Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Arwen Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: July 9th, 2005, 3:13 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I just find it so ironic that a website named Arwen-Undomiel has a considerable number of people who misguidedly dislike her. Oh well, their loss. Must be such a burden to hate a character in the good side in a film that they seem to be obsessed with.

Just post why you like Film-Arwen and book-Arwen and why you like the Aragorn-Arwen relationship in the books and films.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 10th, 2005, 2:15 pm 
Retired Welcomator
Retired Welcomator

i find it so ironic that opinions cannot be respected. i've seen your other posts, to Beriadanwen especially, and i find them rude - to be frank with you. i think it's great that you're such a fan of Arwen, but i think you could respect Beriadanwen a little more. isn't it ok if one doesn't think the same way you do?

anywhoo...i am also a fan of Arwen. :) not only her appearance, but her character is beautiful. same with the Aragorn/Arwen relationship, as well. i would agree with some in saying that she was probably given a little too much in the film, but i do understand why it had to be done that way.

Last edited by Gwenneth on July 10th, 2005, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 10th, 2005, 2:18 pm 
Mageling
Mageling

I like Arwen as well, though I can't say I'm a huge fan of her. many dislike her because they say she's a wimp but if she had the chance to prove herself she probably could

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 10th, 2005, 6:37 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Gwenneth wrote:
i find it so ironic that opinions cannot be respected... isn't it ok if one doesn't think the same way you do?

Well said I say!

Arwen is fine with me. Her character is central to the "RotK" story I think more so than the other books, but her part in all of the films was beautiful and perfectly portrayed the power and spirit of this Elvish princess. Liv Tyler was perfect casting. :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2005, 12:05 pm 

Lady Dark Moon wrote:
I like Arwen as well, though I can't say I'm a huge fan of her. many dislike her because they say she's a wimp but if she had the chance to prove herself she probably could

How can people say that she's a wimp? Did they not see the whole 5 minute horse chase in FotR? And how she handled GLORFINDEL'S horse like it was her own darn horse?

I think some people like to compare Arwen with Eowyn and by all, it seems Arwen is less active as a fighter, but they don't see that this is more set in medieval times where women don't usually fight. So she doesn't rebel against it? It doesn't mean she doesn't have the ability to fight. But people need to realize that there are more ways than one to define the word "strong".

Proof: Dictionary.com: "Strong"

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2005, 12:21 pm 

Kitoky wrote:
Lady Dark Moon wrote:

How can people say that she's a wimp? Did they not see the whole 5 minute horse chase in FotR? And how she handled GLORFINDEL'S horse like it was her own darn horse?

I think some people like to compare Arwen with Eowyn and by all, it seems Arwen is less active as a fighter, but they don't see that this is more set in medieval times where women don't usually fight. So she doesn't rebel against it? It doesn't mean she doesn't have the ability to fight. But people need to realize that there are more ways than one to define the word "strong".

Proof: Dictionary.com: "Strong"

Exactly. Arwen's a major character in the movies, and I think she contributed a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2005, 2:31 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I think that Arwen's greatest strength is her calmness and resolution. Here is a woman who is prepared to give up the one greatest gift of her people - immortality - to be with the man that she loves.

I know I'm talking movie-verse here, but even when she wavers, following Elrond's slightly edited version of her future, and agrees to leave Middle Earth, as soon as she realises her error, she has the fortitude to turn around, go back, and confront him.

She is also part of Aragorn's will to keep going as it is thoughts of her that help him find the strength to get up and return to Helm's Deep after his trip down river following the Warg fight.

Kitokay is right - you do not have to actually fight to be strong.

Be alert - the world needs more lerts :guitar:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2005, 7:50 pm 

I love Arwen! I hate it how people say stuff like "I like Eowyn because she kicked butt and I hate Arwen because all she did was take up screen time." or something like that. I do respect other peoples opinions and actually I like Eowyn for just that reason stated above.........she was the only heroine (sp?) that kicked butt. Arwen is also a heroine in my opinion, she gave up her immortality, which I think is something very hard to do considering she is an elf.

GO ARWEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2005, 6:25 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Beileve me, Beriadanwen was very rude about Arwen to the point of bashing the character. If it had been any other character, I would have been annoyed as well. Wanting characters to die is over the to and very offensive (her along with the user Elu Thingol).

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2005, 7:26 pm 

Er fbc, I....don't think we should be naming names. It might cause hurt feelings and people to start fighting with eachother. We should probably just drop the subject-I'm sure the people you mentioned did not realize they were not bieng very.....er-considerate of other peoples opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2005, 8:45 pm 
Mageling
Mageling

fbc wrote:
Beileve me, Beriadanwen was very rude about Arwen to the point of bashing the character. If it had been any other character, I would have been annoyed as well. Wanting characters to die is over the to and very offensive (her along with the user Elu Thingol).

Eowyn's a great warrioress but people tend to give her all the credit for slaying the Witch King. if Pippin or Merry (can't remember which) hadn't intervened and stabbed him in the back Eowyn wouldn't have won

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2005, 10:44 pm 

Actually, Arwen is definitely an Unsung Hero in the movies.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2005, 2:06 pm 
Retired Welcomator
Retired Welcomator

Lady Dark Moon wrote:
if Pippin or Merry (can't remember which) hadn't intervened and stabbed him in the back Eowyn wouldn't have won

yup, that's true. it was the two of them together. both were needed for the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2005, 7:08 pm 
Mageling
Mageling

yay support at last!!!!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2005, 4:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Larael Greenleaf wrote:
I love Arwen! I hate it how people say stuff like "I like Eowyn because she kicked butt and I hate Arwen because all she did was take up screen time." or something like that.

Well, everyone, I think Larael meant me. :-D

fbc wrote:

Beriadanwen has always been extremely kind to me, and I feel the need to defend her. However, I suggest that we drop the subject, lest we hurt anyone's feelings, because we all have different opinions about different topics, and so if someone states something that differs from your view, we shouldn't bash them, even if they do so to us. This forum has always remained very friendly and kind, and I would like it if we maintained the peace by refraining from directly naming names. Accusing people openly on threads will only lead to further arguments and hard feelings - and although Beriadanwen and Elu Thingol may have been a bit rude (I wouldn't know, as I haven't seen their posts on Arwen) it will do no good to repeat their "rude" behavior (if they really were being rude).

Sorry if I seemed a bit direct, I apologize, but let's refrain from naming names openly. Forgive and forget. I'm not accusing anybody of being rude, I'm just trying to lead us off the path of a heated argument, because it wouldn't be good to have this thread locked, as I see that this new forum has maintained a good reputation of not having to lock any (or many) threads so far.

Larael Greenleaf wrote:
Er fbc, I....don't think we should be naming names. It might cause hurt feelings and people to start fighting with eachother. We should probably just drop the subject-I'm sure the people you mentioned did not realize they were not bieng very.....er-considerate of other peoples opinions.

Exactly! Stated even better than how I said it. :-D

Lady Dark Moon wrote:
Eowyn's a great warrioress but people tend to give her all the credit for slaying the Witch King. if Pippin or Merry (can't remember which) hadn't intervened and stabbed him in the back Eowyn wouldn't have won

Actually, it was Merry. Pippin was over with Gandalf. Merry was the one that rode with Eowyn. :)

And also, although this site is called arwen-undomiel, it's not an "Arwen site" meaning this isn't a site only for Arwen content. It's more of an overall, general LotR site.

Politely stating, I am an Eowyn fan rather than an Arwen fan, although I recognize the sacrifices Arwen did during the movies and the books.

Have a nice day everyone! And remember, I don't mean to sound rude or pushy by my contents above. If anyone was offended, I apologize.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2005, 10:33 pm 

Elberethsq wrote:
Larael Greenleaf wrote:
I love Arwen! I hate it how people say stuff like "I like Eowyn because she kicked butt and I hate Arwen because all she did was take up screen time." or something like that.

Well, everyone, I think Larael meant me. :-D

Tee hee........ :-D

fbc wrote:

Larael Greenleaf wrote:

Elberethsq wrote:
Exactly! Stated even better than how I said it. :-D

Thankees!!!!!!!! :)

Last edited by Larael on July 20th, 2005, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next