Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 29th, 2024, 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Life or death?
PostPosted: June 26th, 2005, 3:37 pm 

Do you think that Denethor deserved 2 die? Why? or Why not?

I think that no one deserves 2 die, Denethor I think that he deserved to die because he was not a good leader for Mines Tirith. In times of war that city would have been lost if Gandalf hadn't take the lead over the soldiers; he lost hope, a good leader never losses hope without putting up a fight. He refused 2 ask for help when he neede it. He prefered one son over another, you never do that, you should love ur son ecually; and if he really loved Faramir (wich he did), that was not the way to show it. And last but ot list, he denied the return of the King.

That is my opinion, now lets c ur's my Elf friends! :bounce: :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 27th, 2005, 12:54 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

in my oppion Denethor was to far gone to be saved. He had looked into the Plantir and lost all hope.

Quote:
In times of war that city would have been lost if Gandalf hadn't take the lead over the soldiers; he lost hope, a good leader never losses hope without putting up a fight. He refused 2 ask for help when he neede it. He prefered one son over another, you never do that, you should love ur son ecually; and if he really loved Faramir (wich he did), that was not the way to show it. And last but ot list, he denied the return of the King.

he's got such a long list of things, it kinda reminds me of theoden who did make that turn around

but Denethor did chose death for himself, he descided live wasn't worth living, so he ordered himself to be burned

Post subject: Re: Life or death?
PostPosted: June 27th, 2005, 10:07 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Elf Lady Alane wrote:
Do you think that Denethor deserved 2 die? Why? or Why not?

I think that no one deserves 2 die, Denethor I think that he deserved to die because he was not a good leader for Mines Tirith. In times of war that city would have been lost if Gandalf hadn't take the lead over the soldiers; he lost hope, a good leader never losses hope without putting up a fight. He refused 2 ask for help when he neede it. He prefered one son over another, you never do that, you should love ur son ecually; and if he really loved Faramir (wich he did), that was not the way to show it. And last but ot list, he denied the return of the King.

That is my opinion, now lets c ur's my Elf friends! :bounce: :-D

You do have a point . .. you pointed out many things I overlooked that I dislike (for example, he favored one son over another), but still, it's kind of harsh to say that he deserved to die, because he just had a difficult time expressing his love to Faramir, and I guess we have to deal with that.

But he was sort of .. . on my nerves.

:bye2:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2005, 9:31 pm 

Denethor definantly deserved to die. a)if he had remained they might have problems with him not wanting to give up the throne to Aragorn. b)He was practicaly insane and insane people should not rule a kingdom c)he had dealings with Sauron/Suaruman through his Palantir. So yes Denethor deserved to die, plus he treated Faramir his only living son like dirt. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.......I hate Denethor so much!!!!!!!!!!!! :explode:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 30th, 2005, 5:03 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think Denethor just couldn't take anymore of ruling- he's seen territory and people destroyed, he is in complete despair, and since Boromir died, the last vestiges of his sanity were completely destroyed. I think that his death was symbolic more than anything else- he was driven mad into flames by his own despair, like Minas Tirith itself could have been.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 30th, 2005, 4:57 pm 

He just could NOT handle war times me Elf friends, move it or lose it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 30th, 2005, 6:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Elf Lady Alane wrote:
He just could NOT handle war times me Elf friends, move it or lose it!

I guess not - and as Larael said, he treated Faramir like dirt - that's mean, unfair, and not very good of him, but does that all add up to say that he really deserved to die? Hmmm . . . :bye2:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 1st, 2005, 1:15 am 
Vala
Vala

*ahem* Let's not forget the words of Gandalf, written by Professor J.R.R Tolkien:

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 1st, 2005, 12:17 pm 

Ur right my Elf friends, wise word those were...

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2005, 1:03 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I don't think so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2005, 9:09 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I think that Denethor's death was inevitable, but I don't think that he necessarily deserved it. Of all the characters in the story, I think Denethor suffered the most in the film treatment - not through John Noble's performance which was excellent - but through the screenwriting.

In the film, Denethor is seen as already going mad, uncaring, stubborn and ineffectual yet this is not how he is portrayed in the books. Very little of what you see in the film can relate back to the book version so it inevitable that he has become such an evil figure.

The book Denethor has the beacons lit before Gandalf even gets to Minas Tirith and is in complete, and sane, command of the forces of Gondor up until Faramir is brought back injured. The relationship between Denethor and Faramir is a lot less hostile as well - when Faramir is sent back out to fight, the battle is still going on so Denethor is not sending him out to die.

The only reason that Denethor has to be killed off is that he is not willing to stand down for Aragorn. Not surprising as he has been ruler for thirty odd years - and his replacement is Thorongil, who was more important to Denethor's father than Denethor was. It's simply too sticky an issue for them to work around, so it is better if he is just removed from the picture.

So in my opinion yes, he had to die, but he did not deserve it.

Be alert - the world needs more lerts :guitar:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2005, 1:05 pm 

Nobody deserves to die. Denethor for me is not a bad man, he's a man who has just lost his firstborn son, all around him is that despair mostly because he has looked in the palantir and has seen the end of Gondor... I don't think Denethor deserves his death but we can't do nothing to save him...

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2005, 1:15 pm 
Mageling
Mageling

Denethor is weak and insecure. he wants the rule of Gondor for himself but he does not have the strength to lead his people. after Faramir's "death" he lost all will to live. compared to the torture he would have endured if he had continued living, death would have been a savior to him.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 8th, 2005, 6:14 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

That's a lovely view, Lady Undomiel. :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 10th, 2005, 7:17 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Of course he deserves to die! He says he doesn't love his son, and then he will just let him ride to battle! What a father! :duh:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 10th, 2005, 7:04 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I respect all opinions on this topic and mine is that Denethor didn't necessarily DESERVE to die, but at least in the film, his staying alive indeed would've jeopardised Gondor's will to ultimately survive. If The King were to return [as he obviously did] then Denethor had to die. In the film he proved there was no option to this, whether it was madness or simply that Denethor was a headstrong and proud Steward, Denethor was not ready to give up the rule of Gondor.

I agree with those who suggest the film's Denethor wasn't strictly in keeping with the book, especially how the madness of Denethor was almost central to the near-fall of Gondor. Of course in the book, Denethor spends much more time taking counsel with Gandalf and does indeed remain in command at least until the fall of Faramir.

In short... the madness was over-done. :confused: