Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eyown
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2005, 7:33 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Did anyone else like her better in the book than the movie? if so, why? If not, why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30th, 2005, 12:40 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

personally i liked her in the book. in the movie she just seamed to girly. i mean, they really played on the whole "i love aragorn and i'm a pretty girl" rather than the "wow, who's the hotty, i'll impress him with my sword"
eowyn should have so had more fighting, sword-weilding scenes or something. even if she just carried a sword with her or something. she was a more sad-masculine-'poor uncle' type of kid, in the movie shes just too girly!

i mean, no offence to PJ by any means or to Ngila (i forgot her last name) tyhe dresses were awesome, but just to feminine. if you look at eowyn's stats
only girl in house of men
taught how to weild a sword
resents orcs for her fathers death ---and indirectly her mothers death
was half raised by her brother when he uncle was uncaptasipated

she is not a feminine girl. i do prefer the books version of Eowyn, Lady of Rohan........but thats just my view.

Hannon le
Nev

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30th, 2005, 10:12 am 
Istari
Istari

I think I liked her more in the movies than in the book. I like both (just as I like both Faramirs) but the movie made Eowyn seem more real to me than in the books.

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2005, 12:00 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Well, I hate Eowyn either way but in the books she wasn't such a princess perfect

Wanna Glitter name? Just ask

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2005, 7:10 am 
Elf
Elf

I mostly agree with Nevrogwen. She had been raised by men, yet she seems very much a 'girl' in the movies. But I think they portrayed her sorrow very well in the movies. And I'm not sure what it would have been like if they made her less girly in the films. I can imagine it may have just confused people who didnt know the books. Make her seem a bit 'odd'.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2005, 3:29 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I really like Eowyn i don't know why i just feel like she is my soulmate:S

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2005, 3:52 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Hmm...I don't like her in movie...I like her in books I think...I don't know why but Let's say I can feel that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2005, 7:46 pm 
Maia
Maia

I liked her both ways, but I understood her better in the books, because she is going through a personal struggle and a bunch of changes and they just miss that in the movies. I know there wasn't that much time, but still; most people who saw only the movies don't get Eowyn cause of it.

Thank you for five-plus wonderful years of obsession, friendship and fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4th, 2005, 6:00 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

You're absolutely right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 5th, 2005, 10:46 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I do like her better in the book! Let's hope Mirand Otto dosen't read this!

My other TARDIS is a police box.

http://www.roleplayultimum.proboards100.com/index.cgi

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2005, 7:23 am 
Elf
Elf

Lol. Miranda did an awesome job. :) It is never an actors fault what the script and costumes are like, or what the final cut is. ;) Lets just hope PJ doesnt read that... :P
Or maybe we could admit that Tolkien writes so brilliantly that sometimes it cannot be portrayed on screen, even by the best of directors.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2005, 11:12 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

in the movie you don't see her strength, her heritage. her dad was a legend, her bringing that up in the book was awesome. then u also see the extent of her love...

Quote:
"begone foul dwimerlaik, lord of carion, leave the dead in peace"
"come not between the nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy tr=urn, instead, he will bear the away to the houses of lamentation where thy flesh shal be devoured and thy shriveled mind left naked to the lidless eye"
"do what u will, but i will hinder u if i may"
"hinder me! though fool, no living man may hinder me!"
then merry heard of all sounds in that hour, the strangest, it seemed as if dernhelm laughed, "but no living man am i, u look upon a woman, eowyn am i eomunds daughter, u stand between me and my lord and kin, begon for whether u be living or dark undead i will smite u if u touch him"
the winged creature screoamed at her, but the wraith remaind silent as if in sudden doubt......

much more profound than the 'i am no man' and then she kills him.....

thx Eruadan

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 18th, 2005, 10:59 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Black-Rider-11 wrote:
Well, I hate Eowyn either way but in the books she wasn't such a princess perfect

I'm sorry but it makes me mad, when people drop something like this into a conversation. Its very rude, and makes people not want to participate as much in the conversation. Eowyn, is (In my view) one of the most unique characters Tolkien created. He prolly turns in his grave when someone insults such an amazing character of his, that he spent over 15 years of his life developing. So you can hate Eowyn as much as you want... but dont say it. its offensive to those of us who like her.

Ok so, back on topicI liked Eowyn in both the books and the movies. I think they showed her love for Aragorn alot more in the movies. I think thats were people see her as girlie. I tought she was an amazing character in both. If you told me I had to choose, I would tell you... to bad because i cant! lol

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Come on
PostPosted: November 27th, 2005, 11:23 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

[quote]I'm sorry but it makes me mad, when people drop something like this into a conversation. Its very rude, and makes people not want to participate as much in the conversation. Eowyn, is (In my view) one of the most unique characters Tolkien created. He prolly turns in his grave when someone insults such an amazing character of his, that he spent over 15 years of his life developing. So you can hate Eowyn as much as you want... but dont say it. its offensive to those of us who like her.
[/quote]

oh come on. everyone has their own opinions. yes they could have been slightly more diplomatic but still. we all have the right to say how we feel.

sorry, i'm not in a good mood, maybe not the best time to be on the net, but oh wells.

Hannon le
Nev :bye2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2005, 8:48 am 

Nevrogwen wrote:
personally i liked her in the book. in the movie she just seamed to girly. i mean, they really played on the whole "i love aragorn and i'm a pretty girl" rather than the "wow, who's the hotty, i'll impress him with my sword"
eowyn should have so had more fighting, sword-weilding scenes or something. even if she just carried a sword with her or something. she was a more sad-masculine-'poor uncle' type of kid, in the movie shes just too girly!

i mean, no offence to PJ by any means or to Ngila (i forgot her last name) tyhe dresses were awesome, but just to feminine. if you look at eowyn's stats
only girl in house of men
taught how to weild a sword
resents orcs for her fathers death ---and indirectly her mothers death
was half raised by her brother when he uncle was uncaptasipated
Nev

I very strongly disagree with you on this point. For one thing, I don't know where people are getting this idea of her being raised as the only girl in a house of men. Sure, her mother was dead, and her aunt was dead, but she lived in the capitol city of Rohan. There were many other women around in Edoras, and I'm sure they would've helped raise Eowyn to some extent. There were undoubtedly women in Meduseld itself, cooking, cleaning, sewing (Eowyn's dresses, even) and doing other work. So I'm quite sure she had some exposure to women.
I don't think Eowyn was half as masculine as many people assume her to be. Yes, she knew how to use a sword, yes, she preffered fighting to staying behind. But what do you think she wore if not nice dresses...pants? (with all due respect.) In her day and age, it would have been extremely inappropriate to wear anything but dresses, and because she was royalty, it would have been even more inappropriate to dress very plainly. Honor and status were important in her time.

Quote:
i mean, they really played on the whole "i love aragorn and i'm a pretty girl" rather than the "wow, who's the hotty, i'll impress him with my sword"

This I don't understand. Are you saying that she should have said "wow, who's the hotty, I'll impress him with my sword"? Because she never thought that in the book, at least not from what I understood. She didn't go to battle to impress Aragorn; there's no way that could have been what she was thinking, because he'd just gone into the Paths of the Dead, remember? She thought he was done for. She went out of despair, or that's the impression I got.
Also- why should she have had more fighting, sword weilding scenes in the movie? She didn't in the book. Would've changed her completely. I don't see how it would have fit in.

Anyway. Just my $.02.

Kudos to Kitoky for the fabulous signature set, and art credit to engelszorn.
Who wants to join me in bringing back the lady?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2005, 10:05 pm 
Maia
Maia

yes, I didn't agree with either of those statements. I prefer the "I am a poor unloved person so when I see this cool guy I fall in love accidentally and thus regain hope until he smashes it to peices and then I attempt to commit suicide" version.

Thank you for five-plus wonderful years of obsession, friendship and fun