Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2007, 4:46 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf
User avatar

Joined: 04 January 2007
Posts: 851
Location: Tom Bombadil's House

Offline
yes. It's so sad, and the fact you oversee it so easily. It must be an extremely sad memory, to see something like that :(

_________________
.::. PUSH : Pray until something happens : PUSH .::.

><x> Ringer for Christ <x><

Evil twin of: Inwe Calaelen :vampire:

<p><img alt="" border="0" src="http://www.dreipage.de/userdaten/19820549/bilder/au.gif"></p>
<p><img alt="" border="0" src="http://www.dreipage.de/userdaten/19820549/bilder/darkside.jpg"></p>


Top
 Profile       WWW         ICQ    
 
 Post subject: Re: My heart aches....
PostPosted: January 27th, 2007, 2:55 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian
User avatar

Joined: 03 June 2006
Posts: 302
Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Offline
ElenyaAr-Feiniel wrote:
I totally agree.
just like in the dead marshes. I didn't notice what they meant until I heard the commentaries. that it was like in war. thousands of dead soldiers swimming there. it's so sad...


The way you put that really made me think about what a vivid portrayal Tolkien gives us there. Definitely sad! But I think we can gather strength in death too. Reminds me of a Thomas Paine quote:

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave."

_________________
"If you do not find a way, no one will."


Top
 Profile       WWW            
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2007, 3:55 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf
User avatar

Joined: 04 January 2007
Posts: 851
Location: Tom Bombadil's House

Offline
^that's really cool

_________________
.::. PUSH : Pray until something happens : PUSH .::.

><x> Ringer for Christ <x><

Evil twin of: Inwe Calaelen :vampire:

<p><img alt="" border="0" src="http://www.dreipage.de/userdaten/19820549/bilder/au.gif"></p>
<p><img alt="" border="0" src="http://www.dreipage.de/userdaten/19820549/bilder/darkside.jpg"></p>


Top
 Profile       WWW         ICQ    
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2007, 1:56 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan
User avatar

Joined: 23 January 2007
Posts: 111
Location: Middle Earth: Edoras

Offline
[quote="Farn & Shish"] For starters, the charge of the rohirrim is the best part of the whole trilogy, in my opinion. 6000 horses running at top speed with spine-tingling music playing is just... :drool: . But Theoden's speech was a little wierd. He's supposed to be encouraging them. Plus, the horses getting shot is horribly sad for me :(. Oh well, all of them have about 30 clones somewhere in there...

But there was some stuff I think should have been changed or thrown out altogether. Take the Grond scene (Ok, so that's not exactly the battle of the Pelennor, but oh well.). It made it look like breaking Minas Tirith's gates was easy. Just bang,bang,bang, they're open. I mean, in the book, they can't get it open, and then the Witch King rides up slow and creepy-like(with his horse stepping on dead orcs all the way, adding to the creepyness), and then he stands in his stirrups, holds up his sword, and yells. He does that three times, with Grond hitting the gates each time, and the gates blow up. Why didn't PJ like THAT?!

The part with Legolas killing the oliphant was stupid, no offense intended to anybody. It just adds to my feelings about Legolas being a pansy who shows off to make up for lack of importance in the movie.[quote]

Ok...*takes a breath* I agree that the charge of the Rohirrim in TTT was the best, because you almost feel the fear, followed by the breath of bravery rushing through your soul. Plus the Rohirrim were my favorite people in LOTR.


The Grond scene was a little weird to me too. I canb't wait to read it the way it's supposed to be when I get to ROTK. Althoug the stepping on Orcs might make me cringe when I come to it...

:notworthy: FINALLY! Someone who agrees that they made Legolas a pretty boy in the movies!!! They give him an "awesome" battle scene in every movie, (not to mention the freakish amount of close-ups) Probably for the freaky fangirls...

FOTR- In Moria mines, jumps on back of troll, kills Orc by shooting it smack in the middle of the forehead with an arrow

TTT- Slides down stairs on shield while shooting arrows in every direction possible

ROTK- Climbs Oliphant, kills oliphant and everyone on it, slidesdown trunk...

:annoyed2: Seriously, that got quite annoying :disgust:

_________________
When the cold of winter comes
Starless night will cover day
In the veiling of the sun
We will walk in bitter rain
But in dreams
I can still hear your name
And in dreams
We will meet again
When the seas and mountains fall
And we come to end of days
In the dark I hear a call
Calling me there
I will go there
And Back again


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Redemption!
PostPosted: May 28th, 2007, 10:42 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian
User avatar

Joined: 03 June 2006
Posts: 302
Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Offline
There were many things about the movie that didn't measure up but I am so glad that he did as great a job as he did. It was a huge chunk to tear off and a dynamic challenge.

Perhaps one could get annoyed at Legolas' actions in the movie but it seems that any such annoyance is quickly redeemed by the acting and maybe just the very presence of Orlando Bloom! At least for me.

_________________
"If you do not find a way, no one will."


Top
 Profile       WWW            
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2007, 10:27 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian
User avatar

Joined: 01 August 2006
Posts: 265

Offline
Quote:
Quote:
For starters, the charge of the rohirrim is the best part of the whole trilogy, in my opinion. 6000 horses running at top speed with spine-tingling music playing is just... :drool: . But Theoden's speech was a little wierd. He's supposed to be encouraging them. Plus, the horses getting shot is horribly sad for me :(. Oh well, all of them have about 30 clones somewhere in there...

But there was some stuff I think should have been changed or thrown out altogether. Take the Grond scene (Ok, so that's not exactly the battle of the Pelennor, but oh well.). It made it look like breaking Minas Tirith's gates was easy. Just bang,bang,bang, they're open. I mean, in the book, they can't get it open, and then the Witch King rides up slow and creepy-like(with his horse stepping on dead orcs all the way, adding to the creepyness), and then he stands in his stirrups, holds up his sword, and yells. He does that three times, with Grond hitting the gates each time, and the gates blow up. Why didn't PJ like THAT?!

The part with Legolas killing the oliphant was stupid, no offense intended to anybody. It just adds to my feelings about Legolas being a pansy who shows off to make up for lack of importance in the movie.
Quote:

Ok...*takes a breath* I agree that the charge of the Rohirrim in TTT was the best, because you almost feel the fear, followed by the breath of bravery rushing through your soul. Plus the Rohirrim were my favorite people in LOTR.


The Grond scene was a little weird to me too. I canb't wait to read it the way it's supposed to be when I get to ROTK. Althoug the stepping on Orcs might make me cringe when I come to it...

:notworthy: FINALLY! Someone who agrees that they made Legolas a pretty boy in the movies!!! They give him an "awesome" battle scene in every movie, (not to mention the freakish amount of close-ups) Probably for the freaky fangirls...

FOTR- In Moria mines, jumps on back of troll, kills Orc by shooting it smack in the middle of the forehead with an arrow

TTT- Slides down stairs on shield while shooting arrows in every direction possible

ROTK- Climbs Oliphant, kills oliphant and everyone on it, slidesdown trunk...

:annoyed2: Seriously, that got quite annoying :disgust:


Wow, someone who thinks like me! No offense to anyone, but I got sick of Legolas in the movies.

The oliphaunt was the last straw. :confused:

Gimli looks helpless while Legolas gets all the credit for.... being a showoff? Okay, maybe not. But it seems that way to me.



Quote:
I personally absolutely hated this fight scene for many reasons.

1) The Gondorians wearing plate armour
2) The Gondorians being beaten in singles combat by orcs
3) A retarded orc, who was mentioned once in the books, leading the army of Mordor instead of Witch-King
4) Witch-King having such a minor part in the battle
5) The army of Mordor running around inside Minas Tirith, Witch-King should have been the only one to get into the city
6) The absence of the warriors of the southern fiefdoms
7) The lack of evil men in the Mordor army
8) The lack of the Rammas Echor
9) Witch-King breaking Gandalfs staff
10) Rohirrim charging headfirst into Mumakil
11) AOTD being at the battle
and last but certainly not least...
12) The lack of the Grey Company at the battle

But that's just the opinion of a book loyalist I guess. Although I hated this battle before I even read the books


You have to remember, this is the movie, and the movie is based on the books, is IS NOT THE BOOKS. Sorry for the caps. But the movies and the books are separate things, really. Some things I don't really like in the movies, for example, Legolas' showy-offyness and Gimli hardly getting much attention compared to Legolas. But you cannot compare the movies to the books without being very unhappy and angry at the director, so I suggest that you don't. That way you can enjoy the movies more. ;)

So there's my post of the year. :P No offense meant to anyone there. Just stating my opinions.

_________________
Formerly known as Leonder :)

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1090576/ be sure to check out my LOTR stories!
Image I'm not obsessed, honest, not obsessed, not obsessed.... I LOVE LOTR!!!!!!!!! Okay, maybe I am obsessed.


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2007, 5:11 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Joined: 02 June 2007
Posts: 5
Location: Michigan, USA

Offline
Yeah, I think this was one of the best scenes in the movie, but they could have got a few things better. I realize that no director or screenwriter wants to follow the book WORD FOR WORD, but a couple of things in this scene were AWFUL! I couldn't stand the Army of the Dead going right through the walls of the City, or climbing over the Oliphant. I pictured the Army in the books as being spectral, but not green! Maybe kinda just see-through a little, and I didn't think they would be at the Pelenor Fields.

I also thought that the movie makers messed up the Corsairs' ships coming to the battle. In the book, when Aragorn unfurls the banner, it's one of the most dramatic parts of the fight.

Although it was VERY moving, I couldn't get over the fact that Theoden's death reminded me WAY too much of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, when Vader says the whole "save you...you already did..." part. I'm sorry. I know this wasn't the way it was supposed to be, but every time I see this scene, that's what I think of.

_________________
"End? Oh no, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take." ~ Gandalf


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Always thrilled me....
PostPosted: June 12th, 2007, 1:24 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian
User avatar

Joined: 03 June 2006
Posts: 302
Location: Portland, Oregon USA

Offline
Lord_Erufailon wrote:
I also thought that the movie makers messed up the Corsairs' ships coming to the battle. In the book, when Aragorn unfurls the banner, it's one of the most dramatic parts of the fight.


You bring up a great point. The unfurling of Arwen's banner is quite possibly one of the most dramatic moments in the book! It has always thrilled me. Everytime I read it I get goosebumps!

_________________
"If you do not find a way, no one will."


Top
 Profile       WWW            
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2007, 12:21 am 
Elf
Elf
User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2007
Posts: 1186
Location: Somewhere far away

Offline
Hmm...I pretty much do not STOP getting goose bumps the entire time I'm reading.

_________________
~Follower of Christ~

~Extreme Evanescent~

~Claimed Elladan July 03, 2007~ :3


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pelennor Fields
PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 10:22 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit
User avatar

Joined: 08 August 2011
Posts: 26
Country: France (fr)
Gender: Female

Offline
this scene is so good... the arrival of the rohirrim is epic and the oliphaunt's pwn

_________________
frodo:you've left out one of the main characters, samwise the brave, i want to hear more about sam, Frodo wouldn't have got far without sam.
Image


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pelennor Fields
PostPosted: August 5th, 2013, 10:36 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Joined: 02 July 2013
Posts: 90
Country: United States (us)
Gender: Female

Offline
I love that scene :D The battle scenes in ROTK are epic.


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2016, 7:09 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
User avatar

Joined: 02 January 2007
Posts: 2732
Location: The Lakeshore of Annúminas
Country: Gondor (xg)

Offline
Lady Imidri wrote:
Farn & Shish wrote:
For starters, the charge of the Rohirrim is the best part of the whole trilogy, in my opinion. 6000 horses running at top speed with spine-tingling music playing is just... :drool: . But Theoden's speech was a little wierd. He's supposed to be encouraging them. Plus, the horses getting shot is horribly sad for me :(. Oh well, all of them have about 30 clones somewhere in there...

But there was some stuff I think should have been changed or thrown out altogether. Take the Grond scene (Ok, so that's not exactly the battle of the Pelennor, but oh well.). It made it look like breaking Minas Tirith's gates was easy. Just bang,bang,bang, they're open. I mean, in the book, they can't get it open, and then the Witch King rides up slow and creepy-like(with his horse stepping on dead orcs all the way, adding to the creepyness), and then he stands in his stirrups, holds up his sword, and yells. He does that three times, with Grond hitting the gates each time, and the gates blow up. Why didn't PJ like THAT?!

The part with Legolas killing the oliphant was stupid, no offense intended to anybody. It just adds to my feelings about Legolas being a pansy who shows off to make up for lack of importance in the movie.


Ok...*takes a breath* I agree that the charge of the Rohirrim in TTT was the best, because you almost feel the fear, followed by the breath of bravery rushing through your soul. Plus the Rohirrim were my favorite people in LOTR.


The Grond scene was a little weird to me too. I can't wait to read it the way it's supposed to be when I get to ROTK. Although the stepping on Orcs might make me cringe when I come to it...

:notworthy: FINALLY! Someone who agrees that they made Legolas a pretty boy in the movies!!! They give him an "awesome" battle scene in every movie, (not to mention the freakish amount of close-ups) Probably for the freaky fangirls...

FOTR- In Moria mines, jumps on back of troll, kills Orc by shooting it smack in the middle of the forehead with an arrow

TTT- Slides down stairs on shield while shooting arrows in every direction possible

ROTK- Climbs Oliphant, kills oliphant and everyone on it, slidesdown trunk...

:annoyed2: Seriously, that got quite annoying :disgust:


Yes! Theoden's speech and the charge of the Rohirrim was the best!
Brilliant movie making and the use of CGI was restrained!
And Yeah, they overdid the pretty Legolas fangirl parts, but it is signature PJ to do so.


zimoo wrote:
I personally absolutely hated this fight scene for many reasons.

1) The Gondorians wearing plate armour
2) The Gondorians being beaten in singles combat by orcs
3) A retarded orc, who was mentioned once in the books, leading the army of Mordor instead of Witch-King
4) Witch-King having such a minor part in the battle
5) The army of Mordor running around inside Minas Tirith, Witch-King should have been the only one to get into the city
6) The absence of the warriors of the southern fiefdoms
7) The lack of evil men in the Mordor army
8) The lack of the Rammas Echor
9) Witch-King breaking Gandalfs staff
10) Rohirrim charging headfirst into Mumakil
11) AOTD being at the battle
and last but certainly not least...
12) The lack of the Grey Company at the battle

But that's just the opinion of a book loyalist I guess. Although I hated this battle before I even read the books


I agree mostly with you here.
I will let pass the perceived issue with plate armour as they were descendants of Numenor and the knowledge could have been there.
I'll also mention a couple things... Khamûl the Easterling had no part in the battle, or the movies.
He likely did more than the Witch King, but this was a necessary merge for movie-making.

And the biggest thing that ruined the battle for me was how the Army of the Dead was portrayed.
I mean.. seriously? Green ant slime speeding all over the place and wiping out the enemy?
Epic fail in both screenplay and CGI, especially when the Dead on-screen were pretty good when they met Aragorn.
Once again it could have been good, but again the hand of mediocrity snatched the scene from the jaws of brilliance.

_________________
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Dunedain Ranger of the North
Annalist, Physician, & Historian
of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pelennor Fields
PostPosted: March 9th, 2017, 3:14 pm 
Elf
Elf
User avatar

Joined: 05 March 2017
Posts: 1303
Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.
Country: Germany (de)
Gender: Male

Offline
I think I've mentioned this before somewhere else - look at the films PJ directed before LoTR - he just likes the "baddies" too much to let the "goodies" win as they did in J.R.R.T.'s book version. :vampire:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile                  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Boyz theme by Zarron Media 2003