Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2005, 4:36 am 

Eek, this topic just needs to be bumped up! =D

I ADORE Arwen!

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2005, 10:14 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ok. I am a little late but WE. I think ppl mis understand us. I adore Eowyn. Arwen... not so much. Dont get me wrong. I dont hate her. I respect the opinions of those who like her. It just made me mad that they gave her such a huge part in the movies. Where in the book she was not mentioned more then 4 times. I think Arwen added to much of a movie star ting to the movie. Wich was the exact oposit from were the movie should have gone. I can see why they added more of her. I mean since there was so much of Eowyn in the movies they had to show why Aragorn couldnt feal the same way for her. So they added more of arwen. But saying that arwen isn't a wimp(not saying that she is) becasue of this huge horse rce in FOTR is going a little over board. Since if we think back to when people thought of LOTR as book instead of movies, That horse race belonged to Frodo and Glorfy.

I love Liv. I love Arwen. She is (as you might say) A role model to me in many ways. How she walks ,talks, moves, everything. I try desperatly hard to be elif like in my ways(I am a dancer and thats part of it) BUT I think they strayed a little too far from the books with Arwen. They did ok with FOTR and ROTK but TTT... i think that was a little too much.

Once again, I am not bashing arwen. I am not trying to be disrespectful of those who love her. I love LOTR there for I love the people in it. Including Arwen. I am just saying that they went a little to far with it.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2005, 5:08 pm 

Thanks you for sharing your opinion Lady Eowyn :)

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2005, 10:35 pm 

Since we have kind of brought the topic to Eowyn and Arwen I would like to ask this simple question.

For all you people who disliked the fact that there were so many Arwen scenes I ask you-

What would you have replaced some (or all) of those scenes with?

If you got rid of them, yes it would make the movie shorter, but would the movie still be able to tell the importance of Arwens choice. Probably so, but what would you put in there places? More Eowyn fight scenes? (Eowyn isn't all about fighting, she has a lot more depth than that.) Or just Eowyn and Aragorn scenes? Wouldn't that draw your attention away from the fact that Aragorn and Arwen are supposed to be together instead of Aragorn and Eowyn?

I dunno, but those are just a few of my questions for all the Eowyn fans out there. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17th, 2005, 8:11 pm 

Presactly, thank you Larael. :)

Arwen is an important character, for all you who think that we could get rid of all her scenes and make the other ones longer?

But I mean............I rather have a shorter movie if it means Arwen scenes are cut.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2005, 3:30 pm 

^Mhmm... exactly!

I think they put so many Arwen scenes in was so that they could stress the importance of what Arwen was doing. Her choice was a hard one, and it brought greif to her family. Many of those scenes do show the reality of her choice, and how it affects her family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2005, 4:49 pm 

I really just don't understand why everyone hates Arwen? If you hate Arwen...you hate Aragorn. End of story.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2005, 11:22 pm 

Mhmm..

It's kind of goes in a circle. If you don't like one character your bound not to like the character closest to him/her, and it just goes on and on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2005, 7:20 am 
Istari
Istari

I think Arwen's a great character, and I think Liv plays her perfectly.

There, my appreciation for Arwen shown! :D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2005, 6:12 pm 

Yey, Oro has come out! :D

I'm really glad...that they trained y'know the American actors to have an slight accent --- because they do it so beautifully!

THE HALLOWFEST 2010

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1st, 2006, 5:57 pm 

^Definantly!

Btw, I love your King Kong banner, Kit! Is that PJ up there in a cameo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2006, 11:22 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I think that Larael is absolutely right - Arwen is of much greater importance than some give her credit for. If her scenes are missing, what could we replace them with without devaluing Aragorn's relationship with her?

I've read some entries on other threads and boards that dismiss Arwen as unimportant, simply because she doesn't appear in the main text of the book very much. These comments also suggest that she has been 'relegated' to the appendices, and so that must mean that she was not important to the story, and that the movie has over-blown her relevance to the plot.

I wondered why this could be until I read on another thread that Tolkien's original intention was for Aragorn to end up with Eowyn, which would indeed have made Arwen a little redundant to the overall story. I think that it is probable that, by the time he changed his mind, it was far too late to change the plot of the earlier books, which had already been published. He would, therefore, have had no choice other than to beef up the relationship in the appendices.

It is also worth noting that his description in the appendices of Arwen's relationship with Aragorn is told in depth from the beginning right up to the end of their lives, something that he does not really do for any of the other characters. From this, I would say that Tolkien must have considered Arwen to be of great importance. So it is unfair simply to dismiss her as an unnecessary or over-exposed character, simply because of where her story appears in the book. To me, that would also suggest that it was perfectly reasonable for the movie to have the number of Arwen scenes that it did.

Arwen brings so much to the story. Her calm loyalty, strength of resolve and courage may not lead her to reach for a sword, however, it is her support that keeps Aragorn going, so both Arwen and Liv Tyler deserved every second of their screen time.

Be alert - the world needs more lerts :guitar:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2006, 10:09 pm 
Maia
Maia

that's a very good argument. I've been reading this whole thing (it only took about forever) and I find it very difficult because I agree with both sides. Sometimes it seems like she has too many scenes, but yeah, you need balance with Eowyn. It confuses me. :blink:
I would like to note, I totally agree with a character being strong without getting a sword. That is not the only reason I prefer Eowyn. I understand they both have great stories, but I just like Eowyn's better. I think it is perhaps of how she changes. At the end of the story, Eowyn is a completely different person. Arwen is a bit happier but more or less the same at the end. Don't get me wrong; I respect and appreciate her struggles and what happens to her inbetween. I am not overlooking them at all. I am just saying the reason above is probably why I enjoy Eowyn's story better overall.

But back to Arwen...she's not the best, and she is most certainly not the worst.

(Hey lookie, an Arwen scene! I'm watching RotK. Yup that was random.)

In response to an above post, if Arwen scenes were taken out, I'd probably just appreciate a bit more of everything. A real Legolas scene (where he has a line that shows there's a person in there somewhere) would be nice.

Thank you for five-plus wonderful years of obsession, friendship and fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2006, 11:19 pm 

lol all i can say is my eyes hurt from reading all these opinions.. very interesting though. So we can come to the conclusion that Arwen does have an important role in the movie and books, whether it be her sitting and doing nothing or getting away from the nazguls...she still is important to the story...*big sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15th, 2006, 4:41 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

i love arwen! i admire her for her selflessness and willingness to give up anything for aragorn... *sigh*... shes got lots of spirit and courage but i just want to cry when i see her because shes so... sad and incomplete kinda *sniff* *tear* shes like an angel... pure but chronically depressed :angel: lol but shes still kool :)

Post subject: Hope ya gots time
PostPosted: March 9th, 2006, 6:20 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

There are SOOOOOOOOO many reasons why I love Arwen, so I made a list as quick as possible:

1. Liv Tyler plays her!
2. She's a great character
3. She has a really moving conflict the audience/readers can maybe relate to
4. Aragorn and Arwen look so happy in the end
5. Eowyn and Aragorn are both warriors so it's likely one would end up killing the other (think about it!)
6. She does what's right
7. She's a good rider
8. Does everything for love
9. Has a mystery light that follows her (it's cool!)
10. What would happen to Faramir?

There are more, but those are the obvious ones... LIV/ARWEN FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My life is: My pals, LotR, PotC, Orlando Bloom, Liv Tyler, Kiera Knightly, Nathan Fillion, Vampires, GC, music, and food :P AMUSING QUOTES:-That still only counts as 1!-Savvy?-Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?-"Benji has 5 STD's." "2 of em should count as 1 but they're different strands."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next