Who killed Theoden?
Snowmane 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
A Fell Beast 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: Fell Beast or Snowmane??
PostPosted: August 20th, 2006, 12:06 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Okay, so me and my cousin have this ongoing debate. She says Snowmane killed Theoden because he fell on him, and I say a Fell Beast killed Theoden because it hurt Snowmane, which is why he fell on Theoden. It originated while we were playing LotR Trivial Pursuit, and I stick by my opinion lol - it was a Fell Beast!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2006, 12:59 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Technically, it was Snowmane that did the killing(I'm sorry to say). However, the fell beast was responsible for Snowmane falling on Theoden - you could say that the Fell Beast used the horse as a tool to kill Theoden. Meaning that the fell beast was responsible. So, you're both right,; It all depends on how you want to look at it. (Annoying answer, eh? :D)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2006, 7:20 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

The fellbeast did nothing to kill Theoden. It was the Witch-King who hurled a black dart at Snowmane, causing him/her to fall on top of Theoden and crush him

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2006, 11:32 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

zimoo wrote:
The fellbeast did nothing to kill Theoden. It was the Witch-King who hurled a black dart at Snowmane, causing him/her to fall on top of Theoden and crush him
We're talking about the movie, since this is the movie forum, in which case the fell beast was responible for Snowmane falling over. Thank you for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2006, 10:16 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

That's true, we are talking about the movie, though your book insight is appreciated. So are people on the fence then lol?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 21st, 2006, 7:28 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Oops sorry, I always post stuff in the wrong forums :blush:

If we're talking about the films, I'd still hold Witch-King responsible. He ordered the fell beast to attack Snowmane, which led to him/her crushing Theoden. If I had to choose between those two I'd say the fellbeast though

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 21st, 2006, 6:04 pm 
Vala
Vala

Well, I would say that Snowmane killed him. Sure, the fell beast scared snowmane into falling on Theoden, but it was the wieght of the horse that killed Theoden.

Also, the part of the poem written over Snowmane's grave
"Faithful servant yet master’s bane"

zimoo wrote:
Oops sorry, I always post stuff in the wrong forums :blush:

If we're talking about the films, I'd still hold Witch-King responsible. He ordered the fell beast to attack Snowmane, which led to him/her crushing Theoden. If I had to choose between those two I'd say the fellbeast though

Bt think of it this way. It was Sauron who ordered the witch king to go to battle. Then before that it was Morgoth who corrupted Sauron to the point of evilness. And way before that, it was Eru who created Morgoth. This doen't mean Eru is to blame for Theoden's death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2006, 2:05 pm 

Snowmane was a Rohirric horse and Theoden a Rohirric rider so they would deeply respect and love each other. Yes, technically Snowmane caused Theoden's death but as they were in the midst of a heavy battle we can't really hold the horse responsible. I believe Snowmane would never hurt his master purposely, the bond between them was too strong.

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2006, 7:45 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I'm going to have to say Snowmane.. yes the witch king and fell beast did alot to influence the incident. But it was Snowmanes weight that broke Theodens body and in the end killed him. If Snowmane had fallen differently however, the impact may have not killed Theoden, but the Fell beast or Witch King certainly would have.

I don't know.. it's tricky.. I think my original opinion was both.. but i had to choose one over the other...