Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eowyn and Theoden
PostPosted: September 18th, 2007, 6:33 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I always seem to be the one that needs things explaining, :confused: but anywho...
What does everyone think of this;
Right at the beginning of RotK during the Thanksgiving feast and after Eowyn has presented the cup to Aragorn, Theoden approaches Eowyn and says that he is happy for her - and he says it like Aragorn and Eowyn are engaged or something...
Is there some signifcance about the cup that I do not know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2007, 12:14 pm 
Ent
Ent

According to me, the cup has nothing to do with a possible engagement.

Eowyn gives a cup to drink to Aragorn, it reminds me of medieval novels where a lady offers to drink and to feast to her host, above all if he has saved her (in this case this would be the whole people of Rohan)...
To me, this is just a gesture of consideration and it obviously shows her feelings towards Aragorn which Theoden notices quickly! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2007, 11:37 pm 
Maia
Maia

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I know in some cultures part of the engagement is them drinking from a cup of wine... I really don't know if it's meant to have any sort of meaning like that or not.

PM me with prayer requests
www.therebelution.com
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19th, 2007, 4:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Maybe the wine was used to symbolize the victory and she was only offering it to the captains.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 20th, 2007, 6:24 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

i saw it as a sign that Eowyn found favor in Aragorn and then Theoden saw her do that and he congratulated her on her choice for a suiter...not sure though

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2007, 5:56 pm 
Vala
Vala

Well, I'm rather certain that it was actual mead that they were drinking, not wine, but I think it was merely a gesture of consideration, as Nessameldë said. Théoden merely was very sensitive to Éowyn's emotions, and probably realized rather early on that she was falling for Aragorn. However, I think that at that point, they both thought that Aragorn, while not necessarily returning the feelings, was not, at the same time, against them, which doesn't do much to decrease hope.

So I think they merely had a wrong impression of Aragorn at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27th, 2007, 3:26 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I have often thought there was something more about her offering that goblet to Aragorn. I actually said to my brother as we were watching it "does Aragorn know what he's doing when he took that?" :P.

Because I think her offering that cup to Aragorn had more meaning, as if she was offering it to him because she favoured him, he accepted it, hence Theoden's remark. Theoden could have said that at any other time when Aragorn and Eowyn were together and she was smiling at him, but the said it after he taken the cup.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 8:35 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

First of all, the feast at Helm's Deep was to honor the glorious dead who had fallen in battle at Helm's Deep. The goblet had originally been presented to Theoden King in order to do this. Perhaps, just perhaps, she may have been offering it to Aragorn because he had also played an important role in the defense of Helm's Deep, as Theoden King himself acknowledges when he speaks with Eowyn. Or, perhaps, she did wish to reveal her feelings to him and that's why she presented the goblet. Either way, there was no way he could refuse the goblet. And, whichever the case may be, Eowyn's feelings for Aragorn were quite obvious; a fact not unnoticed by Aragorn and thus he breaks the gaze and turns away. We must remember that Theoden does wish for Eowyn to be happy and he has no knowledge of Aragorn's love for Arwen. Therefore it would be logical for him to come along and give his approval of Aragorn, especially in light of the fact that he can clearly see Aragorn's kingly qualities and recognizes that the victory at Helm's Deep was largely due to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 8:48 am 

Very good post Guard of the Citadel. It sums up my own impressions pretty well, though I still can't determine whether it was Rohirric custom that the lady would present the goblet to the lords after the battle, similar to Medieval tradition. But whether it was customary or not it is obvious that Eowyn offers the cup to Aragorn with deeper affection than needed and he understands it. And you're right that Aragorn couldn't have refused to drink, as it might have been offending both tradition, costum and Eowyn's honour. But when he turns away so quickly he has only done what he is expected to, nothing more. Poor Eowyn and poor Theoden who respetably are left with hopes of an honourable husband and a hero who can lead the people to victory, all in vain.

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject: Re: Eowyn and Theoden
PostPosted: September 8th, 2011, 8:29 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

If this was some sort of custom be it for victory or courtship Aragorn would have known this. He's not knew to Rohan, it's stated clearly in the book and rough;y outlined in an extended scene in the Two Towers.

http://roleplayultimum.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://kyototig.posterous.com/shop-bann ... nd-baubles