't like it one bit. :annoyed2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2007, 11:32 am 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Thank you Slickman! :)

Arianna:
I feel that too, but it was a bit more satisfying for me... to give him an actual ending. Reading the book, you can only wonder where he went or what happened to him after his encounter with the Fellowship.
And he was simply a guard... all those who went Westward were those of high ranks.; Elrond, Celeborn, Galadriel, Gandalf and the Ringbearers. Haldir would have been a bit of a prop... he was important, but not that important. Tolkien did not even need to mention his name in the book, and it would flow just as smoothly. And from what we read and from what happened, he did not do anything that could get him higher up in ranks. Though I am not too pleased with him being killed off in such a manner... he "died" on his knees. But to finish Haldir off in a better way... or to get him higher up in ranks instead (as some have suggested...) they would have needed to add quite a few unnecessary scenes. And PJ was able to worm the Galadhrim Host neatly into the Helm's Deep battle without wasting any time or messing up the storyline.

Anyone realise... that it does not look like Haldir really died at Helm's Deep? It seems to me that Aragorn just dropped him and gave him up as dead. Haldir did not look dead to me. Elves never close their eyes unless they are mortally wounded or just... dead. And Haldir? His eyes were open. Aragorn, having been raised by Elves... should he not have known that?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2007, 12:52 pm 

I thought it was sad. I loved the music though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2007, 12:55 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Yeah... beautiful, wasn't it? :P

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2007, 12:54 pm 
Elf
Elf

Haldir o Lórien wrote:
Thank you Slickman! :)

Arianna:
I feel that too, but it was a bit more satisfying for me... to give him an actual ending. Reading the book, you can only wonder where he went or what happened to him after his encounter with the Fellowship.
And he was simply a guard... all those who went Westward were those of high ranks.; Elrond, Celeborn, Galadriel, Gandalf and the Ringbearers. Haldir would have been a bit of a prop... he was important, but not that important. Tolkien did not even need to mention his name in the book, and it would flow just as smoothly. And from what we read and from what happened, he did not do anything that could get him higher up in ranks. Though I am not too pleased with him being killed off in such a manner... he "died" on his knees. But to finish Haldir off in a better way... or to get him higher up in ranks instead (as some have suggested...) they would have needed to add quite a few unnecessary scenes. And PJ was able to worm the Galadhrim Host neatly into the Helm's Deep battle without wasting any time or messing up the storyline.

Anyone realise... that it does not look like Haldir really died at Helm's Deep? It seems to me that Aragorn just dropped him and gave him up as dead. Haldir did not look dead to me. Elves never close their eyes unless they are mortally wounded or just... dead. And Haldir? His eyes were open. Aragorn, having been raised by Elves... should he not have known that?

awesome point!!!! that's a great thought. so he is still alive!!!!
the beautiful elvish music laying is gorgeous i always listen to it and now i know the words so now i can sing along!

Hannon Le,everyone for the banners! :)
Married Khamûl on January the 26th, 2007:bones:

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2007, 4:39 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Nay, I don't think he was alive though... they (the cast and crew) have all confirmed that yes... they did kill Haldir off. Perhaps another movie error; Peter Jackson must have overlooked that, but it's nice to think that he could have been alive...

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2007, 5:02 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Geez, to be honest I don't think anyone expected his death. I didn't and yes I cried and cried and cried some more. And the MOST part that struck me, was when he was dying he looked around and saw his kin dead all around him. *sniff sniff* Very touching.

Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2007, 7:09 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Yeah, that was mostly what made me cry...

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: HALDIR
PostPosted: May 29th, 2007, 6:34 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

eowynshieldmaiden wrote:
I know he wasn's supposed to die at Helm's Deep, he wasn't even supposed to be there, but wasn't his death moving? I thought it was THE saddest part of the whole movie, no question! What about u guys? U think that was sad too??!!!

i was so sad after that scene... i couldn't think clear. and had that sad face.... i hated that scene... :'(

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2007, 1:07 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I was mad. How dare they kill off a hot elf!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2007, 7:16 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

It's realy stupid that Haldir died... :disgust:

It's the worst mistake in the movie :closedeyes:

But also it's wery sad when he loked around him and saw all thouse elfs dead....They could live forever, and now they are dead :(

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2007, 11:19 am 
Elf
Elf

I was so sad when Haldir died, but I was more in awe than sad because of his eyes. It was like he recognized death, and calmly resigned himself to it. His beauty really comes out in his face when he falls back on Aragorn's arm, and his face is so sweet!

Craig Parker is amazing.

~Extreme Evanescent~

~Claimed Elladan July 03, 2007~ :3

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2007, 10:55 am 
Elf
Elf

Sorry, for double posting, but I was just thinking that it doesn't bother me that Haldir dies as much as it does the way his death was treated. Aragorn was angry after that, but it never shows Legolas remembering him, or Celeborn and Galadriel mourning for him; In fact even though Haldir helped save Helm's Deep it was like they didn't even care that he died. When they put in the dying scene it was like they just forgot about it and went on with the rest of the book. But that's totally unrealistic.

~Extreme Evanescent~

~Claimed Elladan July 03, 2007~ :3

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next